Still Don't Understand About Geocoin's

Sommers

I agree with AtlantaGal... the personal ones are definitely signature items... I will be placing at least 100 of our personal coins in caches... starting with this weekend.

The group/state ones can be used as collectibles or travelers... I have put several dozen of the California coins (2004 & 2005) into caches in the past couple of years...

I think they are all signature items -- either a personal signature item (like my own coin) or a signature of affiliation (the state/group coins).

People place them in caches, and also collect them. Part of the collecting is the mailing, trading, etc, etc.

There is some question as to what percetage are used in caches and what percentage are collected. It doesn't really matter though as that is a decision for the creator of the coin on how to distribute and/or trade.

The only real "issue" I see with geocoins is that some are not JUST signature items -- SOME of them are Travel Bugs (easy to identify -- because the have the tracking information on them). Some folks then decide to COLLECT other people's Travel Bugs -- which is okay if the owner is cool with that. The problem is when you COLLECT something the owner doesn't want you to collect. This is called theft.

So, in short:

1) Geocoin's are Travel Bugs when tackable

2) Geocoins are signature items when placed in a cache by their creator/group member

3) Geocoins are collectable geocaching memorabila that are traded, bought and sold.

Edited by Lemon Fresh Dog