Bcga Account

ItsMeDave

David, one of the conditions of getting your account request approved on the BCGA site is that you have a valid and active gc.com account. It states this on the application form. By active, we mean that you have actually found and logged some caches - both in the cache log book and online. We could have rejected your account request on the day that you made it, but were taking a wait-and-see position to see if you made some finds. Hope that answers your question.

PS. You might try and use the feedback feature on the BCGA web site, contacting the BCGA site admins directly, instead of bringing this to the public gc.com forums.

Sorry, didn't mean to air the dirty laundry. I didn't know I was rejected, I just thought someone was on vacation. :rolleyes:

Ok, no worries about being rejected. I figured I register now and cache later - but I guess it's cache and carry.

I hope to make my first foray into geocaching this weekend. Maybe you'll reconsider in a week or two.

cheers

David

PS. You might try and use the feedback feature on the BCGA web site, contacting the BCGA site admins directly, instead of bringing this to the public gc.com forums.

Ummm - When the BCGA forums were shut down I believe there was a statement made to the effect that the GC Canada Forums were now the "official" means of communication for BCGA discussions. Doesn't Ryan's inquiry fall into the category of BCGA discussions?

To quote the publicly posted BCGA news article from May 25, 2005 (bolding added by me):

It’s my great pleasure to announce the new Executive for your association.

Brandon Bell (The Wet Coast Explorers) – President

Duane Morelli (Doc Magoo) – Secretary

Ken Chater (Chillibusher) – Treasurer

Laurie Freeman (Half Canadian) – Director

Ted Ramsden (Fireted) – Director

The new team immediately got down to work and a vote was taken among members at the meeting to remove the BCGA forums, and direct the discussion to the Geocaching.com Canada Forums. The old forums will be made read-only immediately.

We could have rejected your account request on the day that you made it, but were taking a wait-and-see position to see if you made some finds.

Or you could have replied to his email address concerning why he wasn't going to be immediately approved. That would have been the logical courtesy, rather than chastising him for asking a legitimate question here in the Canada forums.

Most internet users recognize a site's forums as the place to ask support questions ... and well, the BCGA forum link brings him right here. You sound genuinely surprised to find BCGA support questions here at the GC.com Canada forums.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

I guess the other part I find disturbing is the new requirement that BCGA users be Geocaching.com users. Although GC is, by far, the largest and most popular cache listing site, there are others such as Terracaching and Navicache. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the original mandate of the BCGA was to represent British Columbia cachers in general. Why is it that the mandate has changed to represent only British Columbian Geocaching.com cachers? Isn't that just a teeny bit exclusive? And isn't it a bit disrespectful toward new cachers who are attempting to learn about caching and discover their local caching community before actually venturing out to find caches? As much as it pains me to agree with the previous poster, common courtesy should have dictated some sort of email reply to the OP by a BCGA representative explaining the GC membership requirement.

Ok, I know what some of you are going to say - virtually everyone who caches has a GC account regardless of their prefered caching site. But not everyone. There are even a few radical souls who actively cache but steadfastly refuse to get GC accounts. Are those people now unacceptable for membership in the BCGA? Is there something about being a GC member that instantly makes you credible enough to be a member of the BCGA? Inversely, is there something about not being a member of GC that causes one to lack credibility and be denied membership to the BCGA?

Ok, I didn't mean to raise a fuss here, I was just keen to get started geocaching.

<_<

Wish me luck, tomorrow will be my first attempt at geocaching - maybe I'll find a couple.

cheers

David

OK, I will be glad to wish you luck. I hope you find a couple and continue on finding many more. Please do not hesitate to return here if you have any questions or problems. You may be new at this activity but you are certainly considered a full-fledged member of our global geocaching family.

Cheers, Olar