Caching Rules

OHMIKY

Given that some rules for placing caches exist to minimize impact, I wonder:

If the cache is placed on private property owned by the cacher, should such rules be enforced? (are they?)

I am planning to place a cache that would be buried at a shallow depth. I don't want to go into greater detail as it would give too much away.

The answer to this question will determine whether the cache is a private "invite only" cache or listed for general consumption.

If the cache is placed on private property owned by the cacher, should such rules be enforced? (are they?)

I am planning to place a cache that would be buried at a shallow depth. I don't want to go into greater detail as it would give too much away.

The answer to this question will determine whether the cache is a private "invite only" cache or listed for general consumption.

I've heard of such situations. Contact your reviewer and let them know you own the land. If they balk, run it all the way up to Hydee if you have to. It's your land, you can dig as many holes as you want.

part of the beauty of this potential cache site is that it is nowhere near a road- it will require a hike of at least an hour just to get to the area

I already permit hunters (who ask for that permission) to use the property - so of course the cache would not be available for hunting during hunting seasons. (though the number of hunters out there is pretty limited since a 1hr+ hike appeals only to serious folk)

The area is unimproved mountain woodlands, so the fact that strangers might come poking around is of absolutely no consequence

The property is posted as private property - but there is no signage forbidding trespass. If it becomes a posted cache, the description would include that information so that seekers would not have reason to be disturbed by the Private Property signs.

If the cache is a private, invitation only cache, the invitation would, of course, imply permission.

as to the "no smilie"

I am not sure of this, of course, but I suspect that there are a number of folks out there who are more interested in the hunt than in the trophy :rolleyes:

Edited by OHMIKY

One of the problems with making exceptions such as the one above, is that cachers will search for and find the cache, and think that method of hide is OK anywhere. They will then try to duplicate it elsewhere, where it could have an adverse impact on the land, or on our relationship with land managers.

For that reason, it is rare that exceptions will be made.

But talk to your local reviewer and see what he/she thinks.

If the cache is placed on private property owned by the cacher, should such rules be enforced?  (are they?)

I am planning to place a cache that would be buried at a shallow depth.  I don't want to go into greater detail as it would give too much away.

Have you just finished reading Louis Sacher's Holes? What's really buried out there that you want help finding? :huh:

Back OT-if it is clearly presented that this is your private property, and you are permitting the digging, and discuss all this up front with your reviewer, you can probably get it listed; but it would be open to all. If you prefer to keep it private and invite only, there is no way it would be listed here.

An hour hike in woodland territory carrying a shovel... with or without a smiley this would go on my ignore list pretty fast. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

If the cache is placed on private property owned by the cacher, should such rules be enforced?  (are they?)

I am planning to place a cache that would be buried at a shallow depth.  I don't want to go into greater detail as it would give too much away.

I've heard of such situations. Contact your reviewer and let them know you own the land. If they balk, run it all the way up to Hydee if you have to. It's your land, you can dig as many holes as you want.

That's my opinion as well.

as to the "no smilie"

I am not sure of this, of course, but I suspect that there are a number of folks out there who are more interested in the hunt than in the trophy  <_<

You can count me as interested!

I've had several caches hidden for myself and a select few others to share without being listed on this or any other site. It's not an uncommon practice.

Geocaching can exist without GC.com or any other listing site, and for awhile in the beginning...it did. But I am grateful for the job they do to enhance the game.

Run you idea by them and see if they will list it on this site. I think you have a good chance they would.

Salvelinus