Lithum Battery For A Garmin Gps12xl

murfster

These units are glued (fused, no screws that I can find) together, altho I have cracked my partically open I have yet to take a look at the battery. Mine has been telling me that the memory battery (assume this is the one that you are talking about) is low since I bought it in 2002. I have yet to lose any waypoints, track logs or routes (think thats it for the memory, they have no maps). If that is all that is wrong with it, a warning when you first turn it on, but you don't lose any waypoints, then I would not mess with it, mine has been that way for 3 years. I am going to send mine in soon as the before mentioned cracked case, memory battery along with torn rubber and backlight out. It has been a great GPS tho, over 500 caches found with it, lots of abuse, drops and it still helps me find the caches. Night caching is more difficult with no backlight and I get worried in the rain with the crack on the top, I still love my GPS12CX, not sure if the model would make a difference over the XL.

Has any one ever changed the internal battery on a unit like this or had experience having it done? Is it worth it on an older unit?

Murfster

Have you tried contacting Garmin? At one point they were replacing the units even when they were out of warranty.

I used to have a plain 12 and I remember seeing websites with internal photo's and specs on the battery but I don't have the links and a quick Google search didn't turn up much. IIRC the repair involved using a dremel tool to saw open the case along the seam and epoxying it together afterwards.

From a dealer..

Q. What do I do when my unit displays a "Low Memory Battery" message?

A. If you have a cigarette lighter adapter cable or a power data cable, plug the unit into a power source for three days (car, boat, etc.) to recharge the internal memory battery. If you do not have one of these cables, place a fresh set of AA batteries in the unit and leave the unit powered off for approximately five days. Once the internal memory battery is recharged, the "Low Memory Battery" message should no longer be displayed.

If the message persists, you will need to return the GPS unit to Garmin so the internal memory battery can be replaced.

The unit belongs to a friend who dug it out after no use for a couple years.. so I'm betting the new AA's will due the trick.

Thanks ...

Murfster

Q. What do I do when my unit displays a "Low Memory Battery" message?

A. If you have a cigarette lighter adapter cable or a power data cable, plug the unit into a power source for three days (car, boat, etc.) to recharge the internal memory battery. If you do not have one of these cables, place a fresh set of AA batteries in the unit and leave the unit powered off for approximately five days. Once the internal memory battery is recharged, the "Low Memory Battery" message should no longer be displayed.

This sounds like nonsense. The last time I checked lithium batteries were not rechargeable. Don't confuse them with Lithium-ion batteries which are (like in your lap-tapper) . I suspect the GPS is designed to draw current from the AA batteries to back the memory up, but draws from the internal lithium when these batteries fall below a certain voltage, hence your friend's unit has used up its internal battery.

I've never replaced a lithium battery in a GPS, but I've done plenty in other radio and computer apparatus. This is usually a very straightforward swap. There are some products that lose the internal programme and you have to re-load the firmware, but I haven't seen any products like this made in the last 15 years. I doubt your GPS will lose its mind during a lithium swap. The hardest part may be just figuring out how to dismantle the unit. :lol:

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I have had no problem with changing this battery in other equipment also, but have been hesitant to replace it in my GPS. Leaving it plugged in or set aside with fresh batteries has not fixed the problem in 3 years and other then the warning I have had no ill effects (unlike our PDA or laptop). I would leave it unless it is resetting each time it is off with no power source. Once I finally get around to sending mine in for all of my current problems, I have no plans on attempting this one myself.

edit - spelling of course

Edited by Shawn&Holly

From http://www.batterymart.com/battery_faq.php

"The practical difference between Lithium batteries and Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries is that most Lithium batteries are not rechargeable but Li-ion batteries are rechargeable."

So there are Lithium batteries (that are not Li-ion) that are rechargable. Garmin uses such a one.

At least that complies with the story I was told about the internal-battery-problem of the Garmin GPS12 series. As follows:

"the internal Li-battery will be recharged all the time there is a battery in the compartment. There is some controlling hardware for this inside. The problem is that this component sometimes needs a voltage higher than what NiMh can deliver to perform its function. There are some GPS12 series where even the voltage of alkaline batteries is not enough to start the recharge circuit. Then after about 2 years the internal battery runs out of juice. Garmin takes full responsibility of this manufacture error and replaces all GPSr's suffering from this fault. "

We had some discussion on the New Zealand forum a while back regarding the memory battery.

I've replaced 3 now quite successfully. The battery is a Panasonic Lithium Vandium Pentoxide rechargable model number VL1220 which costs about US$4 here. Here's the link to the discussion: GPS 12 Memory Battery

It's very easy to open the case, I use the edge of a 6" steel ruler now. A fine tip soldering iron is essential and a "solder sucker" very very handy.