Homemade Cd As Trade Item

Seawind

I enjoy creating my own compilation music CDs. Since the legality of this is questioned in some circles, would it be OK to use these as trade items? For example, I have been considering creating a new cache along the line of "Hard Rock" and leaving 2 or 3 compilations of hard rock songs I have made.

Anyone else leave/find CD-R compilations? It would be a great way to discover and share some music.

Thanks!

It's illegal, even if the exchange is free (e.g. the original Napster). The theory is that if people can get music for free, they won't buy it, thereby depriving the copyright holder of payments.

That said, I personally wouldn't be offended by a few compilation CD's in a cache (I also wouldn't trade for them, since CD's in caches are often moist, dirty or otherwise not in a condition I want to put in my CD player, but that's just me).

That said, I personally wouldn't be offended by a few compilation CD's in a cache (I also wouldn't trade for them, since CD's in caches are often moist, dirty or otherwise not in a condition I want to put in my CD player, but that's just me).

Your're right, a CD with a very small crack could explode in the CD player due to the high rotation speed and heat.

When I was a PC technical I found some CD readers destroyed with disks absolutely ruined. The cleaning woman never know why she had to clear my desk of glitter sometimes.

I enjoy creating my own compilation music CDs.  Since the legality of this is questioned in some circles,

*laugh* Some circles question the legality of paying taxes, and those that don't pay often end up in jail. You gotta watch which circles you hang out in.

Copying and distributing music that you do not have permission to copy and distribute is illegal. It's theft. If you go ahead with it, don't be upset on those occasions where someone steals the cache. Just another thief, probably hangs out in your circle. :)

(Cache thief. To cache a thief. Gotta be a theme cache in there, somewhere).

MissippiSlim.

What about if I buy some 1 € mp3 for my mum , or a friend ... or for a cache?

Not a good idea. Technically it would be legal as long as you didn't keep a copy and only put it on the cd, but it would be hard to prove you did that.

One option no one has mentioned is free downloads from taper-friendly bands. I've given away live concert recordings of my favorite band in a couple caches. These are NOT bootlegs, but legal recordings that the band has authorized the audience to make and share, provided no profit is made. Following in the footsteps of the Grateful Dead, artists like DMB, Pearl Jam, Phish, Howie Day, Dream Theater, and many others allow taping of their shows and sharing of the music. You cannot, however, copy a track from an album as that would be copyright infringement. Anyway, you may be able to pull together a compilation cd in the manner you want, or even record a whole concert on 2-3 discs. Try eTree.org for a starting place to look for this type of downloadable music.

At the risk of starting a "let's beat the dead horse until it makes funny sounds" issue on this thread concerning the theft of music due to the internet, can anybody here actually say they never made/accepted a "best of" tape back in the 70's-80's. I know anybody over the age of 30 gave some girl back then a "love song" tape that you copied right from the radio.

With that said, I also totally understand the problem with making an .mp3 of a track, that doesn't belong to you, available on the internet where millions and milliions of folks can access it with a simple click of the mouse. However, I think that the idea that the OP posted is more along the lines of handing your buddy a best of Saigon Kick/Anthrax/Beastie Boys/Fat Boys/G&R tape back in the 80's due to the fact that the geocaching community is by far smaller than the internet community and to be honest, if he leaves a CD, only 1 person is picking it up compared to if he leaves it in his LimeWire folder that he's sharing with anybody who's logged in and perusing his files. I say, IMHO, it would be fine in this case. :)

I'd also make sure it was secure in a case and in a Ziploc baggie.

Edited by Jester2112

I can tell you that from the viewpoint of a cache reviewer, we cannot publish a cache that promotes the distribution of pirated software or music. That sorta falls under the heading of "illicit material" in this guideline http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#contents

The original intent was that geocaching.com not be shut down as Napster was for assisting in the distribution of downloaded music.

What you use as a trade item once a cache is approved is another matter, but I'd discourage it. Of the three or four compilations I've found in caches I only liked one. :lol:

~erik~

The theory is that if people can get music for free, they won't buy it, thereby depriving the copyright holder of payments.

Music on the radio is free all day long...if you record the songs from the radio than I do not really see how that is illegal, as long as you are not selling it. That way the people made their money by you listening to it on the radio. No one would be deprived... :rolleyes:

U.S. ONLY:

Copying CDs or redistributing music that is not your own is a violation of U.S. Copyright laws. There's no two ways or "grey" area.

Any justification you give (it's on the radio, record labels charge too much, etc.) is the same as justifying that "everyone else is going 75 mph". When the cops pull you over, they don't care.

Edited by Markwell
Music on the radio is free all day long...if you record the songs from the radio than I do not really see how that is illegal, as long as you are not selling it. That way the people made their money by you listening to it on the radio. No one would be deprived... :)

You can record it for your own use, but if you distribute it without permission (which, I'll hazard a guess, you don't have) it is illegal.

A lot of people seem to confuse "It's very unlikely I'll get caught" with "it's legal."

MissippiSlim (not a lawyer, nor a thief)

The theory is that if people can get music for free, they won't buy it, thereby depriving the copyright holder of payments.

Music on the radio is free all day long...if you record the songs from the radio than I do not really see how that is illegal, as long as you are not selling it. That way the people made their money by you listening to it on the radio. No one would be deprived... :cry:

Except that you no longer need to listen to the radio station or the advertisments that pay for radio and you won't be inclined to pay for the CD at the music store because you "copied" it off the radio. Then if you you share it with others, less people listening to ads - less CDs bought etc....

All illegal. Don't do it.

And while I did indeed accept compliation cassettes back in the '80's - I have since destroyed them because I now understand why they are illegal.

Downloaded songs from services are [generally] licensed to you and only you. Can't be sold or traded.

Leave originals only in the cache.

to clarify... I've been using a compilation CD in caches around here for a while as well... I am in the music industry and have never had any problems... the whole thing with napster was a joke sparked by greedy people including Metallica and Madonna. My wife and I got married 2 months ago andm made a CD of bands that we like... we used it as one of our wedding favors. I had a few left over, so I'm throwing them in caches. I work with record lables on a daily basis and I know for a fact that at least two of the people that I frequently talk to used comp CDs for wedding favors. I agree with the person who said that if you don't charge it's fine... and that's REALLY what the anti-piracy act is about. It's about people downloading and/or copying the music for profit. If you want to read up more on it visit www.fcc.gov and read on to your hearts content... there's plenty there believe me! I say feel free to use 'em... it's fun to share!!! And quite frankly I'd love to see a cache in my area that was music themed... maybe I'll have to put one out!

~RG949