Gps In Motocycle Helmets

flir67

"As soon as you take your eyes off the road, you're potentially causing a hazard," Tucker says.

The helmet is fitted with a small display unit, measuring approximately 2.5cm x 2cm, which has an LCD screen and can be seen to the left of the wearer's peripheral vision.

The guy is talking out both sides of his face. You don't take you eyes off the road, but have to look left to see the display? :huh:

Personally, I'll stick to looking down to see my controls, thank you.

:huh: As a CCRyder instructor I would be forced to condemn this idea right off the starting line.

It totally disrupts the concept of riding with 100% concentration and 60% of your riding ability.

Even a heads up display can make you miss the idiot who is about to t-bone or tailgate your butt while it's hanging out in the wind. :cry:

Someone (or everyone) is missing the point. I don't know exactly where they have the display mounted, "to the left of the wearer's peripheral vision" sounds like it is out of view. But you don't want the display on top of your normal view of the road. However a transparent display at the bottom of the windshield in cars has been shown to be much less distracting than the normal instrument panel.

In cars they project the image by reflecting it off the windshield so that it appears to be outside, just over the hood of the car. I don't think a similar display on a motorcycle helmet would be any worse and possibly better since it will move with the helmet and so will be easy to distinguish from an outside view.

I don't think this display will be any more distracting than a GPS mounted on the handlebars and is likely much less distracting.

Why knock it before you have tried it???

Yah that would be the typical HUD, but the picture makes it look like the unit is attached to the lower left of the chin guard. So, instead of a HUD overlay, it looks like a separate viewscreen you have to divert your eyes and look to the lower left. The natural tendancy in this situation would be for your head to follow suit as you try to look down and make it easier to view, taking more of your attention off of the road. Take a tic tac box and put it 2 inches from the left of your chin and try to read it sometime.

I might add, there also seems to be some misunderstanding of what the GPS technology can do and provide in the way of information:

Warwick says the potential for using GPS technology within motorcycle helmets is great. It could also be used to detect hazards on the road, including potholes and manhole covers, he says.
Edited by TotemLake
Someone (or everyone) is missing the point.

No, not really.

With a regular HUD the display is little different than any gauge. It's only closer to your field of view. (Of course, a fighter jet will superimpose tracking and targeting information into your field of view, but this is completely different.)

The problem I see right off is like having a huge bug on your face shield--you have to move it out of your way to see something. I see the same with this. On a bike, your field of view is massively larger than in a car. Smaller things in the road are a lot more critical on a bike than in a car, too. I choose the helmet I did because when it is on it doesn't encoarch into my field of view. I don't think I want to add something there that is not needed.

Besides, why pay the extra money when all I have to do is look down, anyway.

I certainly can see it for other applications, but for on a bike? I don't think so.

Actually, come to think about it. If it were to be a motorcycling application, having to look up to see the display would make more sense as what's on the ground is more important.

It sounds like have different ideas of what a heads up display is. If it is just a display on the helmet, that is pretty pointless. It should be a transparent display that allows you to see through it. Not a bug on your face shield, more like looking through sunglasses.

I have not seen the thing, so maybe I am the one who does not understand it. But if done right, a heads up display is much better than having to move your head down to look at a GPS. A speedometer only takes a fraction of a second to see. A GPS can take much more of your time and attention. Having it on the handlebars can be very bad. I know it creates problems for me in my truck. I try not to use it except when there are no cars around.

I'm not just talking through my hat either. Many people have driven motorcycles. I drove a motor exclusively for years. In my opinion there is no better way to improve your defensive driving skills than the the sort of combat you encounter while driving a motorcycle.

In my opinion there is no better way to improve your defensive driving skills than the the sort of combat you encounter while driving a motorcycle.

Ain't that the truth. Folks will look right at you and not recognize you as a vehicle and pull a bone-headed maneuver.

...of course, that goes for big trucks, as well. People just don't appreciate the trouble they can get into around one.

As for the helmet display, I guess it comes down to personal style. My speed isn't that important that I need it in my field of view at all times.

Now, if you combine GPS with a selective and smart display and audio, then it might be something I would consider. Programmable speed limit alerts; program your max speed and the display is blank until you exceed it and then there is a discreet visual alert and form of the FA-18's "Bit*'n Betty" that says "excessive speed." Combine this with autorouting that is already out; display is blank until there is something upcoming and important to show. Integrated weather alerts for inclement weather and so on. Bluetooth communications to a grip-mounted control pad.

Point is, make it smart and user programmable--not just a redundant piece of gear--and then it would be interesting. Very interesting.

Programmable speed limit alerts; program your max speed and the display is blank until you exceed it and then there is a discreet visual alert and form of the FA-18's "Bit*'n Betty" that says "excessive speed."  Combine this with autorouting that is already out; display is blank until there is something upcoming and important to show.  Integrated weather alerts for inclement weather and so on.  Bluetooth communications to a grip-mounted control pad.

Point is, make it smart and user programmable--not just a redundant piece of gear--and then it would be interesting.  Very interesting.

When can I find this on your website? I want one. :rolleyes: Excellent ideas!

Mike