City Select Won't Install On Laptop----

jeffdks

I have City Select on my desktop and wanted it on my laptop. Using the Install disk I get to the point where it asks for disk 1. I put it in and click ok...it just keeps asking for the disk. It's like it's not seeing that the disk is in the drive.

I've checked the laptop by installing other software, it is working fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

If you have enough space on the hard drive, try copying the entire contents of the CD to a folder on the computer - see if you get any errors...

If you get errors, then it's a bad disk or bad drive. If no errors, then...

If you have enough space, copy the contents of ALL CDs into that folder and try running the install from the hard disk.

Sometimes some CD ROM drives don't like some CDs... If you have a CD Burner and a CD ROM drive, then try burning a copy of the DISK 1.

I have European CS6 (2 disks in a CD case) and also with it came a separate CD called "Setup CD" labelled "Install this first" in a cardboard folder/case.

I can't remember how I loaded it though but I guess I used the "Install this first" disk which maybe then called for the 'actual' CS disks.

I get this error all the time, both on my Laptop and Main Machine (XP).

The error you are seeing is a Windows error, not a Garmin one. It's only Windows which is complaining about the disc. (basically Mapsource installer asks for disc 2, you put it in, but windows still wants disc 1).

Just move that messagebox out of the way (don't click any of the buttons), and continue the installation.

When you're all installed you should have disc 1 back in the cd drive, you can then click "retry" in the windows error box.

I would have thought Garmin would be aware of this?

I have City Select on my desktop and wanted it on my laptop. Using the Install disk I get to the point where it asks for disk 1. I put it in and click ok...it just keeps asking for the disk. It's like it's not seeing that the disk is in the drive.

I've checked the laptop by installing other software, it is working fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sounds like the drive can't read the disc. I would try cleaning the disk...check again to see if your desktop pc will read it....if it does, try it in the laptop again. Disc drives can be fussy, depending on the Mfg....I have a brand of cd's that my drive just won't read...go figure. As mentioned you could try to copy disc 1 from your pc, on to a new disc, I don't know if it's copy protected, but worth a try...and use a brand name disc that you know your laptop has no problem reading.

:blink:

Hi everyone, thanks for all the info and ideas!

I tried cleaning the disk still had the problem. Then copied all three disks to the hard drive, it keep looking for the disk in the CD drive and would just quit the install. During all this I noticed it seemed to be writing the files to the directory I told it to and then deleteing them when the install went south, so when it finished and asked for disk one the first time I :blink: turned the computer off...I know...

After it check the hard drive for errors I started the install again it told me there was already a Map Source product installed and asked if I wanted to go ahead with the install. I said yes and everything went perfect from there on. Go figure!

Anyway it's working! Now, I can take the maps on the road with me.

Thanks again,

Jeff