Why Should I Become A Premium Member?

KCMOWMAN

Since my only interest here is benchmark hunting and the data base it seems

will never be updated, what would be the point in becoming a premium member?

I am not looking for a free ride and I would certainly pay, providing some funds would go to updating the data base.

I just don't see a compelling reason to join.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

KCMOWMAN

Not trying to be rude but, the saying "you get what you pay for" might apply here. With support the database, can and has been updated, without support benchmark databases will fall behind the more central focus of geocaching, IMO. If is a cost issue, what do you feel is a fair price to pay for access to this amount of data?

Not trying to be rude but, the saying "you get what you pay for" might apply here.  With support the database, can and has been updated, without support benchmark databases will fall behind the more central focus of geocaching, IMO.  If is a cost issue, what do you feel is a fair price to pay for access to this amount of data?

Frodo, I don't think you were rude, but let me play devils advocate here.

Your adage also applied to the payers... The payers don't get what they do pay for. Especially if all they like is Benchmarks. So what about them? I am sure if Geocaching were to add a cool pay feature, many would want it, but perhaps it is not time yet.

Geocaching has never provided anything benchmark for premium , ever. It was their business decision to provide what they do for free. Their Choice.

In return they do provide the forum space and recovery log areas. Free, their choice. We have been grateful.

The data they supply is already provided by the US Government, for free. It is a public service. Geocachers who choose to benchmark hunt have many options here and many choose to pay it forward with public service.

The hope has been that someday, benchmark hunters would get PQ's and I am sure many would pay. Yet, it has not happened as yet.

Either way, Lots of bills are getting Paid.

So I think it comes down to joiners join, and those who don't, don't. They all have reasons.

Rob

Edited by evenfall

Oh, no, there are TONs of benmarking benefits. :laughing: You get access to the new Waymarking beta site. You get to zoom on the maps. You get to write your own caption for your forum image.

Think of it like your local volunteer fire department. You can get the service for free, or you can donate and get a little fire department sticker to put in your car window. Are you getting what you pay for? Sure you are. Don't worry about the fact that you could get it for free, or that someone else is getting it for free. If you feel like donating, then donate. If not, then don't.

My post was not intended to be rude. More of a prod to the staff to upgrade

the data sheets. it seems a little difficult to play your little game when marks

found can't be counted on ones total for lack of an update.

Of course I can get the data sheets from the NGS and there is no shortage of

sources for maps.

I said I didn't want a free ride, what was so hard to understand about that?

I am willing to pay to play, so I dont appreciate the wise a** remark about

getting what I pay for.

My question was "Why should I pay with no perceived benefits"

I have found the people in this group to be very erudite and I enjoy the

education I have recvived here, however too bad this dosen't apply to everyone.

I will join anyway and that person can have a free ride on my nickel.

Thanks to the others for your thoughts.

KCMOWMAN,

Well said and for the most part, not too far from the Mark.

Sorry about the Erudite appearances here but the folks are pretty good folks, and a lot more genuine than you might think. You just have to get to know them.

Going to the Prod you hope to wield, The staff of Geocaching really do not keep an eye on this forum nor cater to it's needs.

I'd advocate that if you like the squeaky wheel method would be to email Groundspeak directly, or Jeremy, the CEO. If nothing else, they do keep a closer eye on the Geocaching website forum, found here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=8

It is moderated by Jeremy, so he keeps a close eye there. That is where I would post my requests if it were me.

Good Luck. I hope your added voice will help the cause.

Rob