Selling Price Of Coins On Ebay

mjp303

I just did a little bit of research about the selling price of geocoins on ebay, and am curious what everyone thinks.

IN (n=6) $14.54

CO (n=5) $42.65

AK (n=8) $22.95

MD (n=12) $17.71

Why the large difference? They're all really nice coins.

Is it because of the number that are available? Is it because of the tracking on GC.com? Is it just that it's too soon to get a reasonable market value? What do you think?

Edited by mjp303

Based on my observation so far, trackability is a big factor, though the number of coins available is important as well. Trackability increases the demand for coins because it allows them to appeal to a wider audience. You don't have to be a geocoin collector to want a trackable coin. Another factor is how they are distributed. Coins that could be easily bought are already widely destributed, therefore a smaller number of people are seeking them. Coins that were only distributed among locals, via trades, at events or as swag are not widely held. It's the equivalent of a "closely held" or "thinly traded" stock. Small changes in supply and demand can cause wild swings in prices. There is a downside to this as not many people are familiar with them. They're like a "pink sheet" stock, with little public information available. And people are just more likely to want the coins a friend has. You covet what you know. There are so many variables involved. That is one great thing about Ebay. Over time, this will all be sorted out by capitalism.

BTW, another factor on the Maryland coins is that there were a lot available on Ebay itself. Someone was selling 9 of them at a "Buy it now" price of $12.00. That was a drag on the price of any other Maryland coins.

Edited by IceCreamMan

I have bought 2 coins on Ebay the Ohio, was the first one, I am from OHIO and I collect Ohio things, the other was Alaska coin because it was cool. I just wanted to have these to have on display near my computer when I am searching Geocaching sites to reminded me the freedoms that we have in the USA that we can still Geocache and still have fun at it. The tracking number I think make the price higher because it has the unique number. Thanks bickhart 814 :rolleyes:<_<

All 12 CO coins fetching at least $42?  (I guess I could check for myself).

Sorry, I misposted. Its 12 MD and 5 CO sold as of this afternoon. Some of the CO coins are going for more than $50 bucks!

I'm not sure what IceCreamMan is referring to, there wasn't any dutch auction for 9 MD coins at a buy it now price of $12. (At least I didn't see it... :rolleyes:)

All 12 CO coins fetching at least $42?  (I guess I could check for myself).

Sorry, I misposted. Its 12 MD and 5 CO sold as of this afternoon. Some of the CO coins are going for more than $50 bucks!

I'm not sure what IceCreamMan is referring to, there wasn't any dutch auction for 9 MD coins at a buy it now price of $12. (At least I didn't see it... :rolleyes:)

Here ya go:

MD geocoin auction

If I wasn't raffling off my last extra moun10bike coin at a CITO this weekend, I would have listed it for the Red Cross just to see how much it would have gotten.

If anybody who doesn't own this coin wants a good chance at winningit for free, just show up at this event on Saturday. Each attendee who doesn't already own a moun10bike coin will be given a ticket. We'll draw a winner before the cookout.

Edited by AtlantaGal

IceCreamman:

Thanks for the average values. This changes my outlook on trading. I paid an average of $6 for the coins I have and they are worth an average of about $30+. I was going to set some loose as traverlers but I can't now. I wonder if I keep some of these 2004 and 2005 coins, will they be worth more in a couple of years? Or will the craze die and they will drop back to cost.

IceCreamman:

Thanks for the average values. This changes my outlook on trading. I paid an average of $6 for the coins I have and they are worth an average of about $30+. I was going to set some loose as traverlers but I can't now. I wonder if I keep some of these 2004 and 2005 coins, will they be worth more in a couple of years? Or will the craze die and they will drop back to cost.

Could go either way.

Since I only recently started collecting coins let me add this insight. I could not get Ohio or Colorado, they were sold out. You could easily buy Maryland and Michigan at their web sites for $6 each That should have suppressed the price on those coins for many people (if they knew where to look. There were still a few crazy people that bid the Maryland price up high, but then it dropped as supply rushed into eBay.

I think here are geocachers, as opposed to coin collectors who only want the trackable coins to give thenselves a new icon. I dont think they really care about the coins, just getting the icon.

I have circulated USA coins in caches, with worst case the coin is lost (or really stolen) and you are out $6 and buy a new one. I would be afraid to circulate my new Maryland coins for two reasons, 1. More tempting for some one to take and 2. They are now sold out so cant be replaced.

I just did a little bit of research about the selling price of geocoins on ebay, and am curious what everyone thinks.

IN (n=6) $14.54

CO (n=5) $42.65

AK (n=8) $22.95

MD (n=12) $17.71

Why the large difference? They're all really nice coins.

Is it because of the number that are available? Is it because of the tracking on GC.com? Is it just that it's too soon to get a reasonable market value? What do you think?

Its because whoever was bidding on that CO really wanted it <_<