Too Many Caches By One Person

Ok, in the Denver area there is one cacher who must have placed literally a hundred caches! The thing is they're all puzzle caches and brain teasers and sequels to previous caches and on and on and on. I've tried a couple of these and they were NOT enjoyable. I thought this was about the GPS, the satelites, the triangulation, the treasure hunt, the finding and the trading. When did it become a quiz show or a math test??? I have to say I'm tired of seeing one cacher's name filling up page after page of cache listings. And I'm tired of all the uninteresting micros and puzzles. Am I crazy?

Ummm, if you bang your head against the wall five times and it hurts, whose fault is it if you bang it a sixth time and you get the same result?

I absolutely suck at puzzles because I lack math skills and code-solving skills. So other than looking at them once to see if the puzzles can be solved with my limited skills, I just skip them. I know, however, that others enjoy a good puzzle above all else. Are they having fun? GREAT! I am not about to rain on their parade.

So there's 100 puzzles in Denver. Big deal. I understand that there are some mountains nearby where you can hike for miles in order to find a big old ammo can. There are probably more than 100 ammo cans. Go find them if that's what you like!

So what I'm really hearing is not "What is too many caches by one person?" as the title would suggest, but "Why are people hiding caches that I don't enjoy?"

Geocaching is about what you want it to be...The great thing about the game is that there's something in it for everyone to enjoy.

I generally don't like the brain-busting puzzle caches, but quite a few of my caching friends absolutely love them. Fortunately, there are still plenty of other caches I know I do enjoy, and I already have plenty of ways to eliminate the caches that I don't care for. I can use pocket queries to filter out the types of caches I'm not fond of. I can use GSAK to weed out caches by particular hiders if I don't like their style.

By the by...I couldn't find anyone in the Denver area with nearly 100 hides.

I find it funny that some that has not taken the time (going by your profile) to hide even one cache themself for others to enjoy seems to be complaining about someone else placing to many that they don't enjoy.

Go hide one or two of the type of caches you like looking for and maybe the people that find them will enjoy them so much they will start placing the same type of caches in your area.

to the op:

you can go through the "find nearest cache", click on the caches one by one, and manually click to "ignore" each and every cache by this hider, then you won't have to look at the listings

nfa-jamie

Edited by NFA
I have to say I'm tired of seeing one cacher's name filling up page after page of cache listings. And I'm tired of all the uninteresting micros and puzzles.

That's why God inented the "Ignore" button. We've got a cacher 'round these parts that thinks dropping a film cannister in the shrubbery of every Burger King in the state is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Since hunting poorly hidden film cannisters isn't my idea of fun, I just click "Ignore" and move on.

Play the game you want to play, the way you want to play it, and you won't be disappointed. :lol:

Ok, in the Denver area there is one cacher who must have placed literally a hundred caches! The thing is they're all puzzle caches and brain teasers and sequels to previous caches and on and on and on. I've tried a couple of these and they were NOT enjoyable. I thought this was about the GPS, the satelites, the triangulation, the treasure hunt, the finding and the trading. When did it become a quiz show or a math test??? I have to say I'm tired of seeing one cacher's name filling up page after page of cache listings. And I'm tired of all the uninteresting micros and puzzles. Am I crazy?

So whats worse, someone who hides to many of the kind you do not like or someone who never hides any?

I'm going to ignore the OP's post and stick to the topic. :lol:

You can follow my example and do the same - IGNORE caches of certain types or hidden by certain person if they don't suit your style.

There have been cases where a single hider takes up all the parks in a city with mediocre hide styles, which takes away a lot of potential hiding places for future hiders. I think that's a more relevant topic to discuss.

There have been cases where a single hider takes up all the parks in a city with mediocre hide styles, which takes away a lot of potential hiding places for future hiders. I think that's a more relevant topic to discuss.

Yes, that's interesting too. And that is why the cache saturation rule says more than just keeping the caches at least 528 feet apart. So why is it that, when a reviewer questions someone who saturates an area with lots of caches .1 or .2 miles apart, there are so many forum threads, e-mails, etc., that flame the supposed arbitrariness of the reviewers?

Yes, that's interesting too. And that is why the cache saturation rule says more than just keeping the caches at least 528 feet apart. So why is it that, when a reviewer questions someone who saturates an area with lots of caches .1 or .2 miles apart, there are so many forum threads, e-mails, etc., that flame the supposed arbitrariness of the reviewers?

Ah...there's the rub.

Ah...there's the rub.

Maybe because they dont question the hider as they should?

(trick ?=I live in MN=home of over-saturation of mediocre hides)

Edit to include proper quotation :lol:

Edited by Pto

Maybe because they dont question the hider as they should?

(trick ?=I live in MN=home of over-saturation of mediocre hides)

You erased my quote! :lol:

I think you can see the tide. Someone does puzzle caches because they enjoy them. Cacher owners make this game possible. They have taken the time, spent the money and placed the caches. You don't have to like them, or even do them, but you should respect that while you don't like this persons caches, you probably enjoy the ones placed by their brother in law, their friends, their caching buddies and so on. If they can maintain their caches then they are good to go. Puzzle caches get less finders. If over time they decide they want more finders they will start making easier puzzles, increasing the prizes they give for finders, or placing regular caches. There is room in this game for many styles. Nobody said you couldn't get help solving the puzzles either.

Edited by Renegade Knight
...There have been cases where a single hider takes up all the parks in a city with mediocre hide styles, which takes away a lot of potential hiding places for future hiders. I think that's a more relevant topic to discuss.

This is the flip side of the coin. You shouldn't dominate your area and it's a courtesy to leave room enough for other cachers to place their own caches. If all they have left is parking lots, that's what they will use for their hide.

twjolson & Kay=

Nice reply- People like you love to throw around attitude - probably makes you feel real important huh?

It gives these boards the reputation of about the most un-user-freindly sites on the web-

Why not just keep yer BS to yerself.

Edited by Pto

There are brain puzzles caches in my area, I have figured a few out, but there are some I said the heck with it. I would rather be caching outside, then sitting inside banging my head on my desk, or surfing the net for a formula to solve the puzzle.

We also I have a cacher that seems no matter were you are in the state, you can find one of his caches. So that only means there are a lot more caches to find.

Remember we are all metric sockets, in a standard world!

Fireman121

Coon Rapids, MN

Edited by fireman121
twjolson & Kay=

Nice reply- People like you love to throw around attitude - probably makes you feel real important huh?

It gives these boards the reputation of about the most un-user-freindly sites on the web-

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I thought this was about the GPS, the satelites, the triangulation, the treasure hunt, the finding and the trading.

Well leave the Denver area and come North, I've got some of your triangualtions, and long hikes etc., etc, etc. After a full day on the mountain looking for the elusive and complicated caches you will need some advil and a few beers.

Don't feel bad Strapped, I asked this question awhile back and received the same response. There are people out here who agree with you they just don't want to get bashed by the people who don't agree. Whether or not it is a puzzle isn't all that important to me but I really don't think that someone can properly maintain that many caches. I would like to personally apologize for the response that you received for simply stating your opinion. I would bet that had you complimented this guy and his 100 caches the response would have been different. But many of these people don't like to criticism in anyway. It's all about numbers for many of our peers.

Around here we used to have just a few ice cream parlors. They were mostly independent. Some had some really cool flavors but most just sold chocolate and vanilla. Then one day Baskin-Robins started opening stores. Sure they had 31 flavors but the mom-and-pop places couldn't compete. Geesh! How many Baskin-Robins stores do you need. Oh, well I'll keep looking and maybe find a few of the old mom-and-pop stores around. Meanwhile, maybe they can ban all those 27 flavors I don't like. :laughing:

How about mind your own business. If someone else is hiding puzzles and you don't have the wit to figure them out, just hit the big "Ignore" button and go on living your tiny little life. I know, you didn't think of that and your first thought was to whine to everyone online, but it's ok, I'm here to help.

Boy, somebody needs a hug!! :laughing:

It's all about numbers for many of our peers.

If it's 'all about the numbers', wouldn't our peers be defending the idea of easy-to-find traditional caches instead of the more difficult puzzles?

True, the tone of the responses have been on the sharp side. But so too was the original post - it's a valid question; why are they criticizing the effort others are putting into hiding containers before doing so themselves? If they don't like difficult puzzles, that's cool. They should just get out and hide some of the sort they would like to find. Perhaps they'll start a trend...

As Aesop said: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Ya don't like mystery caches, ignore them. The same is true of bison tubes hidden in prickly evergreens. Or whatever kinds of caches you, I, or someone else does not care for.

The only place it becomes an issue is on 'nearby lists'. I don't do cemetery caches. That's my prerogative. You may love them. The three on our nearby lists will ever remain unfound by us. I do have an island cache nearby, that may take some effort. (I can see the headline now: Dolphin drowns in reservoir!) The other island cache is unobtainable. Oh, well. Such is life!

Yes, I've done my share of lame micros, and lame ammo cans hidden in the woods. It gives me experience in many aspects of this game. I have discovered three or four local cachers whose method of hiding caches does not interest me at all. And I shall ignore most of their caches. My prerogative.

I apologize to the locals who do not like my mystery caches. Oh, well. Those who have found them have enjoyed the challenge. Won't stop me from hiding a few more. :laughing:

Hunt what you like to hunt. Hide what you like to hunt. Ignore what does not interest you. I don't see where there's a problem here.

Ok, in the Denver area there is one cacher who must have placed literally a hundred caches!  The thing is they're all puzzle caches and brain teasers and sequels to previous caches and on and on and on.  I've tried a couple of these and they were NOT enjoyable.

As other posters have stated, use the "Ignore" feature of the site and you'll never have to see them in your queries.

I thought this was about the GPS, the satelites, the triangulation, the treasure hunt, the finding and the trading.

It is, but...

When did it become a quiz show or a math test???

...many people, myself included, want to do things similar to this to add a different sort of spice to the game, because even though you may not like this sort of cache, other people do.

I have to say I'm tired of seeing one cacher's name filling up page after page of cache listings.  And I'm tired of all the uninteresting micros and puzzles.

Hence, one of the biggest reasons for the "Ignore" feature.

Am I crazy?

Nope, not at all. I do puzzle caches, but I'm certainly not a fan of doing them all the time and I can see where one person saturating an area with them can be annoying. I wouldn't get too upset about it, however. Just ignore the ones you don't like and go after the ones you do. Believe me, there's people in many parts of the country (or world) that would love to have to caching opportunities you have in your area.

All I can say is, it's so much more fun to hide than to find.

Find a new place to make hides, get permission, and open up a whole new area to make hides. Then show em how it's done!

When folks go for your hides in droves, other hiders will notice. Hiders love logged finds of their caches, and will more often than not tailor their hides to make them more attractive to the community.

We talk a lot with other active hiders in the area, and we often work with other hiders to make sure everybody has a chance to place a hide in any area they want to hide in. Once other hiders know you want to make hides, I bet they'll make sure that you get the chance also. Believe it or not, the hider in your area probably wishes they had some help 'doing the work' that supports the area's caching community.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Excellent post, tands. Also in many areas, if you feel like a hider is monopolizing a park, you can talk to them at an event or send them an e-mail to ask if they'd make some room for you to hide a cache. If approached politely, many owners would be glad to archive their oldest caches in a park to make room for new ones. Everyone local has already found the old ones, and the "monopolizer" is happy to have a new cache to find instead of an old cache to maintain.

Hiders make the game, and break it.

At the point when one cacher influences cache styles for a whole region, that have hidden too many.

Variety is the spice of life, if there are too many of one thing, it gets quite boring to be honest.

I'm addressing the "Title" rather than the OP, because the OP's argument sounded more like a "Hide more caches that I like, and if you like them too bad." Which is kind of OT of his on post.

Find all types of caches in moderation, that will keep your "fire" going.

:laughing: (Team AO Ninja)

Nice reply- People like you love to throw around attitude

I'm not the only one throwing around attitute and BS now am I, hypocrite.

I have no problem with people asking questions, learning, growing. But this stupid whine, whine, whine is stupid. Everyday another whiner complaining because someone else is doing something they don't like. Or, they don't have the intelligence to answer their own simple stupid question. This isn't rocket science, it's a game, a game that everyone plays their own way, yet everyday someone finds YET another way to complain about what another person is doing. This is why these boards are so "unfriendly" you can only see so many stupid questions repeated before you freaking snap.

Around here we used to have just a few ice cream parlors. They were mostly independent. Some had some really cool flavors but most just sold chocolate and vanilla. Then one day Baskin-Robins started opening stores. Sure they had 31 flavors but the mom-and-pop places couldn't compete. Geesh! How many Baskin-Robins stores do you need. Oh, well I'll keep looking and maybe find a few of the old mom-and-pop stores around. Meanwhile, maybe they can ban all those 27 flavors I don't like. :laughing:

Well said. The flavors of ice cream I don't care for is few! Each to his own.

Nice reply- People like you love to throw around attitude

I'm not the only one throwing around attitute and BS now am I, hypocrite.

I have no problem with people asking questions, learning, growing. But this stupid whine, whine, whine is stupid. Everyday another whiner complaining because someone else is doing something they don't like. Or, they don't have the intelligence to answer their own simple stupid question. This isn't rocket science, it's a game, a game that everyone plays their own way, yet everyday someone finds YET another way to complain about what another person is doing. This is why these boards are so "unfriendly" you can only see so many stupid questions repeated before you freaking snap.

So why not just ignore the post instead of trying to heat it up?

Move along; nothing to see here.

So, you've snapped. Your remarks are unnecessary; in your own words, "this stupid whine, whine, whine is stupid."

Try being an ostrich and bury your head, and above all, stop whining about people whining. It gives me a headache. :unsure::laughing:

So why not just ignore the post instead of trying to heat it up?

because I'm sick of ignoring an entire message board. That's all there is here, whining and pointless posts. We could use this board for info and teaching, but idiots decide to turn it into a place to whine or complain or pester people with idiotic questions. I'm sick of logging in just to see stupid post after stupid post. This message board could be so much better, so much could be learned, but all there is idiots.

And, I'm not heating it up, I'm expressing my opinion, just as others are allowed to do. I'm just not afraid to call a post, or a person stupid if they are stupid. Maybe this message board would be a bit better if people grew some balls and stopped others from wasting our time.

Edited by twjolson & Kay
This message board could be so much better, so much could be learned, but all there is idiots.

Personally, I think the forums could be better if we all kept the guidelines in mind when we post. Especially the "respect" parts.

Maybe this message board would be a bit better if people grew some balls and stopped others from wasting our time.

Excellent suggestion....I'm equipped...I'll see what I can do.

Bret

We could use this board for info and teaching, but idiots decide to turn it into a place to whine or complain or pester people with idiotic questions.

I will call you on using the board for info and teaching. Would you please start a thread that demonstrates what you are talking about? Perhaps post a few sample messages?

First, I have to comment on your nick. I thought I was the only Strapped out there. For convenience I've taken to abbreviating mine to S-4-C.

Back to the topic. I enjoy and have placed puzzle caches as well as a few easy hides. I am by no means prolific in my hides, though. About a year ago we had someone in my area who decided to start placing boatloads of micros throughout the area. His hides soon began to consume PQ content and shrink the area that a PQ would cover due to the volume of the micros he had placed. His containers were inventive and he had chosen some good (and not so good) locations to place them.

The easiest solution was to implement the "ignore" feature or to filter PQs for micros only, having a second PQ for all others. Although you may not want to see or work on this cachers hides, they have still been placed and other cachers may enjoy hunting them. There's no rule that says you have to find every one in your area.

If the person placing these caches has managed to use up all of the viable spots to place a cache then I might be inclined to start a dialogue with them. However, the area I live in is far from being saturated even with as many hides as are already out there.

Hopefully the advice you've received in this thread will have helped. There's too many caches out there to get bent out of shape over a few that you don't like. Chase down the ones you DO like and ignore the rest.

Regards,

S-4-C

OK, let me see if I've got this right, so far: We don't like puzzles, we do like puzzles, we don't like hiders that hide too many caches, we don't like cachers who hide zero caches, we don't like lame micros, we don't like OPs tht post off topic to their own thread, we don't like people who flame in the forums, we don't like mod-whores, We don't like people who start topics that we think are stupid, but we only like chocolate and vanilla ice cream, and we all need to grow some balls. Have I left anything out?

Great!! :laughing:

Time to go play hide and seek!!

As for me, as long as the caches are maintianed there should be no problem.

I can understand not liking puzzle caches, I cannot figure them out for anything. I have only been able to figure out two of them, one required knowing morse code which I already knew, the second one I had to learn how to read basic music to do which took me a couple of hours of internet work to figure out. If I wasn't trying for a FTF I would not have bothered. Now I just ignore puzzle caches unless I am with a large group, then the group works then out together.