Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ke6n

Geofoxing

Today our ham radio club, NoBARC, the North Bay Amateur Radio Club (SF Bay Area) had a picnic at a local park and a few of us set up some temporary geocaches and a couple of hidden transmitters before everybody got there. We started off by having the GeoFoxers (ha!) locate the first cache from the coordinates we gave them. At the cache, they were required to sign in and they found on the log, the frequency for the first hidden transmitter to find. From the cache, they went hunting the hidden transmitter. When they found that, they were given the coordinates of the next cache. They went to that cache and found the frequency of the second hidden transmitter to go find. All together, there were 3 temporary geocaches (for the day) and 2 hidden transmitters.

This was a rather fun game that combined the two hobbies quite nicely. They had to use the GPSr to find the caches and then the RDF equipment to find the hidden transmitters. We've got a description of what we did with a number of photos to view. You'll definitely want to go through to see the last 4 or 5 shots of the GeoFoxer who found the final cache. The cache was disguised but something about it caught his attention. Please visit NoBARC GeoFoxing. -Ken N6MHG

Hallo from Germany

ksmichel aka DK7EO and me, alligateuse, started the first GEOFOXING-Event IN GERMANY - 11.06.2005

Our intention was to bring together geocachers and fox hunters and complete newbies as well. It was a great experience for all of us. And it was great fun, of course!

We have hidden 4 transmitters and 4 geocache stages which had to be found all to be able to find the final cache. In our game, the transmitters had to be found first as the coordinates for the stages were attached to the transmitters. So, after having found all of it, one were able to find the final hidden Tupperware box with some nice things in it. Once, all hunters had arrived at the meeting point, we had a big barbecue together.

Our next activity concerning GEOFOXING is at the INTERRADIO in Hannover, Germany. As well, we are planning another GEOFOXING-Event similar to the first one next year.

I think, it is great fun for all of the people!

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Annett

:unsure:

Hello Annett!

Excellent! I had no idea that someone else had done a Foxhunting / Geocaching event before. Darn. It looks like we have to relinquish our claim on helping to birth a new game/sport. You Germans got the jump on us! :blink:

I wish I could read German so I could enjoy your archived Geofoxing event page. AltaVista Babel fish translator won't read the web page because of an error and the cut and paste of your event description is miserable through their translator.

Well I'm glad you enjoyed your Geofoxing event as much as we enjoyed ours. I'd have liked to take part in that. (If someone else would have covered my airfare to German and back. haha.)

73 de N6MHG in Santa Rosa, California, 50 miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge in "Wine Country"

-Ken

Hello Ken,

Imagine me beeing very astonished that seemingly no one did that before :rolleyes:

We ran the event as a kind of "bringing two hobbies together", and the local ham club so got in touch with the highly mobile Geocaching-People. Fortunately we had enough equipment (ARDF and GPS) for everyone and a few people to do some initial training like using a GPSr and a ARDF-receiver. BTW: We used 80 m (should be your 75-m-Band).

We simply told the people to form small teams of Geocachers and Hams. The idea was that hams go geocaching and the Geocachers do the radio direction finding thing. Having about 5 miles to go, there should have been enough time to learn about both hobbies.

Annett and I tried to keep away from any closely defined rules - so as geocaching ought to be. We did not even have a stop watch to record a winning team. A smile on the faces was just enough to let us know.

We are a little bit proud that even the Local TV showed about 3 minutes of it all - and that's quite a lot in a world, in which so many things are worthwile to be told of.

Have fun,

Michael

ksmichel and DK7EO

Today our ham radio club, NoBARC, the North Bay Amateur Radio Club (SF Bay Area) had a picnic at a local park and a few of us set up some temporary geocaches and a couple of hidden transmitters before everybody got there. We started off by having the GeoFoxers (ha!) locate the first cache from the coordinates we gave them. At the cache, they were required to sign in and they found on the log, the frequency for the first hidden transmitter to find. From the cache, they went hunting the hidden transmitter. When they found that, they were given the coordinates of the next cache. They went to that cache and found the frequency of the second hidden transmitter to go find. All together, there were 3 temporary geocaches (for the day) and 2 hidden transmitters.

This was a rather fun game that combined the two hobbies quite nicely. They had to use the GPSr to find the caches and then the RDF equipment to find the hidden transmitters. We've got a description of what we did with a number of photos to view. You'll definitely want to go through to see the last 4 or 5 shots of the GeoFoxer who found the final cache. The cache was disguised but something about it caught his attention. Please visit NoBARC GeoFoxing. -Ken N6MHG

If I had known I would have come by to give it a try as a visiting officer from a local club. Sounds like fun

Great idea. Something for us to consider to incorperate in with our GPS Contests.

Not sure how the non-hams would taketo it. Dick, W7WT

Has anyone "fooled" with FRS radios [ so non hams can tune in ]

and made a locator beacon transmitting site....transmitting cache coords....trigered by garage door opening

stuff?

Z

Has anyone "fooled" with FRS radios [ so non hams can tune in ]

Actually, non hams can already tune in. You only need a license to transmit, and you don't need to transmit to foxhunt. :)

--Marky

I'm thinking about a APRS tracker cache for our next picnic. Hide a pocket tracker and cache out in the woods, get the L/L at our pavillian set up, go get the cache, move it and rehide. Next finder has to get the updated L/L at the pavillion and move the cache again. Idea is to keep it moving all weekend. If it works I'd like to try a permanent cache that way, with the caveat that the cache stay within a hours drive of home.

The tracker would be totally sealed to prevent tampering, solar recharge batteries etc. Anyone ever try this?

Yes.Yes....what I meant was....using FRS or CB or even FM...broadcast.. freqs to transmit on as non hams dont have 2 meter stuff.

Most non ham cacher has a portable brodcast FM reciever....and usually can locate a FRS unit....

just an idea to make a cache with coords on radio to next stage....

Use an old secutity light..motion sence or photo cell to fire up the thing...

solar to keep charged...

yes yes..know its hard to make muggle and weather proof.

any ideas?

Z

If I was doing this cache as a permanent one, I wouldn't use FRS,CB or FM. I have 2 Pocket Trackers and would use one of them. Something about 100 hours of operation with a 9V battery. I'd list it on G/S as a clue cache with a link to FindU.com. The reason for using FindU is because there are topo maps available, and it might just inspire some interest in Amateur Radio. Keeping it within an hours drive means I can check on it as necessaery. Totally sealing it means its idiot proof. My only concern is it being muggled or stolen and left to operate and I can't shut it off.

An interesting combination of two very interesting hobbies.

I had thought of combining a microwatt transmitter with a cache - thought of being the operative phrase, I haven't done it yet. It would have to either transmit all the time, or else be keyed to transmit via a receiver. EIther way, it would require a CW ID'er... Plus, it would have to be cheap enough to not matter if it was pilfered...

Any thoughts?

I reported Ken's first post on this subject to the ARRL/PIO Listserv as a great way to stimulate family interest in Radio and Geocahing.

I have also placed a permanent Geocache, see http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...70-9c0e4c326830

Once you find the Cache you are to log it via a RADIOGRAM.

Keith Watson, VA3UPL, first placed a similar in Ontario, Canada see

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...9d-b28288545102

Where the object is, also, to log the cache find via RADIOGRAM

EMike, KC8YLD

Her's yet another variation I thought of last night. Send someone out with an APRS unit. Then have a remote unit monitor his/her movement and, giving directions via radio, direct them to the geocache or reference point. Honor system here, no fair for the person in the field to peak at maps his GPS. Maybe give him a compass to aid in the directions the remote station is giving.

EMike, KC8YLD

Her's yet another variation I thought of last night. Send someone out with an APRS unit. Then have a remote unit monitor his/her movement and, giving directions via radio, direct them to the geocache or reference point. Honor system here, no fair for the person in the field to peak at maps his GPS. Maybe give him a compass to aid in the directions the remote station is giving.

EMike, KC8YLD

Or how about an APRS beacon station on a non-standard APRS frequency. You have to drive to the coords and then tune your APRS to proper frequency to have it receive the beacon. You'd pick up the 'OBJECT' coords from the beacon. Have the beacon be very low power so you had to be close to the coords to pick up the beacon. Okay, I'm officially going to try and do this now! I'm guessing that you should be able to do this with something similar to a normal fox beacon.

--Marky