Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
zcoyote12

Unit Recommendation

9 posts in this topic

I am looking at picking up a small map unit for hunting. I have had a garmin 12,12xl, and map 76C. The later I just bought for my boat. Unfortunately I sold the boat now have a 76C that has never been used. Its a nice unit but little big for what I want. Where should L go from here?

The "little brother" to the 76C is the Legend C. If you want an altimeter and electronic compass (like th e76CS), the matching etrex unit would be the Vista C. Can't go wrong with either unit.

The vista c has an electronic compass and an altimeter built in. The legend C does not. You can get a side-by side comparison here.

Comparison site was great thanks. Is there any other bradns or models I should be considering? I havew always used garmin. However my buddy has a Magellian that he uses on his baot that is actuallly very nice.

I recently lost my Garmin Vista (How does one lose a GPS... At least IT knows where it is). :lol:

I've still got a GPS-V that I use for driving.

When I use the GPS-V for caching (off-road goto), I find that the GPS-V takes a long time to refresh the navigation screen. I keep walking 20-30 feet past the waypoint before the navigation screen updates and tells me the cache is behind me. :lol:

It's done this since I bought it and is very frustrating. For driving it's OK. For caching, it's getting ready to be thrown in a lake... <_<

Has anyone out there noticed this in their GPS-V? Is it the autoroute function that's keeping the V from updating? If so, is there a way to turn it off temporarily?

I really loved my Vista. It updated promptly and always (well, usually) got me to the cache location.

I'm thinking of replacing it with another Vista or upgrading to a Vista C. I read that the Vista C has autorouting as well. So I'm afraid to spend all that money on a GPS that's slower than my gait.

So, I'm asking for information and advice.

Why is my GPS-V so slow

Vista or Vista C

I need to make a decision and buy something before the 2 October geocaching event in Virginia.

Cache on!!!!!

If you like the original Vista and its speed you are going to love the the Vista C. The advantages of the Vista C over the original Vista include:

much faster, about the same speed as 60CS

tracks satellites better and faster (in worse cover as well)

updated OS and interface of 60CS

screen is easier to read (and it is color)

much better battery life

USB interface is way faster for transferring maps

The only downside of the Vista C when compared to the Vista is 500 waypoints instead of 1,000.

Hope this helps!

I've heard Garmin and Magellan, don't forget Lowrance! They have good units, but always go with the brand/ unit that fits your needs.

I just picked up a Legend C and so far, I really like it.

Ron