Little Yellow Etrex's

HazelS

Just browsed through the page and had a look at some newer models (we use a basic yellow). Couldn't help noticing that some models have games like Nibbons & Virtua Maze. Is it me being an eejit, or is the idea to walk around a field etc. studying the GPS and pretending you're in a maze?

...And some people think geocaching's sad! :lol:

I also adore Judas (anyone else have a 'pet' name for their GPSr?) my little yellow etrex, star of stage and screen. But I accept technology moves on and it's not long before cutting-edge becomes standard, standard becomes classic and classic becomes irrelevant and discontinued. Perhaps the yellow will gain protected 'retro' status, but I doubt it.

The good news is it'll continue to be a practical geocaching tool for the foreseeable future, no matter if it's replaced by a colour model that checks your heart rate as you hold it.

SP

:cry: Faithfull little Yellow friend....sad to see them go:cry:.....having been using one for a year its a great little bit of kit,faithfull,solid(apart from rubber surround),.....but having moved to the Etrex legend with maps.... it blows the poor little yellow ones away....there again...still got the old faithful!..just in case <_<......heres something else....took both out on a mission a short while ago to see which one was more accurate..i got different readings by a couple of degrees!....strange...unless its because i have 20ft arms :rolleyes: Edited by Messe

A couple of years ago I sold my yellow Etrex as I had upgraded to a 'Street pilot' that was ok for caching. Shortly I felt sorry that I had sold it. :rolleyes: The person that bought it also wanted to upgrade and told me the Etrex was up for sale. Yep, you quessed it. I bought it back. :cry:

I made a promise that It should be buried with me when I go. <_<

i may be missing the point here, but why would anyone want anything APART from an etrex yellow? (as it happens, I have an etrex camo - no idea if there's a difference apart from the paint job!) Mine does everything i could possibly want it to do!

Reasons for wanting more than a yellow etrex:

mapping,

colour screen,

door to door auto routing,

waas/egnos,

more than 500 waypoints,

shiny kit syndrome

I have a yellow, and I'd probably want to upgrade except that my shiny-kit-syndrome is supressed by the wife-and-two-kids-syndrome :huh:

i may be missing the point here, but why would anyone want anything APART from an etrex yellow? (as it happens, I have an etrex camo - no idea if there's a difference apart from the paint job!) Mine does everything i could possibly want it to do!

...and no doubt you do your washing with a rock in a mountain stream and drive a Robin Reliant! (Teasing)

We started with a yellow as well, went right up the eTrex range to a Vista C. As well as that, we have a StreetPilot 2610 with a 1 GB card and I have an Ipaq (+ BT GPS) that does everything except make tea!

We too could have stayed with a yellow but, for cycling, having road maps visible was superb - and once you start down that road, there's no stopping...

Why 3 GPS? The Vista is used for cycling and caching, the Ipaq lives with me (Bernie) cos its my phone, car-director, "safety" camera alerter, organiser, games machine, mp3 player, book reader... blah, blah,blah, and the StreetPilot gets Sue about when I'm away and when we go abroad. Yeah! I know, you could all do that lot with some string, sticks cardboard and sticky-backed plastic!

As an aside, and I know I've mentioned before, if you own any Garmin units that came with City Navigator or City Select, you can use the second "unlock" available with this software to install it in the Vista C. This will give you full auto-routing.

...and no doubt you do your washing with a rock in a mountain stream and drive a Robin Reliant! (Teasing)

nah - don't wash at all, and i have to walk everywhere in my bare feet! :rolleyes: (actually, I ride a brand spanking new motorbike, but thats neither here nor there!

I do see what you mean, and I'm not quite the philistine that my post implied! I do all my caching using my palm and etrex, which suits my needs. The palm has 1Gb in it, and stores all the UK caches. I can tho see the advantage of full route planning, but for me that would be a luxury rather than a need! No doubt I will succumb to a car system before long though!

The car routing thing is becoming an ordinary car thing now.

It is without a doubt a most useful bit of kit, not only for the obvious conveniences, but just for the family strife it eliminates! I do still carry road maps in the car jic - but I haven't looked at one in years.

Having a postcode search facility in TomTom is superb - just whack it in and off you go - (remembering that it is just a fancy computer programmed by people)! Used it recently to travel from Norfolk to a lodge in the Cairgorms - it was hidden down a gravel track in the back of beyond - but the box took us to the door without once looking at a map.

...and the supreme accolade - when my son visits, he asks to borrow the GPS instead of the car!

Have they ?  bad mistake.brilliant little tool

not really, the gps 60 can be bought for the same price nearly.

and it does a lot more. is easier to use. and comes with a usb cable.

cos lets face it, half of pc's these days dont even have a serial connectiion.

the etrex is old hat now, the 60 is replacing it.

What 60 are you refering to?? The non-color screen, non-mapping, non-autorouting base model for the GPSMAP 60/c/cs series? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong data, but msrp for etrex base i s $106(us) while the 'GPS 60" is $192(us), are the saler discounts better for the 60 or what?

ok you get a 1mb POI database and can use a usb cable, but is it worth the extra money?,

Have they ?  bad mistake.brilliant little tool

not really, the gps 60 can be bought for the same price nearly.

and it does a lot more. is easier to use. and comes with a usb cable.

cos lets face it, half of pc's these days dont even have a serial connectiion.

the etrex is old hat now, the 60 is replacing it.

What 60 are you refering to?? The non-color screen, non-mapping, non-autorouting base model for the GPSMAP 60/c/cs series? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm reading the wrong data, but msrp for etrex base i s $106(us) while the 'GPS 60" is $192(us), are the saler discounts better for the 60 or what?

ok you get a 1mb POI database and can use a usb cable, but is it worth the extra money?,

yeh but we are talking UK.

in the UK the gps 60 is £119. the etrext is about £100.

and the 60 you get a usb cable, and a hell of a lot more.

its not just the 1 mb poi memory. it can store more routes, more tracks, has geocaching mode. better signal. longer battery life. and the list goes on.