Coin Presale Fyi: Alabama 2005

AtlantaGal

I don't see a reason why it would be listed here until Friday when it is open to the public. If they publicize it too soon they will have more people trying to preorder like they are now which really is not appropriate given the timelines.

Ordering will be crazy now, just like when Tenn. did theirs. That was crazy!! But fun I guess :P .

I believe they go on sale Friday at 1201am to the public.

That is correct. Also while I was reading the forums, it appears if you joined AFTER Aug.28th, you have to post after 12:01am Friday. If you already posted your post may be "overlooked" to be fair (I agree).

So if anybody joined after that date and posted, you may want to post again when it becomes the right time.

Herein lies my problem. Situation: A pre-sale of coins are being offered to members only until a specified time. The instructions explain that non-member coin orders will not be taken until a certain time later. During the members only pre-order phase a few non-members put in their request, which should be deleted or ignored. However, they usually are not and they get on the list for coins, while the rest of us who are waiting patiently on the side lines until the appropriate time are getting pushed further down the line which eventually leads to someone who followed the directions not getting on the coin list because all coins are spoken for.

This has happened before and will continue to happen. Because of this, I did place my pre-order on the Alabama website yesterday, even though I did not join until the day before. However, I will log on the website after midnight and repost my order just in case. Hopefully I will get on the list. There has to be a better way to do this, but I don't know. I think they are doing the best that they can and I can appreciate the work they are doing in getting this coin made and put out.

Herein lies my problem. Situation: A pre-sale of coins are being offered to members only until a specified time. The instructions explain that non-member coin orders will not be taken until a certain time later. During the members only pre-order phase a few non-members put in their request, which should be deleted or ignored. However, they usually are not and they get on the list for coins, while the rest of us who are waiting patiently on the side lines until the appropriate time are getting pushed further down the line which eventually leads to someone who followed the directions not getting on the coin list because all coins are spoken for. ...

Very good point. If there are rules they should be enforced. I'd almost rather they did a lottery of the orders they get. Then when you post your pre-order doesn't matter as long as it's within a reasonable time frame. Then everone has a fair shot.

But it is their choice.

Herein lies my problem. Situation: A pre-sale of coins are being offered to members only until a specified time. The instructions explain that non-member coin orders will not be taken until a certain time later. During the members only pre-order phase a few non-members put in their request, which should be deleted or ignored. However, they usually are not and they get on the list for coins, while the rest of us who are waiting patiently on the side lines until the appropriate time are getting pushed further down the line which eventually leads to someone who followed the directions not getting on the coin list because all coins are spoken for.

I completely agree.

As with so many of the groups, its all volunteer. The AGA is no different that other groups, a small group of dedicated committed people spend their free time trying to create a solution to a problem or issue that will be acceptable to a majority. The theads on their site go back for months regarding design ideas, sales ideas, purchase price and so on. In many ways our level of satisfaction with any volunteer endeavor is connected to our participation level. The amazing increase in the collectability of geocoins has reated a catch 22 in many ways. The coins were created to be placed in caches and tracked like Travel Bugs, and yes collected if the person finding them chooses. The placer of a coin in a cache can make a request that the coin travel, but alas it is only a request. It seems in todays climate the coin rarely make it into a cache, unless it is a FTF prize. The AGA will use the proceeds from their coin sales as many other states will, to offset direct costs, not to turn a profit. The sale of coins after that seems to be more profit driven by those individuals who choose to sell. The collectors fall somwhere in between, wanting to add to their collection but with fewer opportunities to find coins in caches must resort to trading or purchase. I have no problem with any of those. I hope their sale make a bunch of money. Heck if they sell a lot of coins to collectors who are not geocachers, thats even better.

Hi,

Since I didn't exactly post a time zone for Midnight I decided to split the difference between Eastern and Central. I apologize if this messes up anyones plans.

The thread to place orders can be found here: http://alacache.com/modules.php?name=Forum...der=asc&start=0.

Please read the 1st post before placing your order. It is imperative that you use the proper format and have a valid GC.com for order verification.

Hopefully it isn't too confusing. This is our second coin mint but our first big public offering so we're still learning as we go and adjusting the process to try and keep the majority of our membership/visitors happy but as the saying goes "you can't please everyone". Hope you enjoy the coin and the ordering process isn't too painful.

Thanks in advance for your order and for visiting our little home on the web.

This has happened before and will continue to happen. Because of this, I did place my pre-order on the Alabama website yesterday, even though I did not join until the day before. However, I will log on the website after midnight and repost my order just in case. Hopefully I will get on the list. There has to be a better way to do this, but I don't know. I think they are doing the best that they can and I can appreciate the work they are doing in getting this coin made and put out.

Just as I predicted!! I was patiently waiting for the CORRECT time while unbeknownst to me the rules changed at the last minute to allow orders before midnight. When I went into the forums 30 mins early to get ready to post I find that public orders were already being taken and that the Gold was SOLD OUT! This is very frustrating, and I'm calling shenanigans on the whole deal. :P

Just as I predicted!! I was patiently waiting for the CORRECT time while unbeknownst to me the rules changed at the last minute to allow orders before midnight. When I went into the forums 30 mins early to get ready to post I find that public orders were already being taken and that the Gold was SOLD OUT! This is very frustrating, and I'm calling shenanigans on the whole deal. :P

How do you know the Gold is sold out? Just wondering...

The first post was edited to reflect that. Also a list of those that have placed their order is right after that.

I think they were sold out before the public even got to order. If you read onto the next pages, they were only going to fill members before Aug.28th with gold coins. At least that's the way I took it.

The list below the first post is for all coins and dates back to Sep.8th. That list is not current.

Edited by ladycacher
The first post was edited to reflect that. Also a list of those that have placed their order is right after that.

I think they were sold out before the public even got to order. If you read onto the next pages, they were only going to fill members before Aug.28th with gold coins. At least that's the way I took it.

The list below the first post is for all coins and dates back to Sep.8th. That list is not current.

That list has been edited 29 times with the last time being a little over an hour ago.

Edited by Kilted Cacher

That list has been edited 29 times with the last time being a little over an hour ago.

I see...DUH! I am tired and need some sleep...or was it wishful thinking???

All those people joined before Aug 28th, as far as I can see.

The silver coins are for the first 100 people with 1 per person....my questioon however is, with the coin groups...how are they going to know if they are getting one per person? (not to bash coin groups, just taking notes for future orders)

Trust.

There is no way to know. Toojin posted our member list in that thread. That's perhaps one way because AGA could actually email them and verify membership through GC.com.

They could also make it one limited edition per order. The coin groups then would have to ask memers to order the limited coins directly.

The silver coins are for the first 100 people with 1 per person....my questioon however is, with the coin groups...how are they going to know if they are getting one per person?  (not to bash coin groups, just taking notes for future orders)

Trust.

There is no way to know. Toojin posted our member list in that thread. That's perhaps one way because AGA could actually email them and verify membership through GC.com.

They could also make it one limited edition per order. The coin groups then would have to ask memers to order the limited coins directly.

Like I said, I am not in any way bashing, accusing, or otherwise the coin groups. It is just something that I was just wondering.

I just told my husband...( another wondering moment)why do we have to order so late at night? That's what I LOVED about Tenn. orders and the way they did it. Very pro!

Edited by ladycacher

Just to answer a few questions here:

The limited edition were sold as follows:

50 gold or 1 per person until all "qualifying members" have 1 whichever is greater.

100 silver or 1 per person until all "qualifying members" have 1 whichever is greater.

A "qualifying member" is anyone that was a member on or before Aug 28th which is when the final vote for the design took place. Hopefully that will clarify the limited edition issue. Too bad I couldn't think of this wording before, it might have been less confusing. For awhile even I was confused :)

Those that ordered early and did not repost after the sale went public and before the silver coins were sold out were not allowed to order any limited edition coins. The coins they would have received were given to the next order in line. This was decided to be the only fair thing to do for those who followed the rules and waited or reposted appropriately.

Group orders were treated as multiple individuals posting in the same post. We don't see a need for each person of a group to log on and post an individual thread then combine all their shipping and transaction fee into one. We will have AGA members validate the orders thru gc.com profiles, emails, known acquintances (sp?), etc.. We may also validate random individual orders as well just to verify someone didn't create 2 accounts on the forums.

As to the open to the public order time it was kind of a toss up. With people all across the country there is no such thing as a perfect time to start the ordering because no matter what time you start it is going to leave someone at a disadvantage either because its too early, too late, people are at work and can't access the internet, people are at home, on vacation etc. Midnight just seemed as good a time as any and the time most are likely to have made it home and settled in for the night. Midnight east coast is only 9pm West Coast.

Having said all that, this is our first major public offering for coins so we're kinda learning as we go and trying to keep it as fair for everyone as possible. I'm sure next year's mint will be different and hopefully we'll improve upon the process. :P Thanks to everyone for your patience and your orders.