Map Caliration

J&W602639

I have a Magellan SporTrak Map with Mapsend Streets and Destinations USA loaded in for the mapping. My only problem has been that while driving along a road the Cursor is sometimes off the road a considerable distance, depending on the zoom factor, the closer the zoom, the further off it seems. Enough that in city streets it's sometimes difficult to tell which street you're on. Is this normal or is there some way to calibrate the map to my GPSr?

Edited by J&W602639

I have the same problem with my sportrak map. The magellan website is absolutely no help. I have been told that it is just a deviation in the system and that I would have to learn to live with it.

Amongst other reasons, this is why my next, imminent GPSr will be eithere a Lowrance (most likely) or a Garmin.

I have been told that it is just a deviation in the system and that I would have to learn to live with it.

Amongst other reasons, this is why my next, imminent GPSr will be eithere a Lowrance (most likely) or a Garmin.

It's not a Magellan-specific problem. MapSend Streets&Dest. is their older mapping product and is based on the Census Bureau TIGER database which was also the source for Garmin's old Roads&Recreation maps. This database wasn't originally designed for use in conjunction with today's accurate GPS receivers and has significant deviations on some roads (and in certain cases whole regions are displaced due to errors when the database was created).

Magellan's newer maps (DirectRoute and 3DTopo) are based on the NavTeq database which is generally more accurate. NavTeq data is also used in Garmin's current street maps (MetroGuide/CitySelect/CityNav) and the newer Lowrance street maps. While more accurate overall than TIGER, there are still particular streets that are displaced from their actual locations.

I had the same problem while using it with my sportrack color. as in the previous post. its off a old info. the wildest part if you have not noticed yet is lots of the highways are only marked going onway on the highway.

I just order direct route and will soon see the new additions. If I should have waited for the new directroute cd that some have mentions with all the software on it . and all you do is just activite it over the net.

flir67--------

Edited by flir67