Ammo Can Question

twjolson & Kay

Briansnat: Is that a rubber washer/gasket between the metal washer and can on the inside/outside?  I would think a gasket or caulk would be requried to maintain watertightness.
Nice, thank you very much everyone. Brainsnat, if you could give a little more details on how you did that, parts, etc. I would be grateful.

1 1/8" eye bolt

2 nuts

2 flat rubber faucet washers

2 metal washers

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the ammo box (tight fit).

Next I screwed on a nut all the way to the end of the thread on the eye bolt so it was snug up against the "eye".

Then I slid on a metal washer, then a rubber washer (so the rubber washer was in contact with the ammo box.

I threaded the eye bolt through the hole in the ammo box.

Then on the inside of the box I slipped on a rubber washer, then a metal washer and then the other nut and tightened it.

Done.

I didn't need any caulk or sealant because the rubber washers were a very tight fit on the bolt and when I tightened it they flattened out and sealed even better.

Edited by briansnat

wouldn't it be easier to just get a secion of flat bar stock thats bent at a 90 and padlock to the end of the 'latch'. With the bar sitting over the face of the can you wouldn't be able to get it open without remove the lock.

ok rereading, it doesn't make much sense. I'll see if i can find some pictures, there are places that sell something like I'm describing.

Here's one

just put that short bolt with the hole threw the shaft under the latch with the end with the hole out. Then slip the L piece over it and padlock it down.

this place has a picture

ammolock1.JPG

Edited by welch
wouldn't it be easier to just get a secion of flat bar stock thats bent at a 90 and padlock to the end of the 'latch'. With the bar sitting over the face of the can you wouldn't be able to get it open without remove the lock.

Doesn't that require welding the L bar to the can? I do not have that ability. Plus, the link that was posted at maglock, seems quite similar to the eyebolt idea, but likely more expensive and I can't get it right at homedepot.

The only thing I need is to make the hole on the latch bigger, any ideas?

Too lazy to take a pic, upload it, etc, but I have an ammo can with a lock on it ready to go.

The latches that are attached to a door, one that has a slot that swings over a little piece with a hole to put the lock, I don't know what they are called, but it's similar to the bend flatbar pic on up a few posts.

I bolted some to the ammo box, bending the bolts over on the inside to prevent disassembly. Epoxy putty sealed 'er up tight. Looking at it, Brian's idea seems like it would work mucho better.

Doesn't that require welding the L bar to the can? I do not have that ability. Plus, the link that was posted at maglock, seems quite similar to the eyebolt idea, but likely more expensive and I can't get it right at homedepot.

No I don't think welding is involved. If you welded that L down, you would have problems ever getting the can back open <_< .

They're all similar in that they keep the latch held down so the cache can't be opened.

The difference is that in this case your not cutting holes threw the side of the cache (which need to be sealed up to keep the ammo can waterproof).

Brian,

Is that a lock nut on the inside of the box? If it isn't it looks like you could turn the eye bolt (using the lock as leverage) and unscrew the entire assembly. A lock nut would prevent this.

No, but if you turn the eye bolt whole thing turns so it won't loosen.

What if the hole in the front flap is too small for a eyebolt? What would you recommend in widening the hole?

The eye bolt is only 1/8" so it can fit through a pretty small hole. The only problem I could thinki of would be if the hole was too big.