Paperless Caching, M500 Palm And Usb Driver Hell

Team Ballibeg

As the title says i am struggling to get my XP computer to use recognise the m500 palm to hotsync on a usb cable. 'Device not recognised'. I direct it to the palm folder with drivers and it says driver no better than current one, but there isn't a current one.

Aaaarrggghhh.

Some info gleaned off Google on the issue but nothing has worked yet.

Any tips?

Dave :huh:

it should all work fine.

There may be a problem if you're using the desktop software from the CD which came with your Palm. I think that it pre-dates windows XP.

Download the latest version of Palm Desktop (v 4.1.4) from Palm

Install it

Plug your palm cradle into a usb port

push the hotsync button.

It really should be that simple.

If not, let us know the error message, and when it occurs. Also, is the cradle plugged into a usb port on the pc, or is it connected via a hub? If it's via a hub, it should still work, but try it directly connected aswell.

Hope this helps.

Nick

My old Palm IIIve (B&W, predates the M500), works fine with XP. I have moved on to a pocket PC for my Organiser and caching needs but the Palm still acts as a back up for Outlook ... and for the day the PPC dies!

My palm does have exclusive use of a serial port now that all my Garmin bits have moved on to USB. Before then, I just used to hot-swap the various cables and palm cradle as required from a serial extension lead.

Just checked my hot sync settings - all for serial comm ports so cannot shed any light if your Palm has a USB connection.

Did your software installation ask you to install a "conduit" to enable the Palm to connect to Outlook?