Good Washington Pa Caches

ThePropers

For a good grouping of three caches in a suburban park, check out the classic Washington Park cache, then do a "search for nearest". If you have more time, check out this cache, because it's in the center of Mingo Creek County Park, about ten miles east of Washington. This park has about ten caches, ranging from easy grabs to half-mile hikes to challenging puzzles and multi's.

If you had to do just ONE high-quality cache within 10 miles of Washington, I highly recommend Chicken Chasing Challenge, which holds a spot on my Top 5% Cache List. It's all off by itself at a State Gameland, and will take more than an hour to complete.

Have a great trip!

Depending on your timeframe, I have two that are within a 20 minute drive from Washington:

NTM Old Log Church

Hughes Bridge -- this one will be back up tonight or Friday night.

All of the Washington Park ones are nice.

Almost as important as caching, there are a couple of nice resturants in Washington if you like to avoid the chains, as I do when I am traveling:

Solomans Seafood

Union Grill

Texas Roadhouse (Yeah, I know it is a chain, but it has some darn good food! )

:huh:

Edited by CW Iams

Oooh! Thanks for the restaurant tips!!! I'm hoping to make a caching trip through Washington and Greene counties with a friend, and it'd be nice to have a lunch stop or a dinner destination that wasn't fast food.

Now, wouldn't it be cool if there was a website with a searchable coordinate-based directory of non-chain, high-quality family and ethnic restaurants, so that the local person can share that knowledge and the visiting geocacher can find the good places to go? Oh, that's right... we've got one now. :huh:

There are 3 nice caches in the Peters Lake area which is a little closer than Mingo.

Peter's Lake Geocache (GCHTT8)

My Cache Runneth Over (GCJTN6)

A Bridge Too Far (GCKDTH)

There is also a really interesting park and grab nearby:

The Centaur's Delight (GCMF05)

This is definitely worth checking out if you like old ruins and stuff!

Lep: Best food in Washington, PA is Angelo's. Everything on the menu is first class. The restaurant has been around for about 50 years. Their Spinach, Fontenalla cheese flat bread is a great appetizer. If you like veal, every dish is great. If you like hot pepper dishes, they have a couple that will bring tears to your eyes. I'm getting hungry for their food as I type this.

Propers: Don't forget the YemonYimes caches in the Mayview/Boyce Park area or in on Arrowhead trail. They are only about 10 or 12 miles north of Washington.

Profundities in Peterswoods

One Clue over the Cuckoo's Nest

and if you have time Lynch Pond Lemonade it can be tricky depending on which direction you decide to come from.

The Holiday Inn in the Meadow Lands was remodeled in July and from what I hear, the rooms are nice. A better choice in Hotels about 7 miles north is The Hilton Sunken Gardens at Southpointe, and their Restaurant "Jacksons" has great food. Get off I-79 at the Southpointe exit. If you stay here you will be closer to the caches mentioned above.

Roy

Thanks everyone! I'll try to cover all the questions.

I'm arriving sometime late Sunday afternoon so I'll have a few hours that night. I have an 8:30 meeting on Monday morning at the courthouse to kick off a security assessment, but I should be leaving there by 10:30 or 11:00, so I have a good 4 or 5 hours before I need to leave to come home to Harrisburg.

I already made reservations at the Hampton, which is the hotel my contact recommended and is only about 4 minutes from the courthouse.

As for food, Angelo's sounds perfect. I usually hit up a good steak or seafood house since meals are on the company, but the thought of veal is making my mouth water. Mmmm....**drool**

I will take a look at all the cache suggestions later and plan accordingly. Hopefully I can hit up a few of them.

If only it was not disabled, you could hit this challenging cache up on your trip to Washington:  GCHA91

Ah man....it was disabled last time I was out that way, but I managed to get the one that it's based on during my return trip.

It's definitely on the top of my list to do.

All ready to go. *LAME* as new!

Oh man...and here I am home already.

Well, I didn't do too much while there. I ended up getting there well after dark on Sunday, so I didn't do any caching and ate at Texas Roadhouse (not that I'm complaining about the steak I had...yummy!). Today it was raining so I only did the Deer View cache to drop off some TBs.

Thanks for the suggestions though everyone. I'll be going back out there sometime in late October / early November, so hopefully the weather is nicer.

Edited by ThePropers