"caches You Found" Checkmark On Maps....

hydnsek

I skimmed the forum threads but didn't see this....

How often is the update run that adds the red checkmarks for 'caches you've found' to the maps? It's often 2-3 weeks before caches I find show the 'found' checkmark on the maps, which is annoying for me because I use the [beautiful] maps a LOT to scope out cache locations. It's also fun to look at the maps and see how many caches you've found in an area. :rolleyes:

For instance, caches I found on 9/4 don't yet appear with checkmarks, altho today is 9/22.

If I knew the algorithm was only run monthly [and when], I would know what to expect and not be frustrated.

Otherwise, I keep assuming the map updates will happen within 24-48 hours and that is only occasionally the case (altho in a cache list they do show as 'found'). It just seems very inconsistent. Since it's a premium feature, and I'm a charter paying member, I want my checks! :huh:

Thanks for any light you can shed on this, or fixes to the checkmarking that can happen.

hydnsek

...I meant to mention: This delayed updating of the maps isn't limited to the 'found' checkmarks.

It also occurs for newly placed caches - the cache icons and 'new' for new caches often don't appear for weeks - I have several new caches that have been out for a week and don't show up on the maps.

I'm wondering if the problems are related, and if so, what's the scoop - and the fix?

Would be nice to hear from those in the know.

Thanks!

Ambrosia can't be talking about the Geocaching maps. The check marks can't appear instantly there since the map page of found caches has to be regenerated for each cacher.

We've never had a definitive answer of how long is too long to wait for the maps to be updated. I do think the missing check marks and the missing new caches are both related to the update not be done.

My finds on 9/1 have check marks and my finds on 9/9 and later do not.

One nearby cache placed 9/3 is still flagged as "new" on the map and other caches placed more recently do not appear at all.

If I knew the algorithm was only run monthly [and when], I would know what to expect and not be frustrated.

I agree with hydnsek - the frustration is in not knowing what to expect. Is there any rhyme or reason as to when the found marks are added?

"Cache Maps" is my favorite feature of the site; I have noticed improvements -- Canada is no longer a green blurb, for instance -- but in the past I could count on found marks being added within days. Now it is taking weeks.

Just a quick answer, please: where are the check marks?