Geo Density

k_statealan

I used to live in an area (Hays, KS) where caches were much more common than one would expect. In an area of a generous population estimate of 15,000 people there were just shy of 50 caches within 10 miles. Recently I moved 200 miles east to Topeka, KS and there are just 19 within 10 miles despite having a population that is 5 or 6 times higher. Hays had to be one of the denser areas in terms of caches/people in 10 miles anywhere I would think. Anyone have any other super dense areas? Major urban areas, although many have numerous caches, would be out because the population is so high. What I'm looking for are lesser populated areas with many caches.

Kearney, Nebraska: 114 active caches within 10 miles; population 28,000. I've enjoyed finding 12 of those caches and one is on my all-time favorites list.

Kane, Pennsylvania: 51 active caches within 10 miles; population 4,126. The cache population will increase by about ten in a few weeks because of an upcoming event cache. Similarly, Bradford PA has 89 active caches and a population of 9,175. These are towns in the middle of nowhere, up in the Allegheny National Forest.

Edited by The Leprechauns
Kearney, Nebraska: 114 active caches within 10 miles; population 28,000. I've enjoyed finding 12 of those caches and one is on my all-time favorites list.

While driving cross country from Arizona to Minnesota, we made a special point of stopping in Kearney because of the huge number of caches. We hit about 12 or so in a couple of hours and didn't even dent the map.

Kearney, Nebraska:  114 active caches within 10 miles; population 28,000.  I've enjoyed finding 12 of those caches and one is on my all-time favorites list.

While driving cross country from Arizona to Minnesota, we made a special point of stopping in Kearney because of the huge number of caches. We hit about 12 or so in a couple of hours and didn't even dent the map.

Neat. We both have more than 1,000 finds so I did a quick check to see which ones we shared in common. Not surprisingly, we've both done the Vegas Strip caches. But both our names are also in two of the logbooks for caches in a small town in the middle of Nebraska. Yet, you live in Arizona and I'm in Pennsylvania. Geocaching is cool that way!

Edited by The Leprechauns
Kane, Pennsylvania: 51 active caches within 10 miles; population 4,126. The cache population will increase by about ten in a few weeks because of an upcoming event cache. Similarly, Bradford PA has 89 active caches and a population of 9,175. These are towns in the middle of nowhere, up in the Allegheny National Forest.

Whooo Hooo. There isn't a whole lot else to do here :rolleyes:

Cool! I grew up in northwestern PA.

Sylva, NC (28779) has 92 within 5 miles and 153 within 10 miles.

Cullowhee, NC (28723) has 81 within 5 miles and 154 within 10 miles.

Both towns are located in Jackson County which has a population of approximately 33,000. It is located in western NC about an hour west of Asheville.

Come and visit...

Edited by OzGuff

I live in Murrieta, CA and I don't know exactaly how many are in the area but there is at least 30 WITHIN 1 mile of my house and when I look on the map of my area to locate a cache I see all cache and no map!! I personaly wish they werent so "dime-a-dozenis"

And by the way do you guys sit at cound all those active caches or is there a way to look at the database that will tell you?