60cs, Quest, G5? Help! (too Long)

ardfarkle

I'm getting ready to buy a new GPS and I can't seem decide between three units. The funny thing is they are each based upon different product concepts/market segments.

I'm considering either a Garmin 60CS, Quest, or iQue-M5. I've already ruled out Magellan models, the Garmin 76 series, Quest 2, eTrex, Rino, and Palm based units. I only mention this because I'd rather not deal with the, "Why aren't you considering the 'put your selection here' " questions if at all possible.

Here's my comparison so far:

60CS

Pros:

Rugged design

Long battery life

Easily field replaceable AA batteries

Waterproof

Large user base (more mechanical and firmware fixes during product life)

Quad-Helix antenna (perhaps)

Cons:

Requires spending ~$120.00 more to get detailed maps (City Select)

56MB memory (I would like more)

Clunky user interface compared to touch screen IMO

Antenna is fixed (non-folding)

Size (a potato with an antenna)

Quest

Pros:

Very compact

Good battery life

Waterproof

115MB memory

Comes with City Select North America unlocked

Price considering City Select (~$335.00-$380.00 delivered)

Fold-away antenna (patch)

Voice prompts (with external speaker)

Cons:

Battery is not field replaceable

Clunky user interface compared to touch screen IMO

M5

Pros:

Large display area (320x240 - 3.5" diag)

Touch Screen UI (I really like this)

Vertical or horizontal map orientation (also nice)

Comes with North America City Select unlocked

Ability to use other GPS software (Mapopolis, Delorme etc)

Can run non-GPS related Pocket PC software

Has an SD card memory slot (1-2GB would be sweet)

Fully integrated, ie no separate GPS or BT unit hanging off

Fold-away antenna (patch)

Voice prompts from built in speaker

Removable battery (* if it's field replaceable)

Blue-Tooth enabled

Wi-Fi can be added via combo Wi-Fi/Memory SD card (Sandisk SDWSDB-256)

Cons:

Expensive

Battery life sucks big time (although an external pack is available)

Not waterproof

Need to buy an SD card to obtain substantial memory for maps ($109.00 for 1GB)

Non-removable battery (* if it's not field replaceable)

Note: I know I can get 1GB SD cards for less than $109.00. I need high performance cards for interchangeable use in my DSLR (Sandisk Extreme III).

It should be obvious by now that I really like the features of the M5, and the contest would be over if it weren't for the battery life. Yes I can attach a small battery pack, but part of the idea of the M5 verses a separate pocket PC with BT and BT enabled GPS unit is that it's all in one and there is nothing hanging off of it. If the battery life were long enough that use of the battery pack would be infrequent, then I'd have an M5 in the next few days. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that with only a 4-5 hour battery life, I would have the battery pack attached to the M5 more often than not. Now I have to decide if I can live with this given the features it offers. Hold on, it gets even more convoluted.

I will probably end up with two new GPS units within the next 6 months to a year and I want the purchases to be complementary if possible. Example: Both the Quest and M5 come with City Select North America unlocked. If the version of City Select that comes with these units is the full retail version, then it's good for use on two GPS units. Given this, if I purchase a 60CS first, I either need to put up with the base map until I purchase one of the other two units (not a chance), purchase City Select and then sell the copy that comes with one of the other units when I purchase it, or I need to decide between the Quest and the M5 as my first choice. OW, my brain hurts...

If you're still reading this then perhaps you've been faced with this dilemma before, so I guess at this point it's time to ask a few questions of those in the know. BTW, Geocaching features are not an issue for me since I do all of this manually.

First, for both Quest and iQUE users:

Is my assumption that the City Select CD that comes in the package is the full retail version? In other words it's not a crippled version or an 'SE' type version that only installs on the product it comes with. Is this correct? If it cannot be installed on two GPS units then I have to re-think my thinking a bit (ya think?). Ok, on with it...

For Quest users:

Is the smaller button arrangement hard to use, and even if so, is it easy to get used to?

If you know, does the 60CS have any obvious advantages (other than batteries) that come to mind?

Do you find the patch antenna easy to use in the field? It's not the reception as much as, is there an easy way to deploy it and then pocket it so it will continue to produce track points?

Is the battery life in the field similar to the stated specifications?

Is the battery charge rate in the vehicle sufficient to render battery life in the field a moot point in many/most cases?

For iQUE-M5 users:

Is there a battery saving or sleep mode when running in GPS mode that still allows the unit to log track points?

Approximately how long does the battery last when running just in the GPS mode with the backlight off?

Does the unit seem to be well built in relationship to other Pocket PCs?

Is the PC performance fair compared to other units?

Does the unit seem to be stable, ie no lockups for little or no reason?

Is the battery easily field replaceable (~1 minute), or is it only expected to be performed when the battery pack has reached the end of it life cycle?

If you know, do you find the QUE touch screen user interface to be easier to use than that of the 60CS , Quest, or other such Garmin units?

As you can see, as much as I like the M5 features, I'm concerned about its overall reliability and usability when used in the field.

I know this was a long post, but I felt it was better to get all the questions out in the open rather than play posting tag until I revealed enough information to get tangible replies. I hope those of you who might know the answers will take the time to respond. I'd really appreciate any input you might have. I'm hoping to make the order by Tues-Wed if possible.

Thanks in advance...

Ardfarkle

Edited by ardfarkle

I've played with the 60c, the Quest, and the iQue3600 (but not the M5). For most things I preferred using the buttons on either the 60c or the Quest over the touchscreen. The exceptions were entering long names and keying in coordinates manually.

The fold-out antenna on the Quest works ok, but for keeping the unit in my pocket and continuing to record a track I'd use my Gilsson external antenna instead. It's under $20 and fits unobtrusively in a little pocket I sewed inside the top of my hiking cap (works great on the roof of the car too).

The CitySelect-NA that came with the Quest was the regular one and could be unlocked for a second receiver.

I've played with the 60c, the Quest, and the iQue3600 (but not the M5).  For most things I preferred using the buttons on either the 60c or the Quest over the touchscreen.

I know where there is a Quest I can try out. I'll give it a bit more time to see if I can get used to the buttons.

The CitySelect-NA that came with the Quest was the regular one and could be unlocked for a second receiver.

Thanks, I thought so. Now I have two days to decide between the Quest and the M5 :lol:

I have both the 60CS (my first GPSr) and the Quest. The city select that comes with the quest can be used on both units. I keep the Quest mounted on the dash of my truck with updated Caches showing. When in n area I have not been to in a while these caches showup as not found. When in the field I use the 60CS. I find the Quest not as easy to use (handle) inthe field. I would not trade eather unit for a Gallon of gas (yet). Hope this helps. Go Quest first than the 60Cs and have the best of both worlds.

Edited by chuck401

One thing I think that the quest doesn't have is the Geocaching feature that the 60cs has. I also like my 60cs compass <_< . I wouldn't even think about getting a 60c. Does the Quest have a live compass?

All though you did open my eyes to the Quest. I have never looked at it before, and it seems to be quite a nice GPS. Maybe some day if I save some money might get a quest. <_<

I was going to suggest getting a regular PDA, one with bluetooth, and then getting an external bluetooth gps, one designed to work with a PDA. The aximsite forum has a separate section for gps and it appears that a lot of Axim users go this route and are happy. Although I think that mostly they're using the setup for driving.