Number Of Satellites You Usually Track?

g0t0pless

On average, how many satellites does your GPS usually track?

I am asking this because I often see people saying "I can only track 1 or 2" or "I couldn't find the cache because I could only see 2 stellites".

My GPS very rarely ever drops below 5 satellites, and is almost always tracking 7 or 8. And that is even in thick wooded areas.

I do realize there are differences in make and model of the GPS, and even differences in geographical area of the country or world.

I'm just curious how many satellites you end up picking up on your normal cache run.

Edited by g0t0pless

I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that while you are tracking 7 or 8 satellites, your GPS only uses 4 of them at one time. The 3 strongest for a lat/long fix and then the 4th strongest for the elevation. Please correct me if I am wrong. The GPS will constantly change which 4 they use based on signal strength.

Edited by gpsblake
I don't know if this is true but I read somewhere that while you are tracking 7 or 8 satellites, your GPS only uses 4 of them at one time. The 3 strongest for a lat/long fix and then the 4th strongest for the elevation. Please correct me if I am wrong. The GPS will constantly change which 4 they use based on signal strength.

Three satellites are need to generate a position, the fourth is needed to resolve receiver clock bias.

Peace,

TeamRJJO