Getting Credit For "finds" With Others

geojackgang

In the past few weeks, my children, my husband and myself have been along with another "official" geocacher. My husband actually found the first one by accident that started the geocache careers of the others that we have been out with.....can we go back and get "found" credit for these...or is there "rules" about this? I actually was the one who sighted one with a group....don't want to do the wrong thing, but it would be fun to have a complete list of the ones that we have found...even though we didn't have the GPS with us! Please don't flame me...I am a newbie asking for all our family...especially the 9 yo who is the geohound of our group and has found 10 or more before we had our own geo account.

Well, you are gonna get a wild slew of opinions, and here is mine:

I use find logs for caches I find. I am not in competition with any other person. If I find it with a group, I have found it. Likewise, if I Did Not Find (DNF) it, then I log it that way. If you don't log a find on a cache you have been to, then it will still show up on your list of nearby caches that you have NOT found, which is kind of silly. I do believe you now have the option of 'ignoring' a cache, rather than log a find, if it really bothers you that much.

It all comes down to your conscience. Are you competing with your find numbers? Some do, and that is OK. However, there are a number of people for whom find counts are precious, and they seek to police how others use them - which is kinda silly. I know one geocacher who intentionally MIS-logs caches online, just to keep the number-hounds annoyed. :blink: If someone gives you a hard time your logs, ignore them. Just be true to yourself and why you are logging the caches.

Remember, this sport is about FUN. If just finding them, regardless of total number found, is enough for you, then you are doing alright.

FUN FUN FUN FUN FUN

Them is the key words.

Eventually you will come up with your own opinion on your approach. For now, just enjoy yourself!

Did you sign the log? If so, you found it, and can get credit for the find.

A find means you were there. It doesn't mean you were the person who actually discovered the hide.

So take credit and enjoy your find!  :blink:

I agree completely. :laughing:

I also agree. If you signed the log, log the find online. Please be sure to use as accurate a date as you can, or note that you're not logging for the exact date, so that the cache owner and others don't take your log as evidence of the cache's current condition!

As a cache owner, if someone explained to me that they had found the cache with another person but didn't sign the log, but now wanted to claim it online, I'd tell them to go right ahead and log it.

So, If you signed the log, just log it. If you didn't sign the log, decide how you want to approach it. You can either log a found explaining what is going on, or first send the owner an email asking if you can log it. Either way I'm wiling to bet most owners will be happy to let you log it.

Edit: just counting the number of times I said log. :blink:

Edited by BlueDeuce

You were part of the team that found it, of course you get credit. I hunt with my wife all the time and log the find regardless of who first spotted the cache.

Sometimes, when one of us spots it, we'll move away and mention that we found it, so the other person can continue the hunt. That's a fun way of doing it, but not a requirement.

My husband just decided to get he wanted his own accounts so he finnaly go one and he ask me if he could log the ones he has been with me on, but I told him he would need to go back and sign them with his new geocaching name.

So I feel like the people mentioned above you will need to go back and sign them. :blink:

For us, it depends entirely on the situation and our frame of mind.

If we're all searching together for the same cache, and someoneone in our group finds it, then we'll log a Find.

If we've figured out where the cache is, and find another geocacher there logging a find, we'll log a Find, too.

If we're wrong about where the cache is, and happen upon a geocacher in the right spot logging a find, we'll log a DNF - if we figure we wouldn't have looked it that spot on our own. If the right spot seems like a logical second or third guess, we'll log a Find.

For us, our find stats are our personal history - if we cheat on Finds, we're cheating only ourselves.

When i go with geofriends and if they find the cache first, i will let the persons who found it first,sign the logbook and go down the line. i been to some cache sites that i believed where out of my league and without their help would probaly be a dnf with me. It just a game and i will always keep it at that and i only have one ftf and had another geocacher find it. So since he found it first ,i let him get the ftf prize and signed the logbook first, I just love the challange of trying to find these caches either by myself or within a group,(the more the merrier)and i do actually learn something from my geofriends and as always have FUN.

In the past few weeks, my children, my husband and myself have been along with another "official" geocacher. My husband actually found the first one by accident that started the geocache careers of the others that we have been out with.....can we go back and get "found" credit for these...or is there "rules" about this? I actually was the one who sighted one with a group....don't want to do the wrong thing, but it would be fun to have a complete list of the ones that we have found...even though we didn't have the GPS with us! Please don't flame me...I am a newbie asking for all our family...especially the 9 yo who is the geohound of our group and has found 10 or more before we had our own geo account.

Who cares what other "number punchers" think, they only like to follow the rules when it's not them who's following them.

I you technically found the cache then log it as a "Found".

I say that if you are looking as part of a group and someone else in the group finds the cache you should still get credit for it. After all you helped eliminate places where the cache wasn't and since there are more places where something isn't then where something is you had the harder job!! I think of it the same way if a prior cacher was careless in hideing a cache before you and you found it without any challenge, you still found it.