Bison Capsule Gasket Problems

Jimmy B

I have used Bison capsules at several locations to replace the leaking 35mm containers I started with. What I have discovered, is that the gaskets will fall off within a few weeks that result in the capsule becoming as water tight as the failed 35mm containers. I have sent an email to Bison's Sales Department asking them if they know of the problem and if they have corrected it.

I measured the gasket as being about 15/32 inch OD and round gasket material being about 1/16 inch in diameter. I am planning on taking it to a Home Depot type company to see if they stock that size.

Having any of my fellow caches experienced this problem? Has anyone discovered a fix?

fishiam: Thanks for the Sissy'n CF's store website. I notice the large SCUBA capsules with the bottom removal caps. With that type of capsule, the water would have a hard time getting into it.

Ambrosia: Bison has contacted me and said that they have had few problems with the gaskets. They are looking for some loose gaskets to send to me. Considering effort it took me to remove the gasket for sizing, I wonder too how it could just fall off.

Douglas Clan: When I get the replacement gaskets, I will use your silicon grease idea. Thanks.

I have noticed that the rubber gasket on my bison capsule caches goes bad after about 6 months. I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of them for replacements. They were really cheap. I don't recall exactly--maybe $.10 each?

I noticed that sunlight seems to be tougher on these gaskets than rain. If the cache was exposed to the sun, the rubber seems to go bad faster.

I have noticed that the rubber gasket on my bison capsule caches goes bad after about 6 months. I went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of them for replacements. They were really cheap. I don't recall exactly--maybe $.10 each?

I noticed that sunlight seems to be tougher on these gaskets than rain. If the cache was exposed to the sun, the rubber seems to go bad faster.

They can get brittle in the sun.