Best Kid-friendly Caches In The Seattle Area

Team Maccabee

Hi all,

I'm pretty new at geocaching and am trying to convine my kids (5 and 7 year old boys) that this is an awesome activity for us. I'm going to be taking then and maybe 2 other young friends out on Sunday. Does anyone have any strong recommendations for caches that I should go to (and proselytize with) that will help me convince them -- e.g. cool 'treasures', interesting hide (but not too hard), unique landmarks, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Team Maccabee's Abba

Hi all,

I'm pretty new at geocaching and am trying to convine my kids (5 and 7 year old boys) that this is an awesome activity for us.  I'm going to be taking then and maybe 2 other young friends out on Sunday.  Does anyone have any strong recommendations for caches that I should go to (and proselytize with) that will help me convince them -- e.g. cool 'treasures', interesting hide (but not too hard), unique landmarks, etc.

Thanks for your help!

Team Maccabee's Abba

This isn't exactly what you were asking for, but this upcoming event would be a great way to introduce kids to geocaching -- Simply Ear-Resistable!

It's on Saturday afternoon, October 8, in Conway (between Mount Vernon and Stanwood). It looks like there are going to be lots of kids there, and there will be plenty of fun activities for the whole family! Check out the webpage for more info.

Here's a few.

Bad Kids Went To Martha's

A little used park on the shore of Lake Washington

Wash Out For That Lake

I hate to add one of mine, but I adopted this one. At the north tip of Seward Park. About two miles round trip so younger ones may have trouble.

D'oh!!! Elvis Has Left the Hat n' Boots!!

A cute bit of Seattle history.

I'll tell ya, country clubs and cemeteries . . .

A little jaunt around south Seattle with an interesting little cemetary at the end.

At The End Of Birch Lane

An easy cache near Mt. Baker beach with some artwork nearby done by local students.

A Stroll In The Park

A delightful little park with an interesting restroom. You have to see it to understand.

Born On The 4th Of July

A great view of the Rainier Valley and an easy cache to find.

Lincoln Logs In Lincoln Park

Find the Lincoln Logs and make a cabin. Set up for kids.

Three Coins in the Fountain

A neat little pond near Madrona.

Kubota Garden

OK, I will put one of my real caches in here. This one is probably one of the better gardens in the city. A great place for the kids to explore.

Since you said Seattle, I only suggested caches in the city. There are many others outside the city and I only picked ones from the south end since I am most familiar with them,

I cache with a three year old, and have done almost all of the ones listed here. My daughter was thrilled with them all. Her faves were probably Very Bunny, Kubota Garden (lots of paths and I let her choose which way to go) and I'll Tell Ya, country Clubs and Cemetaries (she likes graveyards, what can I say). I haven't done the KirklandExplorer caches yet, but those sound like just the thing for the younger set.

Good luck.

Sarah

WATreasureHunters