Gps 18 Serial Vs Usb

ahreno

So here's what i figure

the usb one is nice because it's usb... plug and play, fast, etc... but it only outputs garmins info...

the serial one is older, slower but outputs industry standard NMEA 0183 but can be changed to output to garmins...

I have all garmin maps so it doesn't matter much to me, it just seems that it would be nice to have the option in the future to use it with a different companies software...

plus, all you need is a serial > usb convertor right?

thoughts?

Does GPS 18 support NMEA -- make sure the version you purchase does. This is the standard language GPS receivers use to communicate to third party applications.

the usb version only spits out garmins language, while the serial version spits out the standard AND garmins... though it sounds like the program mentioned two posts above can translate garmin into nmea??

Yes, GPSGate will translate into NMEA -- Not sure which NMEA commands it converts to. May want to check w/GPSGate. I would recommend these sentences: GPGGA, GPGSV, GPGSA and GPGRMC as a minimum.

I'm not sure if the USB will gain you any speed only the convenience. The amount of data between the GPS and computer is at a minimum (Position, satellite data, speed and such).

USB seems to be the standard unstandard. The USB standard does not have GPS listed as part of its supported class of devices so manufactures must provide a custom class interface driver for the specific operating system that is proprietary. IMHO --- I like serial NMEA better because I know the GPS will interface to anything RS-232 and many software products will interface to NMEA. However, RS-232 is becoming a legacy interface. Thus the USB RS-232 serial was born…

I like serial NMEA better because I know the GPS will interface to anything RS-232 and many software products will interface to NMEA.

Yes, assuming that by "serial" you mean RS-232. GPS units with RS-232 compatibility will also connect to a variety of other equipment like chartplotters, auto-pilots, radar, fishfinders, sounders, VHF radios, EPIRBs, etc.