Can't Do This Cache In A Day, Or A Week

Lazyboy & Mitey Mite

Are people interested in a Washington State version of the DeLorme Challenge? I have been thinking about it and writing some code to make it easier to check the cache locations. There are about 98 pages in my copy of the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

Has any else started any work on a Washington version?

Currently DeLorme Challenges exists for:

California

Missouri

Kansas

Nevada

Oregon

Any thoughts?

JimT

Terrible Ts

Edited by Terrible Ts

Hmmm. I see there are 5 hits on keywords "DeLorme Challenge". Anyone thinking of submitting one for Washington?

A couple of observations.

1. Shouldn't these really qualify as virtual caches, since there is no physical log to sign and nothing to find unique to these caches?

2. Seems like a cache that the owner could legitimately log a find on.

3. There might be a few people in Washington, Moun10Bike, L&R maybe, who could log their find immediately after approval.

3. At the risk of adding to the chaos. What about using the wonderful and, "made in the Northwest", Road & Recreation Atlas from Benchmark Maps.

Hmm..interesting. Western Washington won't be too hard, I have finds in most of those blocks already. Some of eastern Washington will require a 3-4 day trip, though. I did a 4 day birding trip up to Salmo Pass and back but there was zero opportunity to do caching with that group. Too bad, because I'd have a big block done already on that side of the state.

As an aside, has anyone noticed the Delorme "Easter Eggs"? There is at least one in Washington (page 33, block A7/8 where you will find Bigfoot).

I have wanted to create a Washington Delorme Challenge ever since May of last year when Lil Devil told me how much fun they were having with the Northern California Delorme Challenge. I even created some GIS data to aid in tracking progress, which you can see here:

Moun10Bike's Washington Delorme Challenge Progress

The problem I saw was that we don't have caches on every Delorme Atlas page (or at least we didn't then). I believe that page 28 was still blank and possibly one or two more. A hide on a page counts for credit, but the empty pages were a little out of my normal area.

As you can see from my map, I have a long way to go to hit every page!

Are people interested in a Washington State version of the DeLorme Challenge? I have been thinking about it and writing some code to make it easier to check the cache locations. There are about 98 pages in my copy of the DeLorme Atlas & Gazetteer.

Has any else started any work on a Washington version?

Currently DeLorme Challenges exists for:

California

Missouri

Kansas

Nevada

Oregon

Any thoughts?

JimT

Terrible Ts

I would love to see one in Washington. :ph34r:

I see that you can look at a map of all your cache finds, but it doesn't seem to zoom out far enough to see the whole state, etc. If someone were to do this cache, it woud seem a lot of work to figure out exactly which sections that you have done.

I'm sure there's some easy way to figure it all out, but I'm a bit confused. :ph34r:

I even created some GIS data to aid in tracking progress, which you can see here:

Moun10Bike's Washington Delorme Challenge Progress

Yeeee-ikes! Leave it to WA to have nearly 100 sections (i.e. caches) to covet!

Nonetheless - yes, yes, YES! Let's DO IT Washington!

Though I don't presume to have the prowess of techno mapping skills of the diez bicicleta lad, the globalgirl is happy to help in anyway she can.

I see that you can look at a map of all your cache finds, but it doesn't seem to zoom out far enough to see the whole state, etc. If someone were to do this cache, it woud seem a lot of work to figure out exactly which sections that you have done.

I'm sure there's some easy way to figure it all out, but I'm a bit confused. :laughing:

It would make a lot more sense to me to base the grid on coordinates or county boundaries. I rarely use paper maps anymore and I certainly don't want to give $20 to DeLorme and then still have to figure it out by hand. Maybe a computer whiz like Moun10Bike can make the grid easier to use in terms of plotting and finding caches.

Well, I guess it helps when you can publish it yourself. :blink::laughing:

Also...

Note: If you would like to see where you stand toward completion of the Washington DeLorme Challenge, feel free to send me a .GPX file of your finds and hides.

Can you take pity on me and tell me what this means? :unsure:

Let me add another idea from a Seattle cacher: What about a similar kind of event in Seattle, with a twist. This is off the top of my head, so feel free to bash or modify.

First, the object is to find or place a cache in every official neighborhood within Seattle (quite a number, I bet). Here are the limitations:

1) Only caches that are published after a certain date (e.g. the start date) count;

-- to put everyone at the same starting point.

-- maybe, we'll only apply this restriction to neighborhoods that are not over-staturated.

2) Each cacher has a limit as to the number of caches placed (e.g. 1 or 5 hides) and there must be some kind of restriction on difficulty and terrain (so one cacher doesn't place 3x 5/5 caches so that everyone else is at a competitive disadvantage).

Now, this will require some mutual understandings as to the list of neighborhoods and their boundaries, but it should spread caches out to neighborhoods that have few or no caches. And who among even the native Seattlites have been to EVERY neighborhood in Seattle...?

What do y'all think?

Team Maccabee's Abba

Can you take pity on me and tell me what this means? :laughing:

You're a premium member, so you have the ability to get Pocket Queries. Have you ever done so? If so, then you have likely seen a .GPX file (unless you specify .LOC format for your PQs).

Basically I'm asking for a file containing your finds and hides with their locations so that I can verify that you have visited all DeLorme pages. Even a spreadsheet with cache name and/or waypoint ID and latitude and longitude would be enough, but it would be easiest for me if the file sent was GPX. That way I can use various utilities (such as GSAK) to filter out any events, locationless caches or non-Washington caches and export the data in a form I can use for mapping.

Does this make sense?

Can you take pity on me and tell me what this means?  :laughing:

You're a premium member, so you have the ability to get Pocket Queries. Have you ever done so? If so, then you have likely seen a .GPX file (unless you specify .LOC format for your PQs).

Basically I'm asking for a file containing your finds and hides with their locations so that I can verify that you have visited all DeLorme pages. Even a spreadsheet with cache name and/or waypoint ID and latitude and longitude would be enough, but it would be easiest for me if the file sent was GPX. That way I can use various utilities (such as GSAK) to filter out any events, locationless caches or non-Washington caches and export the data in a form I can use for mapping.

Does this make sense?

Maybe. :unsure:

Maybe stupid question...am I needing to create my own GPX file (can one do that?), or make a pocket query and give it to you? And do you want caches owned, as well, just in case they are in a differant section?

Thanks a bunch. :blink:

If I make a pq, I can automatically filter out events and locationless, out of state, etc. But I don't know if I can show you my own pq. :laughing:

If you use GSAK, it's pretty easy to generate your own GPX list of the Finds and Placed by You caches.

If not, it's a little more complicated.

Maybe stupid question...am I needing to create my own GPX file (can one do that?), or make a pocket query and give it to you?  And do you want caches owned, as well, just in case they are in a differant section?

You can create a GPX file if you have the right utility. GSAK does this, for example. I don't want you to send me your Pocket Queries as this is a violation of Groundspeak's TOS. In fact, if you could filter out your locationless, event and CITO caches beforehand, then I don't even need .GPX - just about any other format that GPSBabel or Global Mapper can read would work just as well. I only need the cache names/waypoints and coordinates. I can then export the caches into the shapefile format I use for the maps. I'll try to clarify this on the cache page.

Caches owned as well as found in one file is what is desired.

Edited by Moun10Bike

Aaaaghh! I shouldn't even ask these questions, because it makes me just feel stupid. :laughing::unsure:

I hear what you guys are saying...but I don't hear what you guys are saying.

I hear...can't use a pq. Can use GSAK, but I don't know how. I don't know what GPSBabel or Global Mapper is...:ph34r: Me give up. :ph34r:

:blink:

Don't fret! Really, I can get something together if you just provide a list containing cache names, waypoints and coordinates. If you already have a list somewhere with this info, great! If not, you can start downloading and compiling your list of found caches and hidden caches. Be sure to include any archived ones (especially if they are on pages that none of the active ones are), as they don't show up in these lists!

Don't fret! Really, I can get something together if you just provide a list containing cache names, waypoints and coordinates. If you already have a list somewhere with this info, great! If not, you can start downloading and compiling your list of found caches and hidden caches. Be sure to include any archived ones (especially if they are on pages that none of the active ones are), as they don't show up in these lists!

Hey! Those are me! :unsure:

Seriously, with how many caches that I have done or own, will this translate to too much work for you? :blink::laughing:

Now, now...let's take this one at a time...

Aaaaghh!  I shouldn't even ask these questions, because it makes me just feel stupid.

You are NOT stupid, I've met you...I know.

I hear...can't use a pq.

You are a Premium Member, you can use PQs...if Recdiver can, so can you. :laughing:

Can use GSAK, but I don't know how.

It's pretty easy too. I can step you through it if you want me to...just like I can with PQs.

I don't know what GPSBabel or Global Mapper is

Those are just other programs (Babel is what GSAK is based on if I'm not mistaken), but GSAK will do what you want and more.

:blink:  Me give up.  :ph34r:

It's OK...we'll help, I promise... :unsure:

You're so sweet, Allanon. :laughing:

I know how to run pq's, but not how to put to put them in GSAK, my husband does that.

So, put it in GSAK, and then give Moun10Bike the GSAK? :unsure:

In GSAK you can filter your database so that only your finds show. You can then create a gpx file. On the set of icons near the top of the page should be one that looks like the Groundspeak logo. Click on that and GSAK will create the gpx file.

A few months ago, The Jester put on a tutorial at at Puget Sound Chapter meeting. Perhaps, he might be talked into doing the same for a meeting in Wenatchee. That was got me to working GSAK well enough to do what I want it to.

If you already run GSAK, and it contains your finds and hides, then you can filter on the caches of interest already. Launch the application, select Search/Filter, then filter on finds by unchecking the "not found" check box in the "Found status" area of the General tab of the dialog. You should also uncheck the boxes for locationless, event and CITO caches on the "Other" tab of the dialog. You should also set the state equal to Washington on that tab.

You can do a similar thing for your hides by entering your Geocaching.com ID# on the "Other" tab.

Once you have done this, then you can export the filtered caches. Do this by selecting File/Export -> GPX/LOC File... .LOC will be much smaller and will avoid the TOS issues that might revolve around a GPX file. I would suggest creating two files, one for finds and one for hides, to send; if you are comfortable enough, you can merge the two into one file using GSAK or GPSBabel, but that is another step.

You're so sweet, Allanon.  :laughing:

I know how to run pq's, but not how to put to put them in GSAK, my husband does that.

So, put it in GSAK, and then give Moun10Bike the GSAK?  :blink:

In GSAK you can filter your database so that only your finds show. You can then create a gpx file. On the set of icons near the top of the page should be one that looks like the Groundspeak logo. Click on that and GSAK will create the gpx file.

A few months ago, The Jester put on a tutorial at at Puget Sound Chapter meeting. Perhaps, he might be talked into doing the same for a meeting in Wenatchee. That was got me to working GSAK well enough to do what I want it to.

Yeah, he had a class at the campout, but we missed it.

I'll see if I can twist my husband's arm into making a gpx file for me. :ph34r:

Thanks so much, everyone! :ph34r::unsure:

If you already run GSAK, and it contains your finds and hides, then you can filter on the caches of interest already. Launch the application, select Search/Filter, then filter on finds by unchecking the "not found" check box in the "Found status" area of the General tab of the dialog. You should also uncheck the boxes for locationless, event and CITO caches on the "Other" tab of the dialog. You should also set the state equal to Washington on that tab.

You can do a similar thing for your hides by entering your Geocaching.com ID# on the "Other" tab.

Once you have done this, then you can export the filtered caches. Do this by selecting File/Export -> GPX/LOC File... .LOC will be much smaller and will avoid the TOS issues that might revolve around a GPX file. I would suggest creating two files, one for finds and one for hides, to send; if you are comfortable enough, you can merge the two into one file using GSAK or GPSBabel, but that is another step.

That's certainly informative! :blink:

I'll show this to my husband, who hopefully understands all this gobbledeygook! :laughing:

I'm glad that I could be the guinea pig for all the other computer illiterates out there...I'll make them all look very knowledgable. :unsure:

Yeah, he had a class at the campout, but we missed it.

He'll be in the area again in a couple weeks...track him down...or just offer him a trip or 3 down the zipline... :laughing:

:unsure: Hey, I've lured quite a few people to my home that way! :blink:

We're having an event on the 8th, but I also hear that your area is having one that day.

Now if this was a WA State County cache, I'd go for it. 

Ditto that. I have a map in my garage of the US broken down by county. Well before geocaching I started shading in each county I visited.

I've even thought of keeping track of my cache finds by county just for fun.

Could a listing of the coordinates for the four corners of each page be made? A GSAK filter could then be set up.

I thought of that, too. But in the vast majority of cases, it would be easy to tell from the map on the cache page which page a particular cache is in, assuming you can map your caches using S&T or something. It would be more work than it's worth to use, let alone create, those 119 filters.

Now if this was a WA State County cache, I'd go for it. 

Ditto that.

Double ditto. It just seems wrong to be giving a company free advertising by requiring use of their maps, besides all the hoops to jump through to figure out what grid a cache is in. Counties which are on most paper and on-line maps would be so much more sanitary.

In order to help folks with the techno logistics of running their DeLorme Challenge pq's, fiddling with GSAK and sending M10B their LOC file for posting their Progress map link on the cache page (major THANKS for the kindly service MB!), I'm putting together (what I hope will be) a set of no-brainer, step-by-step instructions from start to finish - will be posting it here, and... come to think of it, even better, set it up w/ MB as a link on the cache page.

ANYWAY... in doing so, I ran into a quirk in running the pq's that I'd never run into before (namely 'cuz I've never before had need/want to include archived caches in my pq's). Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems there's no way to get ARCHIVED caches (neither owned archived, nor found archived) into a pq, yes? no? Leastwise I can't figure out how to grab them. Disabled, yes - but archived, nope. :laughing: Which coincidently begs a new question...

Surely, archived finds and archived hides qualify for the WA DeLome challenge, yes?

If so, then is there some trick to grabbing archived caches in a pq? Else... guess one must individually d/l the .gpx file off each of the archived cache pages and merge them into the GSAK database...

<edited to tweak every blessed "pc" to "pQ" - well duh, at least I was consistent!>

Edited by globalgirl