Mt Si Cache Machine

Criminal

I'm in if it can be on a Sunday. My free ones at this point appear to be tomorrow plus:

Sept. 25

Oct. 2

Oct. 9

Oct. 30

The Mt. Si caches are on my list to do soon, so thanks for the motivation.

If you don't go tomorrow, I could go next weekend (Sept 24-25) as well, since I've punted the PA/PT CM. Or, as I mentioned before, I could do weekends of Oct. 8-9 or 15-16.

I still want to go. I was packed and ready to go this morning, then Criminal pulled the plug! :blink: (note to criminal: when in doubt, ask yourself, "How will my decision affect Og?") I rallied, of course, with a trip to REI in Seattle! :laughing:

I like the Teneriffe option. Does this mean a leave vehicles at the other end through hike?

Tomorrow's still fine with me, although we'd be cheesing Right Wing Wacko out of his hike. Maybe another week? I hear Mt. Si is a darn good winter hike when good hikes are hard to find.

I would be up for a trip to Si, but preferably up to Mailbox Peak.

Now, I only want to do Mailbox if I can stay on a decent running program for several months. I have done a small part of the trail, and it is UGLY. :blink: I tried it back in late June, when I had a time constraint, and bailed quick when I realized that there was NO WAY I was going to make it.

Seriously though, I would be up for Si on any Saturday, which is the only day that the leash is unclipped, and I am free to roam. And caches that make me sweat from the workout are the best kind. :blink:

I would be up for a trip to Si, but preferably up to Mailbox Peak.

Now, I only want to do Mailbox if I can stay on a decent running program for several months. I have done a small part of the trail, and it is UGLY. :blink: I tried it back in late June, when I had a time constraint, and bailed quick when I realized that there was NO WAY I was going to make it.

Seriously though, I would be up for Si on any Saturday, which is the only day that the leash is unclipped, and I am free to roam. And caches that make me sweat from the workout are the best kind. :blink:

Wow, great info. How come this fabulous information isn't on any of the cache pages?

That trail isn't on the Delorme map above, does anybody have a better one?

I can't find my track or maps right now but here is the skinny.

I was surprised to find out that there is a closed road that goes nearly to the top of Mt. Si. The road starts at the school bus turnaround a couple miles past the Mt. Si parking lot. It also goes up towards Teneriffe. The road is also the only "open" way to Tenriffe now that the Kamikazee trail is closed.

The "Path less traveled" connects the lower Si loop trail to the road. Also there is a trail to the road from the top of Si that goes east from the haystack trail. There is a cache at the beginning of it. Note that between the peaks the road does loose some elevation.

Doing the loop you could start/end at the Si parking lot, or the trunaround (not much parking), or you could split cars betwwen them to shorten the hike

Hey, who still wants to do this? Could we do it Oct. 8-9 or 15-16? (I'm out the weekends before and after that, not free again till Halloween weekend.)

I like the idea of a through-hike with the additional caches MA posted. Should be quite the physical feat!

Who's available when? Let's pull something together!

All right....Cruiser Guy and I have been talking about doing this Mt Si hike for a while, and we've made a plan - two, actually. Who wants to join us?

Mt Si hike - Sunday, Oct. 9. Meet 9 am at TBA. We'll look at doing it as a thru-hike, per MA's suggestion.

Top Side

SiHi

Yep! Up There!! - maybe

Any others? If through-hike, add:

Top of Teneriffe (TNAB)

Path Less Travelled

Rattlesnake Ridge hike - Sunday, Oct. 16. Meet 9 am at TBA. Cache list TK.

All right....Cruiser Guy and I have been talking about doing this Mt Si hike for a while, and we've made a plan - two, actually. Who wants to join us?

Mt Si hike - Sunday, Oct. 9. Meet 9 am at TBA. We'll look at doing it as a thru-hike, per MA's suggestion.

Top Side

SiHi

Yep! Up There!! - maybe

Top of Teneriffe (TNAB)

Path Less Travelled

Sounds pretty good to me, and it looks like I am free that Sunday. Now all I need is a hall pass.

What are the details on the through hike? How many miles, and such?

Rob

Borrowed from Moun10Bike's log

f8cb1ed0-1424-4dbc-8efe-e246c53e5512.jpg

This shows the same loop as I did. However, the steep Kamikazee trail on the right is closed so you take the loggin road zig-zagging up the middle. According to the Teneriffe cache page it's about 4 miles one way. It doesn't make as good of a loop since you still need to divert for Teneriffe regardleas on the direction you take.

P.S. the "School Bus Turnaround" is at N 47° 29.157' and W 121° 42.061'.

Are we still gonna do it as a thru-hike? Then we'll need to run over the end point and drop off a vehicle - which would be where, exactly?

ifwe do it as a thru hike the end point is just a little down the road from the start point. we can decide if that looks like a good plan and we can drop a vehicle or 2 before we start at the trailhead. They are not that far aparton the same road. I've done the other caches so it would just be the hike for me, I'll leave it up to the rest of the group. :unsure:

Would you guys be able to make any use of the GPS data that I have for the hike (track logs and trailhead waypoints, etc.)? The Kamikaze Trail is now closed, so that part of my data is irrelevant, but I do have data for the rest of it. Just let me know and I will post it.

Oh! Yes, please!! Thanks. :lol::lol:

Anyone else? Og, where are you? :lol:

I like to keep my movements low key. :lol: You know, to throw off the paparazzi. :o

Actually I'm about 67% sure I'll be there. I'll be less noncomital as the week-end draws nearer. Heck, I'll probably decide Saturday afternoon. There ARE only 80 shopping days left till Christmas! :lol:

I think it's exit 31, not 32. You can use Cruiser Guy's starting coords for his Under the Clock Tower cache (GCMDDM), which is right next to the Starbucks, or the following minutely-closer-to-Sbux coords: N 47 29.288, W 121 47.521.

One reason I'm fairly certain it's exit 31 and not 32 is that it took me three separate tries to score CG's Clock Tower Night Cache, and I remembered taking exit 31 each blessed time. Anyway, the aforementioned coords are good for the meeting place no matter which exit you take!

The weather looks great today--hope it holds for tomorrow.

I think it's exit 31, not 32. You can use Cruiser Guy's starting coords for his Under the Clock Tower cache (GCMDDM), which is right next to the Starbucks, or the following minutely-closer-to-Sbux coords: N 47 29.288, W 121 47.521.

One reason I'm fairly certain it's exit 31 and not 32 is that it took me three separate tries to score CG's Clock Tower Night Cache, and I remembered taking exit 31 each blessed time. Anyway, the aforementioned coords are good for the meeting place no matter which exit you take!

The weather looks great today--hope it holds for tomorrow.

You are correct, it is exit 31 and not 32. sorry about that :ph34r: and my under the clock tower is right in front of the Starbucks.

Top Side

SiHi

Yep! Up There!! - maybe

Top of Teneriffe (TNAB)

Path Less Travelled

So I was just starting the planning for next weekends Hike along rattlesnake ridge. Here's what I was thinking so far.

Meet at 9am at the Rattlesnake lake trailhead (off exit 32 go south) from there we leave some vehicles and head back to the starting point.

here are the caches along the way:

Goodfellow

Easter cache

H2O Tower #3

stumped at the Winery

Snoqualmie Point

the sound os music

the BIG Kahauna #2

Velcro

Rattlesnake rest stop

owen creek cache

RMT prospect peak

rattlesnake mountain - east peak

rattlesnake mountain - log jam landing

rattlesnake ridge

snakes that rattle 2

snake bite

rattlesnake cache

cedar falls

and a few more are located at the rattlesnake lake end of the hike. This is the long list and a few of these may need to be removed for us to make the hike a little more streamlined.