How To Organize A Cito Event

There are a couple of areas around here where I might be able to help with a CITO event but I have no idea where or how to begin one. Is there a FAQ somewhere to help point me in the correct direction? Picking up the small trash is easy and getting some cachers together shouldn't be hard. But how do I handle large items and who do I need to see at the government level (these are public lands). Thanks in advance for any advice.

There are many ways to go. Much of it depends on where you live and how things are done over there. So, where do you live?

I live in Pennsylvania, and they have a system set up to answer questions JUST like yours at

the Great PA Cleanup.

Have you clicked over to a thread called CITO Event tips from '03 event organizers? It gives many useful tips on how to set up that day itself.

I'm in California

I went to Google and found these folks: http://california.earth911.org

Maybe they can help?

It is the mission of Earth 911 to empower the public with community-specific resources to improve their quality of life. While sustainable prevention programs are by far the best way to protect our nation’s environment, the costs associated with many of these programs can be astronomical. That is why the use of this Public and Private Sector Partnership is so important in effectuating prevention ideals. Through the Partnership, economies of scale and scope are achieved, promoting this public service across the nation and centralizing environmental resources into one user-friendly network.

Through a single toll-free phone call to 1-800-CLEANUP or the use of this Web site, you can access several sections of community-specific environmental information at no cost to the user or taxpayer.