When Should You Make A Coin?

Ladycacher

What is the proper time to have your personal coin made? Do you think that right after someone joins geocaching.com, they should make a coin? What about people with no finds at all? It's like the question "when to put your first cache out". I have been a member since March 2004, I have 117 finds, I have (recently) hid 4 caches, and I have made a coin. I don't care either way really, but I was wondering what other people thought? I do agree that Geocoins might be starting to get out of hand and it is becoming a hit to the bank account, but I still want them all :) .

I think I got my first signature item, a personalized sharpie marker, around my 8 month caching anniversary. I never planned to do a coin until I realized the only way to get a moun10bike coin was to have your own coin to trade him. Seriously, the main reason I originally had coins made was to trade with Jon, lol! I ordered my coins in April around my 1st year anniversary (I had over 1100 finds at the time). I just hit the 1800 milestone while caching this afternoon :)

Edited by AtlantaGal

I've been wanting to do a coin for the past two years. It takes money. When I do, it's not to have something to trade because that's the only way to get other coins that were made to have something to trade. It's to create the ultimate signature item. Something that people might like to have. Something that represents me. I've had the design done for some time. While I could have come to the forums and toss my coin out and sell as many as I can to help me afford the die costs and such, it wouldn't be the same as when I finally do pull together the money and just do it. Then I can leave it in a nice cache on a good day, and make someones day.

The right time is when your muse demands that you do a coin. I'd rather see a coin that was inspried than thrown together. Something that someone sweated over until they finally had it right, finally had something that represented them, something that is theirs. That's the coin I wind to find, that's the coin I hope I make.

My caching is limited becasue I am so busy with our baby and young daughter -- however, I created a coin so that I would have an item to place into caches as I reach milestones. After the initial flurry of trading, I have enough remaining to place into caches this month and then slowly over the next year or possibly two.

The idea to me was to have something easy to place into a cache, something interesting for folks to find, something I could trade. I hope to find maybe 100-200 caches a year now that I am finding free time, but again, I'm a casual or convenience cacher. I don't plan trips exclusively for caches and I rarely find micros on my radar of interest.

While I still collect as many coins as I can when they come out -- I also am less interested in being a "completest". I am now looking for more interesting coins to collect, and am interested in creating trackable coins as Travel Bugs for my own caching needs.

So, short answer -- I think you should create a coin when you have a need to have one (trading, travelling, creative burst)