Nj Geocoin Naming Idea

briansnat

When activating my brand new NJ geocoins I noticed that you can change the name.

I thought perhaps we could consider naming our coins after prominent NJ residents, perhaps with a little blurb about the person being honored.

I have activated my first coin and called it NJ Geocoin: Grover Cleveland and the text says:

"This Geocoin is named after Grover Cleveland, the only President of the US born in New Jersey. Cleveland was the only president to serve two, non consecutive terms. Many historians consider Cleveland to be among the greatest US presidents and we are proud to call him our own."

I thought this would be a neat idea. If you agree, perhaps we can use this thread to keep track of the people being honored.

My second NJ geocoin is to be named after Lord Stirling.

I haven't gotten my NJ coins yet! :ph34r:

I'll have to think of some NJ names to honor...how about the Boss or Bon Jovi? Former Gov McGreevey? :lol:

Hehe... just being silly. However, as a NJ transplant, my prominent NJ citizen knowledge is more than deficient. I'll check back on this thread for suggestions.

I think the NJ TP reststops are named after famous New Jersans....hmm...maybe I could use rest stop "Walt Whitman" or "Clara Barton"! I did a virtual cache in Edison about Thomas Edison...guess he would fit this theme too.

I haven't gotten my NJ coins yet!  :ph34r:

I'll have to think of some NJ names to honor...how about the Boss or Bon Jovi? Former Gov McGreevey?  :lol:

Hehe... just being silly.  However, as a NJ transplant, my prominent NJ citizen knowledge is more than deficient.  I'll check back on this thread for suggestions.

I think the NJ TP reststops are named after famous New Jersans....hmm...maybe I could use rest stop "Walt Whitman" or "Clara Barton"!  I did a virtual cache in Edison about Thomas Edison...guess he would fit this theme too.

Well you have two there.

Here is a good place to start.

Here are some more:

Bud Abbott comedian, Asbury Park

Charles Addams cartoonist, Westfield

Edwin Aldrin astronaut, Montclair

William Count Basie band leader, Red Bank

Joan Bennett actress, Palisades

Judy Blume author, Elizabeth

Jon Bon Jovi musician, Sayreville

William J. Brennan jurist, Newark

Aaron Burr political leader, Newark

Lloyd H. Conover inventor, Orange

James Fenimore Cooper author, Burlington

Lou Costello comedian, Paterson

Stephen Crane writer, Newark

Helen Gahagan Douglas representative, Boonton

Allen Ginsberg poet, Newark

Savron Glover choreographer, Newark

William Frederick Halsey, Jr. admiral, Elizabeth

Lauryn Hill rapper, South Orange

Donald Fletcher Holmes inventor, Woodbury

Whitney Houston entertainer, Newark

Alfred Joyce Kilmer poet, New Brunswick

Alfred C. Kinsey zoologist, Hoboken

Ernie Kovacs comedian, Trenton

Dorothea Lange photographer, Hoboken

Jerry Lewis comedian, film director, Newark

Anne Morrow Lindbergh author, Englewood

Norman Mailer author, Long Branch

James W. Marshall discovered gold in California, Hunterdon

Patricia McBride ballerina, Teanick

Eger V. Murphree inventor, Bayonne

Jack Nicholson actor, Neptune City

Shaquille O'Neil athlete, Newark

Dorothy Parker author, West Bend

Zebulon Mongomery Pike explorer, soldier, Lamberton

Joe Piscopo comedian, actor, Passaic

Paul Robeson singer, actor, Princeton

Edward J. Rosinski inventor, Gloucester County

Philip Milton Roth author, Newark

Antonin Scalia jurist,Trenton

Norman Schwarzkopf army general, Trenton

Frank Sinatra singer, actor, Hoboken

Kevin Smith director, Red Bank

Kevin Spacey actor, South Orange

Bruce Springsteen musician, Freehold

Amos Alonzo Stagg football coach, West Orange

Meryl Streep actress, Summit

Albert Payson Terhune journalist, author, Newark

Dave Thomas restaurateur, Atlantic City

William Henry Vanderbilt financier, New Brunswick

Sarah Vaughan singer, Newark

Dionne Warwick actress, singer, East Orange

Donna Weinbrecht, Olympic gold medal skier, West Milford

William Carlos Williams physician, poet, Rutherford

Ray Liotta actor, Newark

Edmund Wilson literary critic, author, Red Bank

And some people who weren't born here but spent significant parts of their life here and are often linked to NJ:

Vince Lombardi

Albert Einstein

Woodrow Wilson

Thomas Edison

Charles Lindburgh

Thomas Paine

Samuel Colt

Yogi Berra

Les Paul

Thomas Nast

And some important NJ historic figures:

Lord Stirling, Rev. War general

Garrett Hobart vice president of US

Richard Stockton, signer Declaration of Independence

Francis Hopkinson signer declaration of Independence, designer US flag

John Hart, signer Declaration of Independence

Seth Boyden, inventor (patent leather)

Frederick T. Frelinghuysen, US Senator, Secretary of State

Philip Carteret, colonial governor

Wiliam Paterson, first governor of US state of New Jersey

Robert Erskine, Ironmaster, cartographer, Surveyor General - Continental Army

Molly Pitcher (Mary Hays McCauly), Revolutionary War heroine

James Caldwell, minister, Revolutionary War hero

Edited by briansnat
I haven't gotten my NJ coins yet!  :ph34r:

I'll have to think of some NJ names to honor...how about the Boss or Bon Jovi? Former Gov McGreevey?  :lol:

Hehe... just being silly.  However, as a NJ transplant, my prominent NJ citizen knowledge is more than deficient.  I'll check back on this thread for suggestions.

I think the NJ TP reststops are named after famous New Jersans....hmm...maybe I could use rest stop "Walt Whitman" or "Clara Barton"!  I did a virtual cache in Edison about Thomas Edison...guess he would fit this theme too.

I understand they will be mailed but probably after this event. I'm just assuming so anyone know for sure?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...31-8b536f119fe0

I haven't gotten my NJ coins yet!  :(

I'll have to think of some NJ names to honor...how about the Boss or Bon Jovi? Former Gov McGreevey?  :(

I understand they will be mailed but probably after this event. I'm just assuming so anyone know for sure?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...31-8b536f119fe0

They will be handed out to those who live nearby and wanted to forgoe the shipping costs.

Everyone else's coins have been shipped. Eveyone should start receiving them this week and next week.

Mike :(

I got my coins...I got my coins (oops...we got our coins, we got our coins).

Now, let's see:

Jim Florio....naw...too happy

Frank Sinatra (sounds promising)

Jack Nicholson (another good one)

John Taylor (founder of Taylor Ham) A MUST!

....still thinking.

The Coins LOOK FABULOUS! (Dang, Billy Crystal's from LI)

Edited by MrResolution

I could not think of a historical person so I went with a historical event.

When I was young I remember my Mom telling me about how she and her brothers drove to Lakehurst to see the wreckage of the Hindenburg in 1937. This made an impression on her generation of the consequences of technology that had gone very, very wrong.

I ended up becoming an engineer deeling with technology and family stories like this stuck with me through my career. This is also the earliest venture of my family into NJ other than a quick transit through Ellis Island when entering the country.

So in memory of those that lost their life and in the hope that the lessons learned from this and other tragedies will prevent their reoccurance, I have dedicated my geo-coin to the Hindenburg.

Hindenburg NJ Geocoin

Oddly, Frodo, the lesson to be learnt from the Hindenberg Disaster is that we Americans are/were the major producers of helium, and refused to sell it to the Germans. They were forced to use hydrogen to provide lift to their airships. Hydrogen is very flammable; helium is non-flammable. The exigencies of politics ignore concerns for humanity.

My coin is named for Sarah Vaughan.

Harry,

Thanks for the comment.

The politics behind the refusal of the US to sell helium to Germany in the run up to WW2 was one of several lessons learned from the Hindenburg disaster. There are other factors still being debated to this day. My point is technology - even when all the dangers are considered - can go very, very wrong. And please don't get me started on NASA.

Anyway - lets keep this thread directed to the naming of NJ geocoins. To me it would be very interesting to see a compendium of all the NJ geocoin dedications. I am sure we could get a very interesting history lesson from such a list.

Frodo

Anyone have a list of names used?

Judging from this thread these were definitely used:

John Hart

Lord Stirling

Grover Cleveland

Zebulon Pike

Phil Kearny

Birth of Baseball

First Brewery

These were planned to be used, but not sure if they actually have been:

Tony Soprano

Jimmy Hoffa

Sarah Vaughn

Activating 4 of my 10 coins today using the names:

1.  Edwin Aldrin

2.  Francis Hopkinson

3.  Joyce Kilmer

4.  Molly Pitcher

A slightly strange story about Kilmer. My brother has the personal effects that were found on the body of Joyce Kilmer when he was killed in action during WW1. In the pre Ebay years he found an Internet auction of stuff from the estate of one of Kilmers heirs (a neice I think). Among the items where his personal effects. They were asking something like $2,000 and my bro offered $500 and they took it.

So a few weeks later he gets a package. A folded and well worn photo of Kilmer's mother, a small card with "A Soldiers Prayer" printed on it (didn't work too well for Joyce), a good conduct pass, a letter from a cousin, and a few other things.

Edited by briansnat

In keeping with the naming convention, I just activated NJGeocoin: Scott Fischer...

Although a native of Michigan, I went to school with Scott in Basking Ridge from 6th grade thru HS (1969-1973)...

"On Friday, May 10, 1996, a severe and sudden storm trapped several climbers high on Mt. Everest as they were descending from the summit. In what has become the deadliest single tragedy in the mountain's climbing history, a total of eight people perished. One of them is renowned Seattle climbing guide Scott Fischer."

Accounts of what happened in 1996 were described in the books "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev and Gary Weston DeWalt and "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer.

Mountain Madness

http://www.answers.com/topic/scott-fischer

http://classic.mountainzone.com/climbing/f...er/fischer.html

He was a friend of mine, and is truely missed.

fischer.jpg

Edited by Peconic Bay Sailors
In keeping with the naming convention, I just activated NJGeocoin: Scott Fischer...

Although a native of Michigan, I went to school with Scott in Basking Ridge from 6th grade thru HS (1969-1973)...

"On Friday, May 10, 1996, a severe and sudden storm trapped several climbers high on Mt. Everest as they were descending from the summit. In what has become the deadliest single tragedy in the mountain's climbing history, a total of eight people perished. One of them is renowned Seattle climbing guide Scott Fischer."

Accounts of what happened in 1996 were described in the books "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev and Gary Weston DeWalt and "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer.

I read "Into Thin Air" about a year ago. I remember reading that Fischer was from New Jersey. It is a very good book from the perspective of the writer who survived the chaos himself. I maybe wrong but I remember reading that his body is still up on Everest. May they all rest in peace.

The Robert Erskine geocoin has been registered.

So far (from what I can tell) here are the names that have been used:

John Hart

Lord Stirling

Grover Cleveland

Zebulon Pike

Phil Kearny

Robert Erskine

Birth of Baseball

First Brewery

Sarah Vaughn

Scott Fischer

Edwin Aldrin

Francis Hopkinson

Joyce Kilmer

Molly Pitcher

Danny DeVito

Norman Schwarzkopf

These were planned to be used, but not sure if they actually have been:

Tony Soprano

Jimmy Hoffa

...can't forget musicians Jerry Only, his brother Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein (yep, he legally changed his name to this!) and Dr. Chudd of "The Misfits".

One could also be in keeping with the state by naming coins "Fageddaboudit" or "The Toxic Avenger". Keep the creativity coming, folks!