Evil Cache Idea

Fergus

The other day I found myself thinking about evil cache ideas. I remember this cache called Patuxent Witch Cache that had a motion detector. It was set up so the cache’s motion detector would see you before you saw the cache. When this happened a witch’s voice would start laughing at you. I like to say that this was the only geocache that ever found me. The Idea I had was a little more evil. The cache would have a terrain rating of 5 because you need special equipment, but in the description it would say the terrain is truly only a 3. The special equipment you would need is a bottle with at least 1 liter of clean tap water. When you found the cache and removed it from its hiding place there would be a super soaker, with a line hooked to the trigger, set up to spray the person removing the cache. In the cache there would be instructions for resetting the trap. What are your thoughts on this idea?

I remember this cache called Patuxent Witch Cache that had a motion detector.  It was set up so the cache’s motion detector would see you before you saw the cache.  When this happened a witch’s voice would start laughing at you. 

I remember that one. It truly freaked me out. Much of that had to do with the park itself.

I do like the idea of a cache "finding you first". The squirt gun idea is OK until someone puts something other than water in it.

Soaking someone on a cold day might go beyond a cruel sense of humor. Also, what about winter and other times it gets below freezing? I think it is a bad idea as it could cause you lots of grief from irate cachers who don't see the "humor" in it. Plus it will be high maintainence as the p.o.ed finders continually distroy the soaker! :blink: You might want to try something that doesn't physically affect the finder. Just a thought.

Edited by rjb43nh
Why not go for the game cameras that snap pictures instead of ruining a cachers day? I agreee with many of the above who say its a bad idea. Not everyone has the same sense of humor, especially soaking wet and freezing at the expense of someone's idea of fun. Just don't do it.

I agree...the find-you-before-you-find-it idea is a cool thing! Don't get anyone wet 'cause that is not my favrote thing to do.

I would probably fly off the handle and destroy the cache in a rage.

Oh Myyy You may not want to cache around NW Wa.

Seen the spring snake. I just got one of those giant rubber rats to hide under a dark bush.

Squirt gun.. Ha! Caching in the rain... I probly wouldn't even notice it.

Cache on

I've been described as a calm person...OK, so I gave that guy $20 to say it, but I can say with all honesty, unless the description of this cache tells me I better be wearing my swim suit, AND I, along with my GPSr, PDA, cell phone...and any other electronic device I happen to be carrying in the bush that day, gets wet, I'd probably post a DNF. Then, I'd make it my personal mission to visit the cache ever day at daylight, and stay until dark, just waiting on the next person, in hopes it's the owner, to approach so I could present my repair bill to! Great idea, if you mention it in the description. BAD idea if I, or anybody else involved in a hobby that requires somewhat expensive electronic devices to achieve a goal, find out on our own. Sorry, usually support new ideas, but really glad I ran into this one in the forum and not in the bush. :lol:

You can design a cache that causes people to near kill-themselves by their own choice. And you can go along for the hunt if you like. We have a couple that are a tad hard, and folks going for them have beat themselves up a good bit doing them. Just make the hunts and the puzzles hard. The best joke of all is making a 5/5 that really is a 5/5. Folks can't believe a cache can really be that hard and they just won't give up no matter how bad things get.

- T of TandS

I did a cache once that was listed as a 4.5 / 4.5 The cache description warns of how difficult an perilous it will be and reading the logs of the previous finders supports this asessment.

One day, I prepare for this ordeal I am about to undertake by loading my pack with a change of clothes, flashlight, first aid kit, spare batteries, food, water and whatever other item I think may be useful.

I arrive at stage 1 which is located under a bench, along a paved path in a park. When I open it, I find a note that says:

"This is a liar's cache. To log the find, please make up a story in your online log that describes how difficult and dangerous this cache was for you"

I made me laugh. :lol:

I won't link the cache or post it's name so as not to spoli it for anyone else.

I've got to say, this is one of the dumbest ideas. Just one step below "They open the cache, and out flies a hammer that hits them in the nuts".

That adds nothing to the cache, it takes a whole lot away from it, and you will piss people off. A evil witch laughing is one thing, this is another. It's just dumb.

Although your response is couched in terms of calling the IDEA "dumb," there is a rather condescending and, even more to the point, rude tone to your post.

Fergus is one of the more creative cache hiders I have come across in my caching career and I think he deserves better.

Momma Marauder

PS... Just for the record, I usually don't respond in this manner. Perhaps you also are responding out of character. I wish for you many happy caching experiences!

The other day I found myself thinking about evil cache ideas. I remember this cache called Patuxent Witch Cache that had a motion detector. It was set up so the cache’s motion detector would see you before you saw the cache. When this happened a witch’s voice would start laughing at you. I like to say that this was the only geocache that ever found me. The Idea I had was a little more evil. The cache would have a terrain rating of 5 because you need special equipment, but in the description it would say the terrain is truly only a 3. The special equipment you would need is a bottle with at least 1 liter of clean tap water. When you found the cache and removed it from its hiding place there would be a super soaker, with a line hooked to the trigger, set up to spray the person removing the cache. In the cache there would be instructions for resetting the trap. What are your thoughts on this idea?

People would probable not bother resetting it.

cheers

I've got to say, this is one of the dumbest ideas. Just one step below "They open the cache, and out flies a hammer that hits them in the nuts".

That adds nothing to the cache, it takes a whole lot away from it, and you will piss people off. A evil witch laughing is one thing, this is another. It's just dumb.

Although your response is couched in terms of calling the IDEA "dumb," there is a rather condescending and, even more to the point, rude tone to your post.

Fergus is one of the more creative cache hiders I have come across in my caching career and I think he deserves better.

I'm calling something that is dumb, dumb. If it's a stupid idea, I'll call it stupid. If you take that as condescending, that's your problem, not mine. If you add to my words, that's not my problem. I called it stupid, if you read more into it, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I was not condescending, I was not rude, I was just stating the truth. It doesn't matter how creative or wonderful this guy is, his idea is stupid, plain and simple.

I did a cache once that was listed as a 4.5 / 4.5 The cache description warns of how difficult an perilous it will be and reading the logs of the previous finders supports this asessment.

One day, I prepare for this ordeal I am about to undertake by loading my pack with a change of clothes, flashlight, first aid kit, spare batteries, food, water and whatever other item I think may be useful.

I arrive at stage 1 which is located under a bench, along a paved path in a park. When I open it, I find a note that says:

"This is a liar's cache. To log the find, please make up a story in your online log that describes how difficult and dangerous this cache was for you"

I made me laugh. :rolleyes:

I won't link the cache or post it's name so as not to spoli it for anyone else.

now THAT's cool -

I love it!

cc\

There have been many times I wouldn't have minded a surprise squirt of water on a hot day...but like the group, I don't think I'd find it wildly amusing. With a $500 GPS, $300 PDA, and $800 camera often in tow, I wouldn't want to find out the hard way that I forgot to encase them in zip-locks before I got there.

Now hooking a Halon fire extinguisher up to a motion detector, on the other hand... :)

Evil Cache Idea-

a 5/5 called Deliverance which honestly is the best cache in SC right now. With Tube Torcher being down (or was down) this 5/5 is worth the try

Someone brillent once created one with like 7 different ciphers in one cache..oh wait that was me muahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

REALLY EVIL--Monkey Puzzle #2 in JX Fl...EVIL like no one has seen!!

The cache would have a terrain rating of 5 because you need special equipment

A terrain rating of 5 because you need a bottle of water? Not even close to accurate.

That aside, I think a cache like this would be a maintenance nightmare. I know one local who wouldn't hesitate to smash the gun and chuck it into the nearest mudhole, there are probably others in your neck of the woods who'd do something similar. It would never last.

I feel that Fergus is one of the most creative and brilliant cache hiders around -- particularly for high-terrain-rating caches, but I do not like this idea at all, for reasons which others have already iterated. my feeling is that if you want a cacher to get wet, give them a choice, and tell them up front, as in a cache where they must wade or dive into ten feet of water to retrieve a container attached to an anchor on the lake bottom, or make them climb up a waterfall cascading down a sheer cliff at 8,700 feet elevation in order to enter the cave above to reach the cache, as in my Psycho Backcountry Cache #4 -- High Country Cave (GCQNT7); where we are advising them up front of hazards, etc... To me, unexpected "surprise" wetting is not a good idea for many reasons.

Fergus, I am one of your greatest admirers; I cannot wait to see what you come up with this time! Best of luck and best of fun!