Covered Bridges

I am interedsted in adding a sub-category "Covered Bridges", under structures/bridges. Being new , this may also fall under Historical Places instead of structures/bridges. I feel that this would be an interesting subject of our past. Thanks for your consideration.

Edited by deano1943

Yes to Covered Bridges subcategory. I would drive many miles to cross a CB and have visited many worldwide over the years of touring.

As a lifetime member of the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Waymarking would be a good way of promoting their protection. If the current locationaless owner is not interested and the OP does not want to moderate this category, I would certainly offer to do so.

Suggestion would be to have a few sub-subcategories for the authentic wooden truss bridges which have a number in the World Guide to CBs, so as to distinguish access:

Covered Bridge active roadway

Covered Bridge active railway

Covered Bridge pedestrian

Additionally subcategories for

Wooden Bridge Romantic Shelters (these include all the look alike bridges in parks, golf courses etc which are not authentic wooden truss bridges)

Wooden Pony Truss (maybe covered but not roofed)

Covered Bridges Gone but not forgotten (locations of previous CB)

Each year a few more wooden bridges are lost to flooding, arson or demolition. I would allow previous bridge sites since they sometimes have historic markers. If the bridge is lost, an existing waymark could be moved to gone category. If a bridge is relocated to another location such as a park, a new waymark could be added. Occasionally a new covered bridges is built, but they are usually not authenic with the wooden truss holding the weight of the entire bridge, but rather a steel with concrete span covered with walls and roof. These are still interesting to list among Romantic Shelters but I would not mix them with historic bridges unless they are truly built in the traditional way.

Might also support a Covered Bridge oddities subcategory for annual festivals, special events or that building that looks like a CB.

May your bridges be covered and your ways be marked.

Two thumbs up.

Similar to benchmarking, and building on a previous comment, I suggest having a field where you select the condition of the bridge: "Good" (very well kept); "Fair" (Shows signs of wear but supports traffic); "Poor" (May only allow pedestrians or closed to all traffic); "Threatened/Restoring" (Major work is being done on or around the bridge where the state of the bridge is not clear); "Destroyed" (Strong evidence showed that there was a bridge but is now missing); and "Moved" (Bridge moved miles to another location, such as a museum or another crossing).

These are truly treasures, and it is sad when they get so dilapidated that they have to be demolished. I know of one effort, though, where the bridge now sits on concrete blocks to the side of the road. The local historical society is trying to raise money to replace the pilings and restore the bridge.

A resounding "Yes" from this Hoosier! Love the idea, and as the folks in our area are spooling up for our annual "Covered Bridge Festival", you'll probably get more 'yeas' as this Waymarking business busts open. The fam and I are headed up to the festival on Saturday, I'm going to starting getting coordinates then.

(Yes, I realize it's not an 'official' catagory yet, but why wait?)