Starting A Cache

Lacrosse Fox

I want to start a cache. im thinking a film container and a peanut butter jar. Ive pretty much got a topic picked. im thinking of doing lacrosse or halo 2 or something i can come up with. i live in a residential area with many wooded areas nearby. so i think im going to do two caches. because it seems that there arent any caches with room for items anymore.

Lacrosse Fox

Go for it. Just do your homework on the location first. You may want to choose a better container though. Lock & Lock containers have been mentioned around here many times. Next time you go shopping pick up some. I saw a set of 8 containers (small to large) for $20. I think they would hold up better than the peanut butter jar & film can - critters and water will get in sooner or later.

Ammo boxes work a little better than peanut butter jars. Because, they are more resistent to weather and animals. If there is any trace of food on the container, and animal will rip it apart, film canisters ARE NOT waterproof either.

If you choose to go micro, make sure the log won't be soggy after a nice rain.

Cache on!

Don't use the peanut butter container!

You will never get the smell out therefore ani-muggles will log a find :laughing:

I have had very good luck with peanut butter containers. YOu just have to wash the real well. I let them site for about a month filled with soapy dish water. then I paint them with Flat green and Flat brown spray paint and then glue camouflage fabric to them.

Camouflage tape can be used, but you should use the type that has a flat finish, i have found caches that are cover with tape that has a glossy shine to it because I could see the light reflecting from the surface of the tape.

Peanut butter jars can work, as JV accounted. But if the cachers screws that cap on, and not "completely" and somehow that comes off its a mess.

Ammo cans have a usually straight forward design, it's either open or closed.

Lock n' Locks also have decently good reviews as far as water sealing.