Tb Hotels

Brandi Sour

Because geocaches "at or near" airports are off-limits under the listing guidelines, please be sure to move a good distance away from the airport when selecting a hiding place. A neighborhood park one exit down the expressway from the airport, and a half mile away from the nearest runway, would be a safe bet.

Someone set up a Travel Bug hotel not too far from where I live. It is miles from the nearest two-lane highway down a dead end road. I have gone to the cache a couple of times to rescue Travel Bugs that languished in that "hotel" far too long, some for more than seven months.

Another person set up a Travel Bug hotel with the restriction that five TBs stay in it at all times. It was also located in a poor location for a TB Hotel. The last time I was there, my friend rescued the last two TBs that were in the "prison" leaving the cache, that never held any swag, completely empty except for the log book.

One man, who owns lots of TBs, sends out an email when you pick up one of his bugs requesting that you not put his TB in a "Hotel."

A well-managed, conveniently-located TB Hotel is a great idea. I think you have a good idea . . . as long as the TBs move along quickly.

We'd actually thought about using a sort of In and Out box system, whereby cachers arriving here could conveniently drop off TBs (without going on safari), in the In box and for those departing the country, to help any TB occupants on their way from the Out box. Local cachers could help move TBs from the In box to local destinations (if the visiting cachers are not seeking - :) shame on them!) and assist in returning/moving TBs to the Out box as required by their 'missions'. It goes without saying that visiting cachers, (of whom there are many) would employ the same system.

Our belief is that with international arrivals from Europe and the Middle East, we could perhaps provide an important TB gateway?

We have a location in mind within 2 miles of the airport and easily accessible, but like many in the threads, we are concerned about mugglers. The paradox is trying to find a fairly safe and secure cache site without it being out in the boonies! Perhaps the airport police would help? lol

Any further thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

I think the problem with having a system is that all it takes is one bug to be put in the wrong box to mess it up. I think the best thing to do is just leave a note in your cache to remind visitors to be sure to check the TBs goal and direction it wants to move and leave it at that. With a system like you're suggesting, I can see a lot of people passing it by just because it sounds like a pain. Or be prepared to visit it constantly yourself if you want to maintain the system. Don't rely on the local and visiting cachers to do it.

We'd actually thought about using a sort of In and Out box system, whereby cachers arriving here could conveniently drop off TBs (without going on safari), in the In box and for those departing the country, to help any TB occupants on their way from the Out box. Local cachers could help move TBs from the In box to local destinations (if the visiting cachers are not seeking - :cry: shame on them!) and assist in returning/moving TBs to the Out box as required by their 'missions'.

I like the In/Out idea.

But it would need to be monitored to be sure the right bugs get into the right cache :cry:

Having said all this, I think you might be overthinking it just a bit. A TB hotel is different only from a regular cache by it's name and the fact that it can not be, by virtue of it's stated purpose, a micro or virtual.

Beyond that, making it convient so things keep moving would be the only other criteria you should impose upon yourself, and even that is optional.

Make it big enough so people can unload some of the larger variety of bugs and your set. You will still get "finders" who either do not take or leave a bug or just take a bug and the swag/McToy bunch will always leave stuff anyway. I think the in/out idea, while creative, will cause you more headaches than it's worth.

Having said all this, I think you might be overthinking it just a bit. A TB hotel is different only from a regular cache by it's name and the fact that it can not be, by virtue of it's stated purpose, a micro or virtual.

Beyond that, making it convient so things keep moving would be the only other criteria you should impose upon yourself, and even that is optional.

Make it big enough so people can unload some of the larger variety of bugs and your set. You will still get "finders" who either do not take or leave a bug or just take a bug and the swag/McToy bunch will always leave stuff anyway. I think the in/out idea, while creative, will cause you more headaches than it's worth.

well don't make it too big muggles steal that and you are in lot of trouble make sure you hide it very well. If you mess up you are going to have a lot angry TB owners. Remeber don't put it in a place over populated with muggles. Hide it very well. One more thing HIDE IT VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!!!

We'd actually thought about using a sort of In and Out box system, whereby cachers arriving here could conveniently drop off TBs (without going on safari), in the In box and for those departing the country, to help any TB occupants on their way from the Out box.  Local cachers could help move TBs from the In box to local destinations (if the visiting cachers are not seeking -  :rolleyes: shame on them!) and assist in returning/moving TBs to the Out box as required by their 'missions'.  It goes without saying that visiting cachers, (of whom there are many) would employ the same system.

Check out "Non-Stop Service to Illinois - TB Motel", located in Maryland

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8e-089453c567f3

John