I Am Just Curious...

I am just curious, we have a lot of other statistics but, have just touched on this particular bit of info. There is also another point that I have been thinking about, it is after all of the questions...so, if they do not interest you, the last might.

Thank you in advance for any feedback. ~Shirley~

Do not answer all or any of the questions if they tend to bother you or seem silly.

1) Do you normally hunt benchmarks with another person or have you ever hunted with someone else?

2) Do you prefer to hunt benchmarks alone or with someone and why?

3) How many other people have you shown how to benchmark hunt and are they still pursuing the hobby?

4) What was the most enjoyable or memorable mark that you found and were you with someone to share it with or alone. If alone, could it have been more enjoyable or memorable if someone had been there with you?

5) If we had a contest that the prize was a chance to benchmark hunt with someone 'special' that is or was a part of GC ie. member, mod, approver, lacky or a person other than connected to GC and you won, who would that 'special person' be?

The other point that I have been pondering...

I have been thinking that we should have a 'special' (very unique or spectacular view) benchmark per state. So if someone is traveling, they would easily be able to go see one of that state's best benchmarks. There are many states that have been visited by just the regular posters on this forum. Are there any marks that you would refer to another benchmark hunter that was traveling, knowing that it would be an enjoyable find?

The cachers have this ability with their 'bookmark-favorite lists'. We have not considered this but, I think we might talk about it.

We have this unique ability to do this since there are benchmarks in all states in the U.S. and where ever there is one of our military bases. Not to mention the interesting marks in Canada and Mexico plus, there are also other countries with very unique marks.

Thanks everyone~

1. 75% of the time by myself.

2. It depends on the mark. Long hikes and mountain climbs, I prefer the company.

3. Four others. And yes, they continue to a small degree.

4. The old marks found on mountain tops that I have found have always been with others (except one). It is far more enjoyable to share it with others.

5. YOU, Shirley ! Oh....we can bring John too......if we have to......I guess.

As for most spectacular view......good idea....but very much a personal type of view point will always be a bias in the decision.

Edited by Spoo

1. 99% alone.

2. Alone or with wildbird. I will spend many hours looking for a benchmark and I've driven over 500 miles to find to find a difficult station on a mountain in Me. or NH. Most benchmarkers don't want to do that.

3. 1. Wildbird and he was with me yesterday looking for 3 bm's.

4. Any of the old stations on mountain tops. Drillholes and copper bolts are my favorites.

5. This is a hard one. There have been some comments in the forum's by some benchmarkers that have found some impressive benchmarks. I don't remember who they were but if push came to shove I'd find them.

#1. Almost always by myself. A few times my wife has accompanied me, but she doesn't really see the point, and would rather keep moving rather than beat the bushes trying to find something that might not be there.

#2. By myself, mostly because I don't know anyone who would enjoy hunting. Besides, I'm a hermit, just look at my forum image. :(

#3. None.

#4. Some of the ones on abandoned railroads that required a couple mile walk to and from. It's also interesting to see the old railroad bridges and industrial architecture. There have been some easy ones that were placed near old mills or other historic landmarks that were fascinating. It's fun to visualize the surroundings from the descriptions as they were years ago when the marks were set.

1) I geocache and benchmark by myself 20% or the time, and with my caching buddy the rest.

2) More fun with a second pair of eyes/good friend. But I search for the more difficult ones by myself.

3) Two brothers and one sister geocache (Washington, California and Maine). They don't seem especially interested in benchmarks. My caching friend would not cache, much less benchmark, alone.

4) Memorable. Hmm... LY0421, last found in 1934, but it's on railroad right of way...

KU0903, also railroad right of way. Last found in 1952. Guess, for the time being, I'd recommend LY2556, last found in 1993. This may change. Though, LY2562 was last reported in 1942.

5) Holograph would be fun to benchmark with. He's local. :(

Edited by Harry Dolphin

1) 99 percent alone. I have hunted with my son and once spent a day with GNBrotz.

2) See above. For the most part benchmarking is my "alone" sport. I get out of the house and away from those I love, and sometimes it is none too soon! I think everyone need some time to themselves and this is how I get it. If my son is in the right mood he is enjoyable to take along sometimes--we get quality time together and I admit it is very helpful to have someone to help measure and to provide ideas. The same with other benchmarkers. Greg (GNBrotz) and I had a great day together, and I plan to meet up with BDT and a few others this fall to revisit a mark some of us have some questions about.

3) I don't think I have passed this one to anyone, except my son, and I seriously doubt he will pursue it, as he only goes with me when is completely bored to death!

4) My fav, which I have mentioned before, was Barry 1885, a granite monument set in 1885 and not recovered since. It was my first real old mark and I planned it for months so it was a sweet find when I finally got to it. Being FTF for 119 years was a big bonus. Being there alone, in all honestly, made it all "mine". Any mark that was marked "not found" by an official agency tastes sweet too. And oh yeah, chiseled thingies (to use a technical term). For the most part I am sure these are much older than their first description date. I suspect most, along railroads in my area, date to the late 1800s.

5) I would probably head DDNutzy's way, because MAN he gets the cool old ones up there!

1)

a ) No

b ) No

2)

a ) Not particularly

b ) I don't try to benchmark with anyone else.

3)

a ) None

b ) N/A

4)

a ) The most enjoyable and memorable marks I've found are the ones on the tops of mountains involving a hiking/bushwhacking trip.

b ) It is certainly possible, yes.

5) I'm not picky about people. Every person has positive aspects!

To me, the only particularly enjoyable benchmark finds are those that would be geocaching FTFs, and among those, the ones that have the highest years-since-last-reported points. Of course, I don't know which ones of those can actually be found! :(

As a rather indirect way of recommending such marks though, I described a way of finding them in this old topic - finding those oldies.

In terms of recommending benchmarks with the best views, in a way, I and others have been doing just that by posting lots of them to the 'benchmark picture contest'. :( That might be a place to start a state list!

1) Do you normally hunt benchmarks with another person or have you ever hunted with someone else?

3) How many other people have you shown how to benchmark hunt and are they still pursuing the hobby?

4) What was the most enjoyable or memorable mark that you found and were you with someone to share it with or alone. If alone, could it have been more enjoyable or memorable if someone had been there with you?

5) If we had a contest that the prize was a chance to benchmark hunt with someone 'special' that is or was a part of GC ie. member, mod, approver, lacky or a person other than connected to GC and you won, who would that 'special person' be?

Thanks everyone~

1) yes

2) I prefer to hunt benchmarks with Shirley. Most of our friends have a hard time understanding that I actually want to spend the time with my wife and I get irritable if I feel others are cutting into that free time.

3) 4, our daughter & son-in-law, a friend here in town, & Me (but not Bucky);

yes, they still find a few now & then. Actually, we just taught Me how to go 4X4ing to those old "drill holes". Since then he has logged about 1000 more marks!

4) The most memorable would be a toss-up of several different oldies. One the NGS couldn't find near Searchlight, NV, a well preserved 1909 disk, 2 1871 cairns, and our first (later confirmed by Me & Bucky) drill hole (pre-1900).

5) I would have to put the names in a hat and draw the "lucky" winner. Names like Max Cacher (who has recovered a number of pre-1900 benchmarks), who gives me a lot of slack some days when I start to get a bit overbearing. Others who come to mind (in no particular order) Z 15, Kewanah, Me (& Bucky too), Jwahl, Callaway, Happycycler, RK, Geo TB1, so many more come to mind (even Spoo). :(

John

PS: Shirley said If I didn't reply She would hide the laptop!

1. 90% alone. My first benchmarking trip was with a friend at work who is into historical things, old buildings, and diners. I have benchmarked with my brother twice who has similar quirks in investigating and taking pictures of 'non-touristic' things like old buildings, odd cars, and signs. I have tried benchmarking with my girlfriend, but that has been tepid at best and disasterous at worst (the frequent stopping, what's the point, why did it take me so long, etc.).

2. Um, depends on the person (see 1.). I have become accustomed to doing this work alone. But, I do miss the walks around work with the friend at work (our work habits have changed and it just is harder to find the time to take and hour and a half walk at lunchtime).

3. I have shown it to a few people. In addition to the ones mentioned, I did a round up in Maine when I traveled with my parents. They almost took it on.

4. Now you are asking me to choose among my favorites! One of the most memorable periods was a weekend in Vermont. I twice woke up early in the morning to go find some benchmarks before breakfast. The hills east of the Barre area were surrounded by clouds and the low-lying areas were enshrouded in fog. But the sun was breaking through. I found several marks including two along an abandoned railroad line. At breakfast, I ended up talking with my hosts about the old railroad, an abandoned village, and the covered bridge that they were trying to preserve (she was on the historical society for the town). Could it have been more memorable with some one there? Possibly.

5. Stuck here - perhaps we need a regional get-together so I can meet some in person! The problem is that I haven't even been able to go to more than a couple geocacher meets either, so there goes that idea! Maybe BilboB for having similar feelings about the area mentioned in 4 (see Photo Contest 1); mloser to trek marks in PA; or anyone with a special affinity for historical factories and the like.

Um...Only ever hunted for 1 as a Benchmark Listed on this site. I was alone.
I do prefer hunting anything with other people. A bad day hanging out with friends just doesn't exist. Mostly I like answering what few questions I can in the Benchmark Forums.
I showed the surveyor that I work with this site in case he needed to find a benchmark and it could help. His first comment was about one on top of a mountain. I told him if he ever did find that one I'd go with him and log it.

My first cache was hidden at Initial Point which is the Initial point of the Boise Meridian. The cache was hidden a couple hundred feet to one side in lava rocks, so this. It wasn't a Benchmark hunt but I had also been there before just to see the Initial Point.

It would be the team that started this thread.

I don't know what would make a Benchmark special, however I'd have to say that in Idaho Initial Point would be a good one. Except it's not there... When it is there it's on top of a cinder small cone with a great view of the surrounding birds of prey nature area. Of course even when it's not there where it's supposed to be isn't bad.

Edited by Renegade Knight

1. No

2. Alone, like to get away from people

3. None

4. One that I had looked for previouly and was sure was gone. But found it 2 yrs later.

5. ? Have to think on that one

I can think if several in Michigan that would be memorable, one of the marks in the piers of the Straits of Mackinaw Bridge.

image038.jpg

Edited by Z15

I should revise my answer on 1b.

I have hunted benchmarks a few times with a friend at work. He doesn't have a GC.com ID - it's just something to do at lunchtime once in a while.

My wife has been present on a very few benchmark hunting trips when we were on vacations. She waits (naps) in the car since she has zero interest in benchmark hunting and geocaching.

Most of the time I hunt alone, but I enjoy hunting with "square nail", I have also hunted with "sixthings" in the past. I met both of them through this forum and their logs. I have also gotten to meet, but not hunt with "seventhings".

I do enjoy hunting with other people, it's fun to see how other people, hunt and enjoy this great hobby.

I have shown a handfull of other people, but none of them have taken it up themselves, but most have enjoyed learning a little bit about this hobby.

The "Jefferson Pier" near the base of the Washington Monument; due to the significant history of this monument and the patriotic setting that it involves. I was alone, except for the young lady that I had to ask to move off of it; I would have really enjoyed being there with "seventhings".

Almost any of the top finders and or posters to this forum, I believe what draws us all here is a genuine interest in history and appreciation of what was accomplished around this great country.

I have been thinking that we should have a 'special' (very unique or spectacular view) benchmark per state. So if someone is traveling, they would easily be able to go see one of that state's best benchmarks. There are many states that have been visited by just the regular posters on this forum. Are there any marks that you would refer to another benchmark hunter that was traveling, knowing that it would be an enjoyable find?

I think this is a great idea, I have suggested interesting marks to people who mentioned traveling in certain areas that I knew about. The reason I enjoy participating here is the fact that I do some substantial traveling with my job and I use my finds as a log of where I have been during a year. I go for age, uniqueness and quality over quanitity, so suggestions in a new state or area would be a great help.

Great topic, thanks

CallawayMT

Um...Only ever hunted for 1 as a Benchmark Listed on this site. I was alone.
I do prefer hunting anything with other people. A bad day hanging out with friends just doesn't exist. Mostly I like answering what few questions I can in the Benchmark Forums.
I showed the surveyor that I work with this site in case he needed to find a benchmark and it could help. His first comment was about one on top of a mountain. I told him if he ever did find that one I'd go with him and log it.

My first cache was hidden at Initial Point which is the Initial point of the Boise Meridian. The cache was hidden a couple hundred feet to one side in lava rocks, so this. It wasn't a Benchmark hunt but I had also been there before just to see the Initial Point.

It would be the team that started this thread.

I don't know what would make a Benchmark special, however I'd have to say that in Idaho Initial Point would be a good one. Except it's not there... When it is there it's on top of a cinder small cone with a great view of the surrounding birds of prey nature area. Of course even when it's not there where it's supposed to be isn't bad.

Renegade,

Keep an eye on the Boise Meridian; the Western Heritage Foundation and the Idaho Society of Professional Land Surveyors have plans to refurbish that monument and the whole area around the Initial Point. They intend to make it a nicer, family oriented place to visit and put in heavy duty tables and exhibits which might withstand the vandalism.

You may have to watch your cache also, who knows how much they have planned in that area.

CallawayMT

Wow! Thanks for all of the responses! This is Very interesting. And "Thank you" to those who thought that they would like to go benchmark hunting with us, I am flattered.

(Quoted from CallawayMT)

I think this is a great idea, I have suggested interesting marks to people who mentioned traveling in certain areas that I knew about. The reason I enjoy participating here is the fact that I do some substantial traveling with my job and I use my finds as a log of where I have been during a year. I go for age, uniqueness and quality over quanitity, so suggestions in a new state or area would be a great help.

I agree with CallawayMT about 'Age, Uniqueness and Quality'. But, can someone come up with a way to get this in a list that we could add our link onto the page for others to browse?

As Black Dog Tracker said - the Picture Contest thread is a good way to see which stations have the quality views, but the unique and old ones are not highlighted this way. Nor, are the people who are on dial-up able to use the thread very easily. So, we come back to the list with links idea....and I do not have any clue as to how we could do this or if there would be any other way to highlight those 'special' marks. Ideas????:ph34r:

Shirley~

Shirley,

I can create/host a web page or three for interesting/old marks, though I don't want to steal holograph's thunder.

I imagine a clickable state map with an introduction, and when you go there you can see travellogs and thumbnails of the best, the old and the more interesting PIDs for each state. The travellogs would be descriptions of how to get there, parking, the uniqueness of the location, and so forth.

Playing devil's advocate, however, hosting these categories as Waymarking categories might provide the same information surrounded by the Geocaching search structure. Thoughts?

As to what it might look like, take a look at the Lewis & Clark site, with info from seventhings, rogbarn and a few others. It would have a clickable map similar to the Indoor Benchmark site. I could make the map clickable by state, but instead of coloring in the counties I could put dots for each one. The state page would show them all.

Edited by BuckBrooke
Playing devil's advocate, however, hosting these categories as Waymarking categories might provide the same information surrounded by the Geocaching search structure. Thoughts?

As to what it might look like, take a look at the Lewis & Clark site, with info from seventhings, rogbarn and a few others. It would have a clickable map similar to the Indoor Benchmark site. I could make the map clickable by state, but instead of coloring in the counties I could put dots for each one. The state page would show them all.

BuckBrooke,

I have been thinking about the Waymarking....and I beleive that your fantastic map on your web site, would be better for the many benchmarkers of this site. I have seen what you can do and if you are willing to have yet another tab & map made available, that would be so cool.

Maybe we need another 'pinned thread at the top' with just links to such web pages....BuckBrooke's, WinterTime's, Zhanna and Holograph's...oh - I almost forgot the one with all of the different types of marks....Dusty Jacket's. Did I forget anyothers?? or does anyone else know of any others that I do not know about???

Anyone else have differing thoughts or agree with what I have just said?

Shirley~

Alone 74% of the time,24% With TIGGR.

Now I have aquired 2 grandkids so that number will change 2%.

Alone.

It is easier than 10,000 questions..but I do not mind teaching it to others as well.

But silence is GOLDEN when concentrating on the subject of the hunt.

I do not have the exact # but more than 10.

Most if not all of them.

Tavern Rock Reset.

200 years and 1 day to the date.

JC1721 TAVERN ROCK RESET

I just looked and I have not logged this one with the NGS.

Should I ? To ask you a question in the story.

But all have a memorable experience,some are just better.

I was Like the former Lewis and was resolved to do this alone.

Tavern Rock Cave nearby...Another Story in the Journals.

I learned about the buddy system(before this) that was created here when Clark told Lewis that he had better not go anywhere alone again along the journey.

IT WAS TOO IMPORTANT OF A MISSION TO RISK YOUR LIFE.

I tried and tried to get "ANYONE TO GO"

But that was at the time when there were fewer.

You would have enjoyed this.

And there are a few more opportunities to

WALK IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS 200 YEARS LATER.

You'all of course and the many others that I have had the great pleasure to meet and hunt with.

And anyone who wants to go.

The other point that I have been pondering...

The above mentioned mark at the Tavern.

You will have to gain permission though.

There is another in Illinois, Clarks Mound.

JC1580 CLARKS MOUND

Then in Iowa there is Sgt. Floyd Monument.

NM1694 FLOYD MONUMENT

OH YEAH!! and it will soon pass,the 200th Anniversary of the Mission and any of the Signature Discs.

Then we could go on up the River, but I will leave this to the Traveler on the Hunt.

To Go To the Yellowstone or Grand Tetons..Utah, Colorado,Arizona New Mexico....I am forgetting quite a few..so tooooda luuuuuu

I would like there to be a Kentucky best benchmark, and once it gets set up, I could post in the GEOKY forums and see if anyone has a recommendation. I think there is a couple active BM hunters in KY, but I'm not sure who they are. I only have 10, and none of them were special in any way.

Shirley (of 2oldfarts) and I are organizing a website for these marks. It will be themed "If You're In the Area...", and will be that

that if you are going to a different area for any reason....then you might like to have some 'special marks' to go and recover.

In addition, it will attempt to showcase the 'Old, Unique and Scenic' marks (and some intersection stations) of a state. Typically, a mark/intersection station must meet two of these three categories to qualify.

Please email me with your submissions. The format for each will be similar to the format for each of the marks in the Lewis & Clark page. Please provide (if possible), or give links to, the standard two photos (a closeup of the object, and a shoulder height picture), a to-reach description (including driving directions) and comments on the site, its history, its scenicness, etc.

As to the signature mark for each state, it's a good idea. However, this might limit states with more marks, or more signature marks. Also, that implies ranking, and some marks may be hard to compare. Thus, having a featured mark might work as well.

We’ve been away from the hobby for about a month, so this response is later than we might have preferred, but here goes. Thanks for asking!

1) We always work together,

2) and the reason is that we’re retired and hang out together most of the time, whatever we’re doing.

3) We haven’t been at it long enough yet to involve others.

4) We started earlier this year, and our total is fewer than 100, so the memorability index isn’t all that high. Still, one of our relatively early finds, a row of stone meridian markers on Nantucket, continues to rank as one of the big thrills of the chase. From north to south, they are LW4184, LW4251, and LW4252. The last of these is broken off below the ground, but we were able to locate and temporarily expose the octagonal base without disturbing it. According to the NGS datasheet, it hadn’t been reported since 1887. (We recognize that whoever reported the middle stone in 1955 ought to have located the other two, and most probably did, but the datasheets say what they say.)

5) We’ve learned so much from so many that it would be hard to pick one ideal companion.

One other point) We loved visiting the site of the Willamette Stone in Oregon, and are saddened at its present status at NGS. It’s very often visited, which makes it a great candidate or a crummy one, depending on your point of view. Our own feeling is that if we were traveling through a new area, we’d be more on the lookout for marks that haven’t been seen lately and might want recovering or thorough and careful not-finding. Our idea of a state’s best could very easily be far from someone else’s.

I posted in GEOKY to see if anyone would like to submit unique benchmark's for Kentucky. I'm not worried about a state "Best" BM, I was just thinking about special benchmarks in general. It might be a cool idea, but determining the best would definitely vary by opinion.

Airmapper,

As the 'Web Master' of his site, BuckBrooke will be the one to decide which is the best candidate to have for each state. But, that particular mark could change when we submit any other that he thinks is better. It sounds like a good plan anyway. applaus.gif

m&h,

Good to see you back.

Those stone meridian markers sound like something that I would enjoy seeing if we were ever to travel that way.

We actually went to see the Von Schmitt Cal/Nv Iron post monument close to Laughlin, NV. that others had already recovered. It still was impressive & we were very happy to make our own report on this historical site. (He missed calculated & they had to refigure the state line.)

Certain marks are fun to see, even if they have already been recovered & some of the views are something that most do not ever see.

Shirley~

I quoted Buckbrookes post to tell GEOKY what he was doing. I've noticed Kentucky sometimes gets left out, so I thought if any BM hunters knew of unique benchmarks, they might mention them. I don't think there are many BM hunters in KY. I am the only person logging BM's in my area, I don't know about other areas.

I looked at a site by Holograph, (I think, it could have been another persons site) that had all the oldest, most time since last visit, and other key BM's for a state. All of them were out of the range I travel. But they were interesting. I like the idea of scenic benchmarks, I hope someone in KY will mention one who has actually been there and knows it has a great view or other interesting history.

2oldfarts (the rockhounders) Posted on Sep 30 2005, 11:07 AM

Maybe we need another 'pinned thread at the top' with just links to such web pages....

Here are some benchmarking sites:

Wintertime's

BuckBrooke's

holograph's

DustyJacket's

Zhanna's

mloser's

BlackDogTrackers'

BDT,

I hope you do not mind, but I included the links that you provided into the "Geodetic pinned thread" at the top. Thank you very much for gathering them for our 'fingertip' use. ;)

Also...from BuckBrooke, Oct. 1

Shirley (of 2oldfarts) and I are organizing a website for these marks. It will be themed "If You're In the Area...", and will be that

that if you are going to a different area for any reason....then you might like to have some 'special marks' to go and recover.

In addition, it will attempt to showcase the 'Old, Unique and Scenic' marks (and some intersection stations) of a state. Typically, a mark/intersection station must meet two of these three categories to qualify.

Please email me with your submissions. The format for each will be similar to the format for each of the marks in the Lewis & Clark page. Please provide (if possible), or give links to, the standard two photos (a closeup of the object, and a shoulder height picture), a to-reach description (including driving directions) and comments on the site, its history, its scenicness, etc.

As to the signature mark for each state, it's a good idea. However, this might limit states with more marks, or more signature marks. Also, that implies ranking, and some marks may be hard to compare. Thus, having a featured mark might work as well.

Has anyone sent anything into BuckBrooke? I am still pondering which one to write a volume about of ours to submit. Then, we will have to go get parking coordinates for the submission.

I hope everyone will send in at least one....Thanks everyone!!

Shirley~