Garmin Usb And Perl

PetsAllOver

I just did a Lightning Talk at Toronto Perl Mongers last week. The audio recording and slides will be up in the next few days at http://hew.ca/talks_audio/

I presented GPS::Garmin, and introduced the gang to geocaching. The module successfully retrieved some version numbers, current time, current location, via USB from my 60C. It didn't retrieve tracks or waypoints. When I find the time, I'll look into the tracks and waypoint changes required, but I don't know when.

Oops, I just noticed you were asking about uploading, not downloading. I haven't even considered uploading yet. All I'm looking for right now are downloading tracks (where GPSbable only downloaded a fraction of the tracks anyway.)

I started to get concerned that this is the second time today I've heard allegations of GPSBabel not doing tracks correctly, but I now see that both reports are from the same person.

GPSBabel will upload or download tracks from at least some Garmins. I have no problem believing there's some corner case somewhere in some specific model of the hardware that may not be handled right. (Heaven knows Garmin protocols are a pain - that's why I advised the dude above to Just Say No.) But I'd much rather stare at protocol dumps and/or work with you to fix the problem than to read repeatedly in the forums about how broken GPSBabel is.

In fact, since GPS::Garmin doesn't really know about USB, I wonder if you're running afoul of the broken kernel module in recnet Linux kernels that should be removed for successful USB xfers per http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html