Ironmaker's Conference With Hikes

Tiffany's Slaves

Have you ever wondered what those piles of rocks are that you climb over to get caches? Have you ever wondered why there are random holes in the ground, sometimes filled with water? Have you ever stubbed your toe on an iron rod sticking up out of the ground? Well, the come to the infamous annual(ish) Northeastern Ironmaker's (previously Ironmaster's, but we're politically correct) Conference on Saturday, Oct. 15, probably starting around 9 am.

The Famous Archaeologist Ed Lenik is leading this conference but he isn't leading the hikes. One hike on Friday, Oct. 14, is being led from the Sterling Forest Visitor's Center, NY, at 2pm on Friday, by Sterling Forest personnell (but we checked, they're OK). Another hike is taking place Sunday at 10 am from Lond Pond Ironworks, NJ. Paul Frost is leading that one. Ed's books will be on sale though, as will those of Rodney Johnston (about Edison Mines). Both Rodney and Tiffany's Chief Assistant will be giving talks.

The conference is at Sterling State Park Visitor's Center. If you have never visited it, you should - it has the best dioramas explaining the iron industry that exist. If you would like to come, please RSVP to Carol Johnson at cjohnson@njit.edu. We want you there!!!!!

You don't need to RSVP - just show up. The talks on Saturday are going to be from 9 to about 5 - there's 10 20 minute talks. I (the Chief Assistant) am on at about 9:30. My talk, of course, will be so wonderful that the heavens will open, sunlight will pour down, etc. Ed Lenik, the archaeologist who wrote the Iron Mine Trails book (as well as Indians in the Ramapos and Picture Rocks) has organized all of this. It's a good place to trade ideas.