Category Proposals - Museums

I think that leaving the category too broad would make it 'unusable'. For instance, I can think of at least 5 museums within 5 miles of me and three of those are in a so called museum campus. If I'm looking for an art museum, a museum dedicated to the history of the sewing machine doesn't really scratch that itch. I think that museums should be more closely aligned to the category to which they are dedicated.

History Museum - History

Car Museum - Transportation

Art Museum - Art

Sewing Machine Museum - ???

There you go, my $0.02

Edited by gamoody

We already have oddball museums so I agree we should have others Art,Science, History etc. I did have a museum turned down for oddball museum as it was not odd enogh for the owner of that category even though it houses the head of General Meades Horse. If we had other categories I could create a waymark for my Civil War Museum. So there you have my two cents worth thats three categorys:

Art museum

Science Museum

History Museum

My two cents worth

( I have proposed it this way as TPTB say there are not sub-categories but each is its own category and then when it is allowed the owner and TPTB decide where it goes)

Am a little surprised there isn't already these museum subcategories....

I like Art, History, Science, and Children's Museums as side categories... I think car museums would either fall into history or oddball (most car museums are more about the history of cars so that is history to me, I don't think it would be productive to have 500 subcategories of different types of museums... 5 or 6 should suffice)

Hey guys, I wish to remind everyone that does not realize but: THERE ARE NO SUB_CATEGORIES

taken from Jeremy's post om Aug 16:

"I keep seeing this recommendation for a sub-category. There is no such thing as a proposed sub-category per se. When you make a request for a new waymark category you do just that - Ask for a waymark category to be created and you become the manager.

For example, my wife really enjoys factory tours. So I suggest the waymark category "Factory Tours" and put it through this process. If it goes past 2/3 rule (and possibly, as suggested, passes the veto rights of Groundspeak), it gets listed and the category is transferred. At that point it will be Groundspeak's role to put it in the taxonomy of the site, though suggestions as to where this goes is welcome.

What many folks are asking for in the way of a subcategory is really a waymark variable. For example, a type of blog is an option for the blogger category. With these variables you can further filter out information within that waymark category. They are not broken out into subcategories of Personal, War, etc. blogs.

The process outlined above helps better define the waymark category, which is turning out to be a good idea. It also makes sure the waymark category manager really wants to manage this category or if it is just a whim. From there the category can be further upgraded/downgraded to fit within a certain threshold. For a good example the McDonalds category has been severely downgraded and shouldn't show up in the directory unless you decide to show them all. This is illustrating that even categories that are listed can possibly be downgraded to obscurity."

Each MUSEUM needs to be proposed separately in its on thread! That is what I was referring to in my other post, since they were not my ideas I left it up to the original poster to follow up with.

Edited by chstress53

I was asked about a virtual cache for a museum and decided to bump this topic. Though the category would be broad, a proximity search would yield results that you could sift though to see if there were any you would like to go see.

I wanted to bump this topic to get it back in discussion again. It seems like a natural for a Waymarking category.

I think that leaving the category too broad would make it 'unusable'.

This is a very instructive thread, illustrating the complexities of developing the taxonomy to be used here.

Do you have lots of individual categories -- one for each type of museum? A large category with lots of branches? How many levels within a category before it becomes unwieldy? Then, how do variables fit?

A general category of Museums could have sub-categories for each specific type -- Art, History, etc. But one could also classify them by ownership -- National, State, Private, Religous, etc. althought that would probably be more logically indicated through variables.

Maybe just one category for Museums with Type or Subject as a variable to be defined would be better.

Whatever the ultimate solution, it should be inclusive so we don't have to say, "I have a museum to waymark, but there is not category for it."

I should say that the same reasoning applies to other categories such as Parks, Campgrounds, etc.

Hey, is waymark really a verb???

I have read thru the thread and the ideas for organizing Museums are good. I would think for simplicities sake, there could be a Museum category and then basic specialization from there. Maybe Jeremy can make a command decision to heal our woes. Regardless, not everyone will be happy. Heck, all I want to do is post my museums. :D Oh, and I am foolhearty enough to manage the Museums category. :laughing:

We could have:

Places - Museums - Art Museums

Places - Museums - Science Museums

Places - Museums - Other Museums

Have you considered starting up a group for this topic?

That would work for me. The only thing I would add is like that was suggested before:

Places - Museums - History Museums

I think that would cover it well.

That would work for me. The only thing I would add is like that was suggested before:

Places - Museums - History Museums

I think that would cover it well.

Do you want to set up the group?

Yes, I would like to very much! :) What do I do? :)

You can direct email me at: geoclay@gmail.com

Yes, I would like to very much! :) What do I do? :)

You can direct email me at: geoclay@gmail.com

If you're a premium member, go to your "my page" on Waymarking.com, and then click on "my groups" (on the far right of the page). You should then be able to set up a new group. When you get that group set up, post the address (URL) of the group here, and that will encourage folks to join the group.

Okay. Editted as much as it will allow. It is now history museums (to include one with living history).

Jeremy can you change the category title for me, since I cannot.

Thanks!

History Museums, it is.

-Nate

PS - Though technically it doesn't matter what your Group title is

When will this category be up for peer review? I'd like to get started creating waymarks.

Sorry for the delay! Things have been a little hectic lately. I do need some help setting up variables, etc. If someone could contact me and assist while I cover down on some personal matters.