Iowa Geocoin

CacheDragons

We had a small glitch on the the art work but that has been resolved and as soon as the coin manufacturer gives me the finalized drawing I will post it. I would rather not show it until its been finalized. I hope to have it all finalized next week. For anyone who has made a coin you start finding out how cost goes up everytime you blink. So even next week we may have a little tweaking going on, but I hope not.

Just because this coin is not associated with IGO doesn't mean the coin isn't automatically a personal coin.

Who can create a state geocoin if one isn't created? Is there a rule about this, or can anyone produce a state geocoin?

Wow that first sentence had me doing backflips...

Regarding who can:

I seem to recall someone from Kirkland Washington producing a North Dakota coin <_<:(

Just because this coin is not associated with IGO doesn't mean the coin isn't automatically a personal coin.

Who can create a state geocoin if one isn't created? Is there a rule about this, or can anyone produce a state geocoin?

Wow that first sentence had me doing backflips...

Regarding who can:

I seem to recall someone from Kirkland Washington producing a North Dakota coin :(<_<

My next question, which of course is rhetorical: How long will it be before a person or group hires themselves out to produce a state coin for states that have no coin yet?

I know this sounds strange, but what would stop a person in Idaho from making a West Virginia coin? Does Groundspeak have any say about who gets to make the state coins? I also noticed that 9key from Texas is doing the New Mexico Coin. Don't get me wrong, the reason I am asking is, I live in Kentucky on the border with West Virginia and Ohio and I am currently the president of our local geocachers club (KYOWVA Geocachers) and there is already a Kentucky and Ohio coin, but not a West Virginia and we are the only organized group that has any representation for West Virginia. I was thinking of doing a West Virginia Geocoin.

I can't believe that bugger produced a coin for North Dakota and he doesn't live there! Oh wait, that was me <_<

I know I am a trendsetter, good, bad, or otherwise. To be officially listed by GC it has to be approved by the state cacher association. Since ND has no organization and I can say that no ND folks actually bought one of my coins, there were no hurt feelings.

I would say that anyone can mint a coin. Period. At this early stage of collecting coins I can honestly say I don't know if every state coin has been associated with the state organization. More importantly I don't care! So, if you have an idea for a coin with a state on it, mint it! Trust me, fellow cachers will buy them.

And, put me down for two...

I know I am a trendsetter, good, bad, or otherwise. To be officially listed by GC it has to be approved by the state cacher association. Since ND has no organization and I can say that no ND folks actually bought one of my coins, there were no hurt feelings.

Can you explain what you mean? Did Groundspeak say state coins need permission of whatever group(s) are there?? <_<

I know I am a trendsetter, good, bad, or otherwise.  To be officially listed by GC it has to be approved by the state cacher association.  Since ND has no organization and I can say that no ND folks actually bought one of my coins, there were no hurt feelings.

Can you explain what you mean? Did Groundspeak say state coins need permission of whatever group(s) are there?? <_<

After seeing what happened in PA, NJ and NY, I'm guessing they need the permission of A caching organization in the state, not all of them...

OK, so I guess TPTB might wanna clarify that then.....

If they make a run of 1500 coins and call it the Iowa Geocoin and have it trackable on gc.com...then it gets to be called the Iowa Geocoin, right? But if it's only a run of say 500, then it can't be the state geocoin since it doesn't meet the criteria, and would only be a personal geocoin, right?

But then again, if it's not gc.com trackable, then you can make however many you want and call it whatever you want to call it, right?

Just curious about how this all shakes out.

....To be officially listed by GC it has to be approved by the state cacher association. Since ND has no organization and I can say that no ND folks actually bought one of my coins, there were no hurt feelings.

I would say that anyone can mint a coin. Period. At this early stage of collecting coins I can honestly say I don't know if every state coin has been associated with the state organization. More importantly I don't care! So, if you have an idea for a coin with a state on it, mint it! Trust me, fellow cachers will buy them.

And, put me down for two...

Eventually State organizations are going to make a stink (and rightfully so) about "Official" state coins. States without an organization may end up with one once they get their feelings hurt over someone else doing a coin.

On the other hand some states having done a coin may be happy if anyone at all is willing to do the next years coin since it was such a PITA the last time.

Case in point. Idaho. Nobody is picking up the gauntlet for the 2006 coin. Most people want something similar but everone wants a change. Nobody wants to guide the group to a concencus. Even if someone did make the coin the group isn't formal. Nobody can give the thumbs up and make the coin official except by virtue of that concencus. Informal as our group is there is enough sence of community to where a coin would be bootleg without the groups buy in. Still right now a 2006 bootleg coin is far more likely than a 2006 official one.

Now I'm scratching my head and wondering if my post had a purpose.

I agree. In Pennsylvania we have at least four to five caching groups, not one central group. NWPA makes coins and they are beautiful but they indicate they are creating the Keystone coin while TRIGO is also creating another coin. I believe the state of Pennsylvania now has three coins in 2005 so I guess it is a free for all. If you want to make a state coin, go ahead, no one has the right to say no.

Is anyone else scratching their heads and thinking, 'huh?' This is the first debate I've heard over 'official' or 'unofficial' coins... So am I understanding correctly that in order for a coin to be an "official" state coin, they have to be tracked at gc.com and have their own little icon? Well, guess most of my collection is unofficial! Oh well! I'm thinking the debate is really based on $$ and who's pocket the profit goes in...

Anyway, I'll take 2 or more (depending on that $$) :laughing:

Eventually State organizations are going to make a stink (and rightfully so) about "Official" state coins.

What makes a State org official?

That's the beauty of it. Nothing in particular. Given time most state organizatoins without competition will just be accepted as The State Organization. With competition it will be more complex but sooner or later one will win out.

I am not ready to take orders yet nor do I know what they will cost.

Is this still the case, I'd hate to get shut out since everyone else is posting interest when you have asked them not to. My order of 65 coins is waiting patiently on the sidelines :ph34r:

Like others, I've been sitting on the sidelines, checking daily, and waiting for the order link to show up. BUT... I've missed out on several coins due to the fact tht they sell out so fast. And not being part of one of the coin cartels, It's hard to sometimes get a foot in the door. So... I know you're not taking orders, but I'd like to get on the list (any list) for 2 of these coins. Design doesn't matter. Cost (within reason) doesn't matter. Tracking doesn't matter, but a year and numbering is nice. Sorry if I'm jumping the gun and I'll keep a watch for your announcement. Thanks for your effort.

I have to decide on whether or not I want to add out a new icon for Iowa. I have messed around with a few ideas and came up with this image. It is the outline of Iowa with the Iowa map within it. I do not seem to be able to make the image any clearer than what you see. going down to a 32 x 32 gif image you lose clarity.

So any thoughts on whether you think it would be good enough?

IA2.gif

I have to decide on whether or not I want to add out a new icon for Iowa. I have messed around with a few ideas and came up with this image. It is the outline of Iowa with the Iowa map within it. I do not seem to be able to make the image any clearer than what you see. going down to a 32 x 32 gif image you lose clarity.

IA2.gif

Looks great, please put us down for 5 coins.

I have to decide on whether or not I want to add out a new icon for Iowa. I have messed around with a few ideas and came up with this image. It is the outline of Iowa with the Iowa map within it. I do not seem to be able to make the image any clearer than what you see.  going down to a 32 x 32 gif image you lose clarity.

IA2.gif

That would be great! Excellent choice for the icon.