Our Cache Was Moved

tands

I saw that-it's on my watch and To Do lists. I do not think there is any official Groundspeak procedure, it's just the listing service-you own the cache. I would contact the indivudual directly and ask them to please put it back where you hid it. That's how you want it to be. He can go and hide one of his own if he has 'better' :huh: thoughts on how to hide a 5/5 that you already do.

If he refuses to comply-you'll just need to do it yourself. From what I have read, you have already made that paddle a few times.

Thats pretty annoying. The hider openly admits they moved it because they didn't understand the hints on the page and had a tough time finding it. :huh:

Not much you can do other then checking on the cache and moving it back to the original spot as required. Maybe you could anchor the cache and chain it in place so that doesn't happen again. :cry:

You could write to the finder and ask what's up, and for an exact description and coordinates for where YOUR cache was moved to.

You could ask him to go out and move it back to the hiding spot that you chose (it's best to describe it... for all you know, he moved it back to the correct spot... caches move all the time).

You could delete his log if you weren't happy with his response. While that's your right as an owner, this would likely mean that you two wouldn't be raising beer mugs together at the next event cache.

As for Groundspeak's procedure, what were you looking for? I don't think they have a SWAT team on call to investigate cache problems.

I can understand your frustration, but I'm glad to hear that this discussion has been therapeutic . :huh:

b0c3cceb-e41b-43ec-a683-46f3876f99c1.jpg

Caches get moved all the time - but usually people don't openly admit to doing so. Reading the log, it looks like it was a semi-serious attempt at 'payback' for a cache with clues that the cache-movers didn't understand. Or maybe they just thought it was a funny idea. Who knows.

In their log, the comment is made:

... since no clues were made available to us

Just out of curiosity, are they referring to what they had already mentioned about the clues being 'misleading', or did they ask you for additional clues and none were given?

If it was my cache I'd probably just go find it and move it back and not say anything at all about it, thus denying them any possible satisfaction from having played this payback trick.

If it was my cache I'd probably just go find it and move it back and not say anything at all about it, thus denying them any possible satisfaction from having played this payback trick.

That's "if" they can find their cache. What a jerk this guy is to move a cache because he can't find it. If I had moved every cache I ever had problems finding, there wouldn't be much caching in the SE! :huh:

Evidentally he thought the cache wasn't in the proper place according to the "hints" in the cache description. We were never contacted by him or any additional hints. Though all we ever say is that it's all there you just have to read the story carefully. All other previous finders have agreed that all the information needed to find the cache was right there in the story and yes, it was accurate. The cache was absolutely in the correct placement because we were one of the last cachers out there.

I'm still very miffed at the audacity of this man.

Stephanie

S of tands

I would send the 'mover' an email, stating that the cache was precisely where you had intended it to be (if you can be sure of this) and to please go back to the cache and return it to it's rightful home. State that all clues needed were indeed in the cache description, as has been verified by previous finders.

Yes, cache maintenance is a part of cache ownership, but one should not have to make a trip out to refind and rehide thier cache because another cacher admittedly moved it when it wasn't where he/she thought it should be.

A cacher with 79 finds should know better than to move someone else's cache. However, since they have that many finds and NO hides, maybe they just don't understand it. Wonder how many other caches have 'wandered' under their power? But, they comitted several errors in their actions... first being asking a friend for advice after apparant multiple failed attempts instead of contacting the owner, and then leaving a knife in the cache.

I can understand moving a cache that is obviously displaced-one that fell down a hill, or off a ledge, when it's obvious it is not where it belongs, but this case is a horse of a different color.

If you are unsuccessful in getting the individual to revist the cache and place it back where it belongs and have to go out yourself to do the work, I would remove the knife they left (of course) and possibly even their log in the book. Deleting their online log would be a serious consideration, as well as posting a note to the cache page (either as a note or part of the description) that it has been replaced in it's original INTENDED location after being moved by <cachername>.

I highly doubt they will go back out and return the hide to its original spot. They don't seem to really take others considerations into their enjoyment of the sport (of course, I am completely judging this on one log entry, where they say they did not log DNF's, moved the cache and say they won't tell the owner of the cache where, and leave a pocketknife)

I suggest we all email this cacher and tell him "what a purty mouth he's got there", and we will stop when he replaces the cache exactly where he found it and removes the knife so tands doen't have to. :huh::cry::P

JUST KIDDING-don't listen to me!... as if anyone actually does........... :P:P

Edited by wimseyguy

What should we do?

I'd go back and check it out and put it back in the right spot if needed. Like Lep said caches move all the time. Finders aren't normally supposed to be moving caches around. Either they thought it was really good reason in this cache, or they're idiots, either way sending them an email chewing them out may not get anything done.

I think I would also would take the knife they left... that would be something I would email them a freindly note saying that knives are very useful tools but some places have had problems because of knives in caches, and they should consider not putting them in caches.

S and I are going to try and find the cache and set it back. One issue is that it takes us two hours to get to it and down to the next landing, but I was already planning to make a Jeep delivery anyways.

Here's what I wrote to the cacher:

Dear Cacher's Name,

If you have moved our cache, please don't try to replace it. We respectfully ask just that you tell us where it has been moved.

We feel that the placement and safety of this cache and its contents are our responsibility. So we will replace the cache in its hiding spot and remove the knife from the container.

Thank you for going for our cache. We want to tell you that you may feel free to ask for hints on any of our hides.

Regards,

T and S C

I have found that the high road always wins, and S and I have cooled our jets some.

- T of TandS

Edited by tands

Yep, nobody has a right to move a cache or make it easier than when it was intially planted. Total disrespect is all this is. I know of certain people that have done this to some of mine and then it goes missing from others & they have to log DNF's because some fool moved it from its initial spot. Then I have another cacher tell me that my cache is still around, just that a certain team of people moved it to make it easier.

Edited by Colorado Cacher
S and I are going to try and find the cache and set it back. One issue is that it takes us two hours to get to it and down to the next landing, but I was already planning to make a Jeep delivery anyways.

Here's what I wrote to the cacher:

Dear Cacher's Name,

If you have moved our cache, please don't try to replace it. We respectfully ask just that you tell us where it has been moved.

We feel that the placement and safety of this cache and its contents are our responsibility. So we will replace the cache in its hiding spot and remove the knife from the container.

Thank you for going for our cache. We want to tell you that you may feel free to ask for hints on any of our hides.

Regards,

T and S C

I have found that the high road always wins, and S and I have cooled our jets some.

- T of TandS

Please let us know how it works out.

Yep, nobody has a right to move a cache or make it easier than when it was intially planted. Total disrespect is all this is. I know of certain people that have done this to some of mine and then it goes missing from others & they have to log DNF's because some fool moved it from its initial spot. Then I have another cacher tell me that my cache is still around, just that a certain team of people moved it to make it easier.

I have a cache that seems to move quite a bit, every month since I set it out, I've had to go back and put it back in it's original spot (it has migrated as far as 15 feet from the place I put it originally) and it seems that the people who have moved it almost want it to be muggled (it is in a high muggle area). I guess they want it to be easier on the next cacher who comes along or for some reason they think they should put the cache where they think it should be and not where I placed it... sigh... yesterday where I put it back, I was with a friend who zeroed out the cords at the correct spot (he has a Magellen, I have a Garmin and we both got the same reading.... guess I'll have to do a monthly maintanace run just to make sure the cache is where its supposed to be. :rolleyes:

I have a cache that seems to move quite a bit, every month since I set it out, I've had to go back and put it back in it's original spot (it has migrated as far as 15 feet from the place I put it originally) and it seems that the people who have moved it almost want it to be muggled (it is in a high muggle area). I guess they want it to be easier on the next cacher who comes along or for some reason they think they should put the cache where they think it should be and not where I placed it... sigh... yesterday where I put it back, I was with a friend who zeroed out the cords at the correct spot (he has a Magellen, I have a Garmin and we both got the same reading.... guess I'll have to do a monthly maintanace run just to make sure the cache is where its supposed to be. <_<

Some people solve this by attaching the cache container with strong fishing line to a tree trunk or stump, etc., in an environmentally friendly manner. The cache can then only "migrate" up to the length of the fishing line.

I have a cache that seems to move quite a bit, every month since I set it out, I've had to go back and put it back in it's original spot (it has migrated as far as 15 feet from the place I put it originally) and it seems that the people who have moved it almost want it to be muggled (it is in a high muggle area). I guess they want it to be easier on the next cacher who comes along or for some reason they think they should put the cache where they think it should be and not where I placed it... sigh... yesterday where I put it back, I was with a friend who zeroed out the cords at the correct spot (he has a Magellen, I have a Garmin and we both got the same reading.... guess I'll have to do a monthly maintanace run just to make sure the cache is where its supposed to be. <_<

Some people solve this by attaching the cache container with strong fishing line to a tree trunk or stump, etc., in an environmentally friendly manner. The cache can then only "migrate" up to the length of the fishing line.

Spiderline would work. Invisible to the naked eye, almost. And almost indestructible.

I thought about it, but the rogue hide was way below 5 difficulty. Too bad, I don't have any 5/5 finds yet - :rolleyes:

Actually I feel very fortunate that the cacher was so cooperative. He told me right where it was, and I went right to it. I hope to share a beer with him some day.

- T of TandS