Be On The Lookout

Cacheper

I've just started getting into collecting the coins (ok, the icons!). Is there anybody out there who belongs to a group or anything that watches for new coins to be released? By the time I find a state coin that is coming out they're sold out! Then I don't want to pay the crazy prices on ebay for them! So any tips for getting the coins early?

Edited by Cacheper
I've just started getting into collecting the coins (ok, the icons!).  Is there anybody out there who belongs to a group or anything that watches for new coins to be released?  By the time I find a state coin that is coming out they're sold out!  Then I don't want to pay the crazy prices on ebay for them!  So any tips for getting the coins early?

I can send you the tracking numbers for the trackable state coins I have. That would save you the hassle of dealing with the coins.

I don't mean to jump on you (I just noticed this was your first forum post). But this mindset is more common than I ever imagined it could be. Anyway, the offer still stands :blink:

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I can send you the tracking numbers for the trackable state coins I have.  That would save you the hassle of dealing with the coins.

I don't mean to jump on you (I just noticed this was your first forum post).  But this mindset is more common than I ever imagined it could be.  Anyway, the offer still stands :blink:

I think trying to find the all the icons is a perfectly legitimate way to pursue the *game* of Geocaching. I think it's probably a better way for most people to challenge themselves than to see if they can find thousands and thousands of look-alike tupperware bowls. (Finding huge numbers of caches is fine too but most people just don't have that much free time to spare).

I look at trackable Geocoins as game pieces (which they are). I think it would be great if more people had them and there were more out there in actual caches to be found. Same thing for Jeep TB's. Getting the tracking numbers at events or online is sort of like going trout fishing at the hatchery. Where's the sport in that?

I can send you the tracking numbers for the trackable state coins I have.  That would save you the hassle of dealing with the coins.

I don't mean to jump on you (I just noticed this was your first forum post).  But this mindset is more common than I ever imagined it could be.  Anyway, the offer still stands :blink:

I think trying to find the all the icons is a perfectly legitimate way to pursue the *game* of Geocaching.

Getting the tracking numbers at events or online is sort of like going trout fishing at the hatchery. Where's the sport in that?

I agree.

But more and more we're seeing posts in the new-coin-is-being-minted threads such as:

I'll take 4 coins if gc.com trackable. 0 if not.

Kinda like ordering trout from a menu,; Already cooked with a nice side dish.

See my semi-serious thread regarding a better way to get icons.

If you just want to get the icons, at least on the found side of your stats, you can always go to some of the larger geocaching events. At GONE regional event you could log 3-6 of each coin, including a Moun10bike coin.

Last I looked there wer about 9 different icon coins with 4 mors to release soon

I made laminated copies of all my activated coins with the tracking numbers visible and then put the laminated copies in caches for people to find and log. That worked pretty well until most of them got collected and taken to an event this weekend. I'm hoping that they come back out of the event cache and are put into actual caches for other people to find again. If not, I'll just grab them back, make new copies and put them back in circulation myself.

It seems to me that it would be a nice challenge to try to find and log all the different types of icons out in the wild. Unfortunately, I just don't ever see that happening with real geocoins, hence these simulated coins. Event caches are OK I guess, but that doesn't seem like a very interesting way to get the icon credits.

I made laminated copies of all my activated coins with the tracking numbers visible and then put the laminated copies in caches for people to find and log. That worked pretty well until most of them got collected and taken to an event this weekend. I'm hoping that they come back out of the event cache and are put into actual caches for other people to find again. If not, I'll just grab them back, make new copies and put them back in circulation myself.

It seems to me that it would be a nice challenge to try to find and log all the different types of icons out in the wild. Unfortunately, I just don't ever see that happening with real geocoins, hence these simulated coins. Event caches are OK I guess, but that doesn't seem like a very interesting way to get the icon credits.

OMIGAWD. Logging a simulated coin at an event cache :D:)

I wonder, are YOU less likely to trade for one of my coins (for example) since it isn't trackable on geocaching.com?

Yours is a personal coin, while state coins are organization coins. Personal coins are special, as it took the backing and fortitude of an individual cacher to produce them. They are generally lower in production quanity and are very hard to come by. Org. coins have a lot of players behind them, and it seems that lately, have a wider market, and can be bought to get started in the collection. This is like the disney pin craze, just as it was ramping up.

I bought 5 AK, 5 MI (non log), and 5 TX and yet i cant find a trade for the 4 excess of each that i have. If i found a moun10bike coin, do you realize how many offers i would have for the trade?!

When i finally get my act together and get a coin made, i would love to trade you for one of yours....you have a cool logo!!! But to trade a state org coin for a personal coin is going to be tough.

If i found a moun10bike coin, do you realize how many offers i would have for the trade?!

When i finally get my act together and get a coin made, i would love to trade you for one of yours....you have a cool logo!!!  But to trade a state org coin for a personal coin is going to be tough.

I think the offers for the newly found M10B coin might even make you blush!

I may be in the minority, but I have stopped purchasing group/state coins since I have the ability to trade for them. When a new state/group coin is announced and you see on my trading list (via my profile) that I haven't listed the new coin, there is a good chance that I'd trade for one. The downside (for me) is if someone who is planning to have a personal coin made makes a trade with me for a state coin, I don't have anything to trade with to get the more unique coin. :rolleyes:

So, to anyone planning a personal coin: Don't trade with me using a state coin <_< Be patient.

Edited by pdxmarathonman
If i found a moun10bike coin, do you realize how many offers i would have for the trade?!

When i finally get my act together and get a coin made, i would love to trade you for one of yours....you have a cool logo!!!  But to trade a state org coin for a personal coin is going to be tough.

I think the offers for the newly found M10B coin might even make you blush!

I may be in the minority, but I have stopped purchasing group/state coins since I have the ability to trade for them. When a new state/group coin is announced and you see on my trading list (via my profile) that I haven't listed the new coin, there is a good chance that I'd trade for one. The downside (for me) is if someone who is planning to have a personal coin made makes a trade with me for a state coin, I don't have anything to trade with to get the more unique coin. :rolleyes:

So, to anyone planning a personal coin: Don't trade with me using a state coin <_< Be patient.

Like I said, why not just use them to go around from cache to cache, seems silly to me that you're trying to trade them. I think it's fun to watch a coin/travel bug I own and see where it ends up. That was the whole concept of geocoins. It's turned into more of a coin collecting hobby then actually part of the geocaching game.

Like I said, why not just use them to go around from cache to cache, seems silly to me that you're trying to trade them.  I think it's fun to watch a coin/travel bug I own and see where it ends up.  That was the whole concept of geocoins.  It's turned into more of a coin collecting hobby then actually part of the geocaching game.

I do both. I have probably traded for 60 coins (or more) and placed about 15 coins. I still have plenty of coinage left for caching and trading.