Taking Items But Not Logging Find!

TheHawverBoyz

i I am concerned that some players are going to my cache and taking items without logging their visit! One of my caches contained coordinates for a 2nd location that had 2 TRAVEL BUGs in it (BRAND NEW),,,,,....no log nothing!!

The 2nd location had been found and the TRAVEL BUGS gone!!

I am wondering ...is this considered 'Stealing' or just a case of 'Finders Keepers'!!

Only 2 members accessed the the site On-Line and now I am concerned about another location!!

The Hawver Boyz

There are some people who search for caches and don't log online. There is no rule that says you must.

It is a courtesy however and I think those people are being slightly selfish and rude. If someone spends the time, money and effort to place a cache, the least the finder can do is let the owner know he found it.

I am finding that about 1/3 of names in the physical logbook never log online. Was surprised to see some people I know well on cache cameras I developed recently. 3 different groups, none of them knowing the others were cachers and none of them are logging finds online. They trade and move travel bugs cache to cache but feel that online logs are either burdensome or just don't fit with the "game" they have decided to play.

What can you do?? As long as the site lists the coordinates they will get them.

I feel the same as briansnat - I spend a lot of time and effort on hides and I throughouly enjoy reading people's experiences. I feel cheated when they can't let me know about the visit. (most physical logs only have date and names).

Well, I was going to check to see if you had some sort of requirement about taking the bugs, (one only for example), as I would have to assume that you put them there with the intention that someone would take them, then I noticed you don't own a multi-cache.

Shouldn't it be listed as such? Or is it a 'find this cache to find the coords for another' situation?

Edited by BlueDeuce

The Geocachers' Creed is a voluntary set of guidelines that describes how geocachers in general act.

GEOCACHERS CREED

When placing or seeking geocaches, I will:

Not endanger myself or others

Observe all laws & rules of the area

Respect property rights and seek permission where appropriate

Avoid causing disruptions or public alarm

Minimize my and others' impact on the environment

Be considerate of others

Protect the integrity of the game pieces

Cache owners appreciate feedback - write an online log, send an email, or otherwise let the owner know about your experience with their cache.

Don’t collect traveling items meant to stay in the game. This is tantamount to stealing.

Well then, as far as I am concerned.....no more FTF 'GIFTS'

HHmmmm ...no rule that says you must log.......I guess that would make it easier..for me anyway...then I wouldn't need to even bother rushing home to 'Document my find!! Thanks for the the help....clears it all up from my perspective!!

THB

Sorry, not everybody logs their finds. Some people are as adamant about not logging as the people who think they should. I'm not sure what any of us can do about it. Or that we need to.

No point in getting all angst'd up about it.

Or cranky with me.

angst'd

New word! <_<

Hawver, most folks seem to agree with your principle that finds should be logged somehow, either on the cache page or in an E-mail. One of my greatest joys in this game is reading the logs of folks who've been to my caches. That being said, it's not technically speaking, a rule violation, to not log a find.

Don't let the actions of a rude minority impact your decision on how to play the game.

voluntary set of guidelines

The guidelines are Voluntary

when I leave a FTF prize I do not care if the first to finder post their find. The prize is thiers to keep. Again, some cachers may be slow to log a find or to log when they have left or picked up a travel bug. I like to try an find a cache to drop a bug into when I am traveling, or to take a bug out of. I do not travel with a computer so it may take a week or so to log any bugs I have picked up. I have seen people log their finds on my caches weeks after they have found them when they have been on vacation.

Well then, as far as I am concerned.....no more FTF 'GIFTS'

HHmmmm ...no rule that says you must log.......I guess that would make it easier..for me anyway...then I wouldn't need to even bother rushing home to 'Document my find!! Thanks for the the help....clears it all up from my perspective!!

THB

Don't let the few jerks in the game spoil your attitude.

Play the game you want to play, if they interfere, just don't give them any more attention, and make them feel like an idiot because they spent $10 in gas to go get a stuffed animal with a dog tag strapped to it.

I think they are just really simple minded people that just are out there to make us mad.

But don't jump to conclusions, sometimes people will forget to log TB's and they'll be gone, and 3 weeks later may be logged out of a cache 10 miles down the road.