Temporarily Disabling Caches B/c Of Expected Flood

nnichols

Depending on the route that Rita decides on, there is a good possibility that we are in for a huge amount of rainfall over a 2-3 day period.

I have a cache that is located in an area that will most likely flood if we get the 12+ inches being forcasted.

Would it be an acceptible to disable a cache temporarily to save it from flooding?

If your still there, I would go pick it up and save it completely.

We are about 60miles south and west of Dallas and we are in the inland path of the storm. They are saying when it reaches us it will still be a Cat.1. I am alittle worried but what can you do right? They are pushing the path futher east every day...so hopefully it will be east of us. My caches (which I just put out) should be fine, there should be no flooding here (crossing fingers), but I would disable if I were you and get my containers until the storm is long over and people in that area feel like Geocaching again.

Good luck to all that are in the path and we will be praying for you!

Yea, if you have time, by all means pick it up and disable. I have a cache I physically remove & disable during the General Gun hunt every year, and last summer I picked up a number in advance of hurricane Charley (didn't get them back out for a looooonng time as charley was followed by Frances, Jeanne, Ivan and I missed some I should have gotten up - floated away away). Good luck

Ahhh. That's different. By all means, remove the cache and disable it. In the log note that you post, include an explanation of the reason, and promise to check on the cache area once any flood waters have subsided. Go back in a few weeks and assess the situation. Replace the cache if appropriate, and then re-enable it. If the area sustained damage (still muddy, trees fallen across the road, etc.), then post an update on the cache page. So long as you continue to monitor the situation and post updates, you should be fine. If there is no action for several months, a site volunteer may leave a note on your cache page to bug you. If you don't respond to that note, your cache might be archived.

Just a note -- I think this is PERFECTLY acceptable as I did this exact thing on my caches in Louisiana (I live in Nashville TN).

Knowing that my mother who live in Louisiana would not be able to remove or check on the caches, I disabled them wiht a note as to why. Since she lives just outside of New Orleans to the west, she did not get the flooding or wind damage as expected. As she gets a chance (my aunt and uncle whose house did get damaged just moved out of her house on Saturday) to check on them, I am enabling them slowly.

Definately post a note as to why they are disabled and update the pages as the weeks go by and there should not be a problem.

I should probably clarify that I am not in Texas :rolleyes:

I am in the OKC metro,

In that case, you should DEFINITELY get the hell out!!! Who'd live in Oklahoma by choice when there's such a much nicer state a few miles to the south???

:D:D:)

P.S. Keeping my fingers crossed that my Austin caches don't flood over before I get back into town.

Edited by KoosKoos
I should probably clarify that I am not in Texas :(

I am in the OKC metro,

In that case, you should DEFINITELY get the hell out!!! Who'd live in Oklahoma by choice when there's such a much nicer state a few miles to the south???

:huh::(:(

P.S. Keeping my fingers crossed that my Austin caches don't flood over before I get back into town.

:rolleyes::huh::(:(

If you are in OKC...then why the hype about leaving? The storm is only going to be a massive rain storm minus the 150mph winds by the time it gets to you. So the "get the hell out" idea in my opinion doesn't apply for you.

Now as far as your cache...I agree that it would be a good idea that you go and get the container and disable the listing before the rain hits. That is perfectally ok to do. Keep it until the waters go down, and then place it back and enable it.

Stay safe.

If your still there, I would go pick it up and save it completely.

Bad idea. If you're still there, forget the cache and get the hell out, immediately.

I don't want yours to be the next floating corpse I see on CNN.

Seriously, get out.

The voice of reason.

Listen to Rob. If you are in danger, you can replace the cache, but not your life.

Looks like we won't get any rain from this so I'm leaving it.

The reason I was concerned was that this particular cache is in a flood plain. If a massive amount (i.e. much more than normal) of rain is received, there is a good chance it would end up floating off.

I appreciate the concern for my safety. However, I'm certain that I'm far enough away that I have nothing to worry about <_<