Bear Mace?

Three Simple Words

Help!!! Help!!! I remember a cacher having a product called bear mace. .I just can't remember who it was.. So If anybody could help me find a place to purchase this product.. Please send me a post or E-mail..

I always thought staying calm was the best way, And who wan't to carry a heavy thing like that around?? I'm just to cool!!.. But after what happen the other day.. I'm thinking I'll go with the mace..

Most outdoor stores will have it.

Personally I don't like the idea of the stuff. I have heard WAY too many stories of it not working and ticking off the bear even more. Though, I am not sure what your experiance was and if you plan to only use it on the black bears in the north east US, you'll probably be safe as they are usually pretty afraid of people.

Biggest thing to avoid bears is to seal food in air tite bags when hiking, using a bear can if you are in a bear prone area and don't smell good.

Edited by Muzikman

I see why you are looking for bear mace.

September 18 by Three Simple Words (257 found)

Thank you, Lord!

Well parked near Cliff’s and hiked the trail to the cache site. I found the numbers to be spot on. So I signed the log and made my way back to the car. Well as I walking down this hill, All of a sudden this black, monster truck tire size of a head, popped up from the brush a few feet away. Wow, did that spook the ……out of me. I should of stayed calm, but all I thought was, I must taste better than them small berries on that bush..So all I could think of was running for my life..Well I tried running, But basicly all I did was fall down the hill, and probably had everybody on RT 46, thinking I was being killed or something….And now I only wonder what that bear is thinking about me…Guess I’ll never know……

I think you should save your money, unless you will be around brown bears. Even if you carry mace, are you going to be able to get to it quick enough next time a bear pokes his head out at you? In some places you need training to use mace, so you don't end up with most of it on yourself. I was in Alaska about 5 years ago and our guide assured us that he had both mace and a .45 mag pistol. The mace was stowed so as not to be within easy reach because its not easy to carry. When I asked him about that he told me that they bring them to make the tourist feel comfy, but if a bear wanted to attack, there is little you can do with mace.

Black bears, which you encountered, are overall non-agressive. In very rare circumstances have black bears actually attacted someone, but its a shame that those are what makes the daily news, instead of the thousands of non-agressive bear encounters.

Just last night, I spent an hour watching a female bear and her two cubs forage in a dumpster located at a very remote bar in northern PA. It was facinating! I could of watched them longer if I hadn't tried to get closer and alerted her to my presence. She ran those cubs up the nearest tree and did nothing more than stay alert. 20 minutes later, they were all crawling back in the dumpster!

There are signs that a bear gives when they are acting agressive. If your concerned, you may want to research it. I know the signs, but its best to learn them on your own so you remember them.

Salvelinus

Well I tried running...

The absolute worst thing you can do. It can trigger the bear's pursuit instinct. Something running away could spell "dinner" to a bear. And no human being can out run a bear. I've seen them run and they are FAST.

You should back away slowly, while facing the bear, but avoiding eye contact.

Well I tried running...

The absolute worst thing you can do. It can trigger the bear's pursuit instinct. Something running away could spell "dinner" to a bear. And no human being can out run a bear. I've seen them run and they are FAST.

I agree 100% with what you said..In addition, I always thought I would do the same. However, having this sucker come face to face with out any warning. Well that's what made me make the bad choice of Running/Falling...It was I just had no time to think. And I was totally off guard...

Also, My sister lives in Blairstown, And she has bears that come into her yard every spring to climb the trees for cherries. When they walk by us is in the yard it's never a problem, and we know how to respond...It's Just when they give you no warning, that’s what messes with my mind..

Well I tried running...

I agree 100% with what you said..In addition, I always thought I would do the same. However, having this sucker come face to face with out any warning. Well that's what made me make the bad choice of Running/Falling..

When it is hot like its been, I find your chances of coming face to face without any warning are much greater. This is because, like the bear picture I took below, they go under the bushes and lay down to stay cool. They tend not to sit up unless you get too close and when they do, your heart stops. <_<

Other times of the year when it is cooler and there is less foliage, they are typically gone well in advance of your arrival.

dd526cd3-43e7-4d2a-b1a8-b80e969552cf.jpg