Summer's Done, How'd You Fare?

northernpenguin

Early on in the summer, there was a thread about summer goals - what people wanted to accomplish.

Now that summer is coming to a close, how'd you do? Did you make it? Do you remember what you wanted to do?

I wanted to hit #500 myself and made it, but I want to hear some of the other stories from the summer.

I know there are lots of tales ranging from the bugs to the hikes, to the obscure -- like a certain cache log for #1300 (that one can tell his own story.

Aside from the 24 Hour marathon, my most memorable moment came when I did a chin-up under a bridge to look for a cache at the end, but instead found the paper wasp nest four inches from my head. Needless to say, there were rumors of a flying penguin in that area that day!

Aside from the 24 Hour marathon, my most memorable moment came when I did a chin-up under a bridge to look for a cache at the end, but instead found the paper wasp nest four inches from my head. Needless to say, there were rumors of a flying penguin in that area that day!

I had a similar experience reaching into a hollow log in Kamloops. Did the wild arm waving geo-dance on that cache. :lol:

My goal was simply to go geocaching in the summer, but I hit a large dry spot between early July and late August (only one cache found). But I have managed to log 22 finds since the last week of August (and a couple DNFs).

Now my goal is 200 by the end of the year. I found 88 in the first year (started on January 1, 2004), so that would be picking up the pace a bit.

I will finish off my second year of caching -- and start my third year -- on Sanibel Island in Florida, so I hope to make some nice finds there.

For 2006, my main goal is to get my often-thought about "Minesing Gold" cache placed in the heart of the Minesing Swamp. Since it may be a tough one to get to, I plan to put a small gold coin in for the FTF.

- finishing the GHMCMC series. By bicycle if I have to.

- completing the FLOO network series in one day, by bicycle.

- finding all caches within 30km of home

- maintaining an average of at least one cache find per day for the entire year.

- it may be optimistic, but I'll try to reach find #1000 this year.

-I've almost finished the GHMCMC series. Only one more cache to go and I'm hoping I can get there next month.

- I didn't get anywhere near the FLOO network series. Perhaps they'd make a nice set to do by snowshoe...

- It seems that as fast as I find caches, more caches are being placed. I've pretty much cleaned out the first 15km from home, but as of right now, there's another 65 caches within the next 15km.

- So far, I've logged 352 finds in 2005. I don't think there will be all that much difficulty in finding 13 caches over the next three months.

- I'm at 800 finds now. Getting 200 more in three months is going to be pushing it. It'll be fun trying though.

Whether I make those goals or not is almost irrelevant to me. the key point for me is that I've had a heck of a lot of fun along the way, and as long as I keep having fun, I'll be out there using multi-billion dollar military satellite systems to hunt tupperware in the woods. :cry:

Early on in the summer, there was a thread about summer goals - what people wanted to accomplish.

Now that summer is coming to a close, how'd you do? Did you make it? Do you remember what you wanted to do?

I wanted to increase my numbers during my summer vacation, and ended up spending my entire time just creating and hiding caches (19 in all), I only started finding caches after I started to work again. Sheesh, no wonder my numbers are slow moving. :cry:

I wanted to increase my numbers during my summer vacation, and ended up spending my entire time just creating and hiding caches (19 in all), I only started finding caches after I started to work again. Sheesh, no wonder my numbers are slow moving.

Slow moving? I think your "numbers" are fantastic! 34 cache hides is great. I found that a single cache hide can easily take the same time as a dozen finds, or more. Then there's the maintenance.

I'm sure your contribution is appreciated in your area!

I keep hearing everyone say that caching is not about the numbers, so my goal (not quite intentional) was to continue a theme set by MLord to think outside of the standard cache log. A good opportunity was for my #1300 when I happened to be Near AmazonAnnie's "Some like it Hot" cache (GCNH43). I won't post the details here as there are probably young and impressionable people around, but if you do some research at the cache page, you will know what I'm talking about.

It's not about the numbers - Long live the milestones!

Fizbot.

Hi! AV Dezign may not have been finding too many new caches, but he sure as hell has been placing them. I know, I've been chasing them down :D . Lots of walking and bike riding. Has he ever mentionned he only uses public transport or a bike or his feet to go do his caching. And on top of that, he puts caches ready to go in quite a few of his own caches for the FTF or supplies a lot of them at cache events for new cachers. A real go getter. Cheers André. Keep em coming. :lol:

Big JohnP

We had a very active caching summer. Highlights include spotting a really big bear on the trail in front of us in Blairstown, NJ, (sorry, no photos), and the best cache hike of all, the Manunka Chunk train tunnels.

We also did our first paddle-to caches this weekend on the Batsto River in the NJ Pine Barrens, which was more remote and spectacular than I ever imagined.

Our one day record is 11, we did that yesterday. (and have the chigger bites to prove it!)

We started hard-core caching in June, and now have over 100 under our belts. It's been an amazing summer. :D

Edited by Sue Gremlin

I was able to hit my target of 300 finds by summer's end - woohoo!! Here are my top five most memorable caches. A couple of these are not local to Ontario. The caches in the north UK seem to be more of the hike variety than around here (which is okay in my books).

GHAGAFAP 2005

Bruce Almighty series

Britain's Highest Geocache (my toughest to-date)

Our Toronto Island Cycling Geo-Tour (Great fun!!)

Scottish Play - nice hike with nicer views

Cheers!

C-A

Our goal was to continue to use geocaching to get outdoors and find different places. It has always worked for us and we found some really interesting spots. The highlight was 20 caches on a trip to Newfoundland from one end to the other and going to some spots like the Arches Provincial Park we otherwise wouldn't have stopped at.

The numbers will take care of themselves as long as the fun continues.

JDandDD