Wi-fi Hotspots, A Question For Jeremy

I just tried to create a Wi-Fi Hotspot Waymark. I thought a Hotspot was a place to pull your car up close to the door or go inside and sit down if you don't have a good battery in your laptop. I can't even imagine how I would get all the info to fill out Jeremy's Hotspot create form. Do I not know what a Hotspot is? Are others making up answers to the questions? I tried to just ignore the questions but it wouldn't let me. Maybe I should try going into Mickey D's and asking them "What is your Probe Interval in Milliseconds (100)?". Is Jeremy pulling high tech rank on me? Whatever it is I just don't get it.

Mike :blink:

I just went to check out the "Add New Wifi hotspot Waymark", and it made me laugh. :blink:

ATTENTION: TECH-WEENIE TEST IN PROGRESS

now I want to find out what all that stuff needs, even if my laptop doesn't care...it just connects...

Edited by NFA

I'm on a wireless connection right now. I've looked through everything I can find while logged on for information about my connection and I found the SSID or Network Name. That's the only question I can find an answer for while actually on this network. So, where does all this other info supposed to come from? Curious (and naive minds want to know).

Mike :blink:

Wigle.net uses a very similar form. It would appear that this output is available in NetStumbler though I have never used that program and haven't found any indication that it is. I agree, INFORMATION OVERLOAD! Signal strength and S/N ratio would depend on many factors such as how close you have located the antenna and your Wi-Fi card and whether you have your hand over the card and... All of this seems irrelevant when it comes to answering the question - where is it and how do I connect. About all I want to know is where is it and is it free. My card and included software handle everything else. You go to the location and it either finds the hotspot and allows a connection or it doesn't. I don't have to know the altitude (in feet) of either where I am standing or where the antenna is. MAYBE a signal strength indication (which most software would show) MIGHT be useful just to know that a consistently low level would make it not worth the effort to try but that information is of marginal value to me. Just as to use Waymarking.com I don't need to know the format of the TCP/IP packet needed to request a DNS translation (though this infomation is available if you really care), I don't need nor have all the information requested for Waymarking this category.

But I think this might just be an example of the definition of beta test.

I was actually going to fill out one the other day for a spot I had coords for, visited often, etc... However I didn't have most of the data available at the time even though I could get it. And since it was all required, I didn't list it... That certainly is a techo-weenie test. Though I intend to pass the test it does make me wonder if he's trying to figure out who his technically savy users are. What worries me is what he's going todo with the data ;-)

[just kidding for the humor impaired]

AH! HA!!! I think I figured it out. Jeremy said somewhere (I think) that not everyone has a camera. He also has come down on the side of requiring an actual visit to a waymark before posting it. So how do you prove that someone actually visited these Wi-Fi locations? There are several Wi-Fi sites that will give you locations of thousands of hotspots around the world including coordinates. How do you prove that someone wasn't armchair Waymarking? You ask for so much useless information that is available only to someone who has actually been there to collect the information. I haven't bothered Waymarking the local hotspots around here because it looked like too much trouble. But if I am right about the reason for the hoop jumping, then NOW I will log the local hotspots. :)

Hmmm, seems somebody snatched my idea and made it a wayfark.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...fi&submit4=Find

The heartburn I have is that when I created these free wifi caches, there was a moratorium on locationless caches, so I couldn't claim dibs on the category.

So I guess it's the same scenario as I've seen in other wayfarking threads: I could get <_< but I just have to <_< ...

I'm dredging up this long-dead thread because it was the one I found that addressed my problem when I did a Search.

The other day someone in the GC Forums mentioned finding WiFi locations by using Waymarking, so I went to WM.com for the first time in many months and put in a San Diego area zip code and got "no results within 10 miles." :P

So, yesterday I went into town and got the coordinates for two of 54 Hotspots I have mapped on my Mapsource maps. I even went inside and asked for information, but when I try to submit the Waymark, this is what I get:

You must select an option from the dropdown list.

You cannot leave this field blank.

I'm new to this WiFi stuff, having only used it twice with my old laptop on a recent trip. I have no idea what all those questions mean. All I know is the connection works. One of the sites I visited is a popular coffee shop in a busy shopping center and the other one is a County Library.

Anyway, just thought it is interesting the "ATTENTION: TECH-WEENIE TEST IN PROGRESS" is still in progress. :)

Well i support wifi for a major airlines i could fill in the info they need as i have various software on my laptop for detecting and trouble shooting. Most of the info they are asking for is not needed. The the only reason you would need a lot of the info would be for hacking. If its a true free wifi all you really need is the ssid and xp will detect that for you.

Edited by Prothos

Wifi

the wifi icon on your computer will blink when you in it if you dont have the icon

your paying by the month :D

click on it you'll connect click on iternet explorer your on! :(

aka no wires need just wifi area and wifi icon simple

W.I.F.I wireless Internet For idoits :(