I'm Confused

I saw this Waymark in the Atlas Statues Category and thought, HUH! :laughing:

Statue Of Liberty Replicas

I know the Category Owner has ultimate control over the Category, but this seems to be an attempt to creat a Category within a Category.

And a question:

I've seen a few Waymarks that give specific instructions about logging the Waymark. Now I thought that the rules of the Waymarks within a Category was up to the Category Owner. I've never put any special instructions on my Waymarks figuring that it was up to the Category Owner to decide how to validate the Waymarks. I can see directing someones attention to some landmark or something, but some Categories don't even require a photo or email validation.

Just wondering what other peoples are doing out there. <_<

I just submitted the Gnomes! waymark, it is similarly worded to the statue of liberty replica waymark. My waymark was listed immediately. In other words the catagory owner isn't reviewing submitted waymarks before they are listed. I was going to say that it is only a matter of time before the altas statue catagory owner takes a look at their catagory and removes it but the statue of liberty replica waymark was created on the 8th and catagory owner last logged in on the 15th. So it seems that the atlas statue catagory owner is okay with a statue of liberty replica waymark in their catagory.

I'm not really interested in flaming the Category Owner, but I think it's appropriate to cast a vote:

Atlas Statues Voting Page

Just a quick question that maybe TPTB can answer. Do the Category Owners get notified when a vote is cast? And is there a way to take back my vote if the Owner fixes the problem? (I suppose I could put in ten votes to upgrade later).

I love Democracy :laughing:

You get one vote. If you submit a new vote, it overwrites your old vote. Submitting "Up" ten times has the same effect as submitting "Up" one time. Submitting "Up" now, and then submitting "Down" 10 days from now, means that on the tenth day, it has a "Down" vote from you and that's it.

No idea if owners are notified of voting, but I doubt it.

This may be a good example of why a committee is needed to control a category (i.e., one dumb chef may ruin the soup...a handful (2-5) may be just what the soup doctor called for).

You get one vote. If you submit a new vote, it overwrites your old vote. Submitting "Up" ten times has the same effect as submitting "Up" one time. Submitting "Up" now, and then submitting "Down" 10 days from now, means that on the tenth day, it has a "Down" vote from you and that's it.

No idea if owners are notified of voting, but I doubt it.

This may be a good example of why a committee is needed to control a category (i.e., one dumb chef may ruin the soup...a handful (2-5) may be just what the soup doctor called for).

Atlas Statues catagory doesn't need group control. It needs to be attended to by the owner. I submitted a waymark and it was instantly approved (I later archived it).

Anyone can submit anything they want as a waymark in the Atlas Statues catagory and it will be listed instantly without the catagory owner ever reviewing it first. Either the catagory owner is not reviewing waymarks after they are listed or the catagory owner is okay with anything at all being list. :blink:

Atlas Statues catagory doesn't need group control. It needs to be attended to by the owner. I submitted a waymark and it was instantly approved (I later archived it).

Anyone can submit anything they want as a waymark in the Atlas Statues catagory and it will be listed instantly without the catagory owner ever reviewing it first. Either the catagory owner is not reviewing waymarks after they are listed or the catagory owner is okay with anything at all being list. :blink:

If there are multiple people watching over the same category, then it doesn't *need* one person to pay attention or not give up or whatever.

Group ownership would solve this specific problem unless the entire group were of the mind to allow their category to go to crap. The likelihood that multiple people would act of like mind is less than that of a single person acting out or not acting at all.

Anyone can submit anything they want as a waymark in the Atlas Statues catagory and it will be listed instantly without the catagory owner ever reviewing it first. Either the catagory owner is not reviewing waymarks after they are listed or the catagory owner is okay with anything at all being list.  :blink:

If there are multiple people watching over the same category, then it doesn't *need* one person to pay attention or not give up or whatever.

Group ownership would solve this specific problem unless the entire group were of the mind to allow their category to go to crap. The likelihood that multiple people would act of like mind is less than that of a single person acting out or not acting at all.

They would definitely have to be in some sort of agreement. Imagine having a waymark approved by one person only to have it archived a few days later by another. Or submit two simular waymarks and only get one approved.