How Many Mb Do I Need?

thehikingdude

The Topo3D maps are larger than Topo/USA due to a combination of the better street data and the differrent POIs. The amount varies by area, but it's not like it's a factor of ten or anything. So depending upon how much slack was in 64 - your definition of "plenty", you'll probably be fine.

That said, the street price for 512MB cards is about $30, so it's probably not worth fretting over preserving your 64... I know I've seen 128meggers for under $3 after rebate.

My rule of thumb now (with T3D on the scene and prices what they are) is 256mb at a minimum. While bigger is better, prices seem to keep falling...so my other thumb rule (the reason God gave me two hands) is to buy close to the bottom of my memory needs range, in the expectation that when I outgrow the card then the larger sizes will be about what I paid for the one I just outgrew.

I find this handy because with PDAs and digital cameras, extra SD cards are always welcome.

PodunkPaul,

Could you please explain to me how this 'after rebate' thing works on buy.com? Do I have to buy a certain quantity?

Thanks,

Arjen

You purchase the product for $59.99 before the rebate deadline ends. Once you receive the product, you generally remove the UPC bar code and mail in a copy of your sales receipt along with the rebate form and they will mail you $20.00. Making your final price $39.99. See the exact terms on the rebate form, link provided at the end of this message. I did not take the time to read it. I don't think you have to buy a specific quantity, but there may be limitations to how many you many rebates you can submit. One of those "limit 2 per household" kind of deals.

From past experiences with Buy.com, rebates have always arrived, but they almost always come from the vendor themselves, as does this rebate. PNY is a reputable company, I have purchased memory from them before and have always been happy.

Here is the rebate form for the product.

I see that Buy.com has a 1 GIG SD card from PNY for 39.99 after rebates and it qualifies for free shipping.  I think that is more than enough room, at least it is for me, so far  :rolleyes:

Here is the product link.

What a deal! I just picked up a 512MB card tonight for $30 after rebates, but I think I will have to return it and go for this as I also recently got a 12% off deal from Buy.com sent to my email which makes it an even better deal.

Thanks!!!!!

-jeff

I understand about buying the cheaper and smaller cards, however, I also look at price per MB. I ended up getting a 1GB card. It was not the absolute cheapest brand. I spent a couple dollars extra and got the 1GB ATP. It's supposed have a sturdier case and it claims to be waterproof. Since my old Garmin took a few dunks, I thought this might not be a bad idea for my card. Of course the eXplorist does a pretty good job of protecting the card way down there in its inards, but it never hurts to have extra protection.

Part of the reason I went for a larger card is due to the fact that I'm a Mac owner. I have to make maps on a PC, then load them on the card. I do copy them onto my Mac for storage, but it's nice to have as many maps as I can stored right on the card. I actually have done cross country trips using my GPS (all of Route 66 for example), and I had to rely on the Mac laptop for computer mapping and waypoint storage. Now, theoretically, I can plot and follow a cross country route using a series of maps and waypoints stored right in the GPS receiver. Atsa nice.

Parsa