Jaybee's Geocoin Shipping Method

Go JayBee

This is another pinned thread that has run it's course. It is still available by searching.

The reason I need to unpin some threads is that too many are pinned and you can no longer see the newest threads on some screens. This one has not had a lot of activity so I must unpin it.

This is another pinned thread that has run it's course.  It is still available by searching. 

The reason I need to unpin some threads is that too many are pinned and you can no longer see the newest threads on some screens.  This one has not had a lot of activity so I must unpin it.

How's that search feature coming?

I'm pretty sure she doesn't control whether the search function is working or not, but I did send her a PM directing her to the suggestion Ladycacher had. She can determine if it's worthwhile or not. Seemed to be a better method than yours. ;)

Edited by robert

Well, I must admit that I haven't adhered to this shipping method myself, but today I received some coins that I am sure would not have made it to me had the sender not followed these guidelines.

I got a package from DHobby1 today that had 4 holes in it, was totally black on the back side, and was so squashed, I am surprised the outside wasn't completely shredded! With the exception of some of the "extras" that were included in the shipment, neither of the coins were damaged, and everything made it here to me!

Wow. :blink:

Safety_Mailer.jpg

No No No! Please I beg you. I removed link, so hopefully, others won't use  them. (read on)!

I just bought a few coins this last week, and received a variety of packages.

Here are my recommendations.

1) The best one so far, actually best two, was a regular size envelope and the business size envelope with the coin wrapped in newspaper. Then wrapped in plain white #20 paper with the instructions on where to activate the coin. (Greatly appreciated – see below). Then stuffed into the envelope and taped at the edges. Unless you’re using the paypal/ebay mailing labels, which the label doesn’t fit these envelopes. It’s not only easy to put into a mailbox and also to get out, but very easy to remover the coin. Remember: I am not just getting your one coin in one package per day. Yes I have the extra large curbside rural mailboxes, and it gets stuffed some days. And yes, I remembered to take care of my mailperson for Christmas, too! This one gets 4 smiles. :D:D:D:D

2) The next best are the bubble pak shippers approx size of 7*9. I think they are just way over sized for the coins. If they were half that size, they would be perfect. This one gets 2 smiles :D:D

3) Then the larger size bubble pak shippers of 9*11.5. Again, over sized and over kill. (The horse, is already dead)! This one gets 1 smile. :D

4) And the worst so far: is the cardboard with the contact glue, holding the coin in place. For those that ship using these, try placing a coin in one, and let it sit on your desk for a week. Then try to open it. Now maybe you’ll rethink how you are packing it. Thankfully, I missed cutting the coin, and just got the vinyl sleeve with the exacto knife. This one gets 1 unhappy :D .

And Last but not least, please, please, please, if you aren’t supplying the activation code, at least supply the web address, as to where we need to go and activate it. It’s like only getting part of the coin! :D :D I guess, you wouldn’t mind getting paid in two installments, right!

Happy Trading / Selling and most of all Caching!

SF1

I would suggest that individuals take the time to put a piece of tape on the sides of the envelope. Other than the one that was sliced, I have received several envelopes where the ends have been torn or opened. Especially if you are reusing envelopes, a piece of tape on the four sides just helps to keep the coin safe.

I'm glad that you folks are coming up with secure methods of Coin Transportation......

With all the coins that were shipped last month I'm sure you might have experienced some poor shipping methods...I know, I did.

Overall though, I'd say that the well packaged shipments far outnumber the poorly packaged ones.

I guess our suggestions are working.......

Here's to safe shipping in 2006..........

Where do I get the labels I need to have them printed and paid thru paypal?

We ordered them through labeluniverse.com

USPS Click-N-Ship

That's a good price. I get them in boxes of 100 at office depot or Officemax, but they are just a single sheet and the label must be cut out. I'll try these next time (never thought I would need a "next time" with a box of 100...sheeeeesh).

Edited by workerofwood
I would suggest that individuals take the time to put a piece of tape on the sides of the envelope. Other than the one that was sliced, I have received several envelopes where the ends have been torn or opened. Especially if you are reusing envelopes, a piece of tape on the four sides just helps to keep the coin safe.

I tape the ends...them bubble mailers can be easily opened at the flap without tearing...

i ran out of my last order of 100 mini mailers from mailersandmore.com, and i've been trying for a week now to get to there site to order more, only to today find a message saying they are no longer in business!!!

CRUD. now i need to find a cheap source of good quality evelopes...

I've received all of my coins in very small bubble envelopes. Where in heck to you get those?  They are maybe 3"x4". I can't find them anywhere and I'd love to use them when mailing coin trades.

I got them at mailersandmore.com

This is a 4 x 4.5

Most of the little ones I use and receive have the web address on the envelope :)

Mailers & More are out of operation.

If anyone knows where else to get them,We would like to know!

R3&BH

I know that I have had a little grief from my local post office when trying to use the smallest bubble mailer. It needs to be a certain thickness to be acceptable - at those dimensions (3x5 or something?) it can fall through the slots in the carts if it is too thin. I stopped having coins go missing in the mail when I stopped using those mailers.

Xpak - say no to torn mailers! #00 = $0.128 ea

I double pack my shipments - #000 yellow = $0.085 ea inside of a #00.

Yes, it costs a little more, but for $.20 you get a very well padded, very robust package that will always meet the 3/4" requirement for delivery confirmation and is very light weight.

Actually, I triple pack my shipments as coins go into folded card stock to prevent them from sliding around :D

I get the above supplies at esupplystore.com

I should add that for shipments >13 oz I use the free priority mailers (VHS size) from USPS. For international, 1-2 coins go the above triple-pack method. Then the rates cross over and I switch to global priority flat rate.

Very large orders go into small brown cardboard boxes. I also have some white VHS boxes back from the days before I discovered Xpak that I occasionally use.

Edited by crake

Once upon a time somebody posted a link to a video of high speed sorting machines. This would give people an idea of what envelopes go through on there way through the system.

I have received several coins lately (not just one) that have gotten to me more through luck than anything else, so I decided it was time to resuscitate this old but valuable thread.

Once upon a time somebody posted a link to a video of high speed sorting machines. This would give people an idea of what envelopes go through on there way through the system.

I have received several coins lately (not just one) that have gotten to me more through luck than anything else, so I decided it was time to resuscitate this old but valuable thread.

I remember that video. It was amazing. This isn't the same video but it gives you an idea.

I also have received a few coins that I was amazed they actually made it to me. One of them was sent by a newbie in a regular envelope. It is a wonderful coin and I am very happy that it arrived as it was actually loose in my mailbox. I also received one from Groundspeak that had the end sliced. It was a paper bubbler. The coin was still in the bubble by luck alone I think. I also have received a sliced poly envelope. For those of you who have received coins from me you know that I use LOTS of tape! :laughing:

People ask me why shipping is so expensive... well, bubble mailers, labels and tape are not free! I ship in 3" by 6" bubble mailers... it's a package rate, not a letter so it costs more but they do arrive without the coins having squibbed out during the sorting process. If I need to use delivery confirmation (bright green USPS slip) the packages have to be 0.75" thick... so, I cut up old mailers that were sent to me into thirds, wrap up the coin in it, now I have recycled the old mailer and I have thicker package.

Ugh, just got hit with the "not thick enough for delivery confirmation" sticker and postage due of $4.20 due to the upgrade to Priority Mail. First time this happened to me after sending out hundreds of mailers before. Guess it's a crapshoot with the post office at the receiving end.

I'd like to put out there that I'd really love to know if something happens to a coin that I sent you in transit. I know some people are hesitant to tell the person who has shipped it (okay, I've done the same thing with being hesitant about telling someone that something came with me owing money or what not) but I am saying here, please let me know! I've tried a few different shipping methods and if something isn't working, I need to know so I won't do it anymore for anyone else. :)

Also, if you get charged extra shipping or whatever, don't hesitate to tell me, I will pay the extra.